Filter Cherries - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-07-2012, 01:47 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (83/100%)
Filter Cherries

So, I cleaned my only canister filter that is in my main tank 40b last night. Usually I have a few shrimp living in there but last night I pulled out a couple hundred. Some people wonder how hard it is to keep cherries, well... They live in filters! I even had some that we're berried. I'm know I'm not the first that has seen this, just thought I would share cuz of how many there were. Plus I'm bored at work :P which never happens.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1331131561.820558.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	47.3 KB
ID:	43604  

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1331131597.081698.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	50.2 KB
ID:	43606  

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1331131615.522669.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	160.8 KB
ID:	43607  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
+
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
+
+

Proper Preparation Prevents Poor Performance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-07-2012, 01:50 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/100%)
Wow that is crazy!

-Josh

Quote:
Originally Posted by pejerrey
"Give a man a fish and he will get a bowl, teach a man how to keep fish and he will get a planted tank"
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-07-2012, 01:57 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
I've found 40+ shrimp in my canister too! I use a surface skimmer that connects to the intake, so there is no way to totally block off intake with foam to keep out shrimp. They seems quite happy to be in the bottom of the filter, plenty of food for them to eat, and safe from predators (fish)!

That is alot of shrimp! Thanks for sharing.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-07-2012, 02:21 PM
Algae Grower

In my Wet/Dry Filter also

I've got breeding shrimp in my sump area of my wet dry filter, been going on for almost 2 years now....
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-07-2012, 02:27 PM
Algae Grower

haha thats just like my kribensis babies. I open my filter after they spawn and i always find babies in there growing up. I even threw some i had in a net breeder into the filter as a long term nursery while im awake on break. Works out very well. running a xp3
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-07-2012, 02:36 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
Thats funny lol. is that kinda like when you find money in pockets of jackets you haven't worn in forever?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Sump Pimp #8
RAOK Clubber #28
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-07-2012, 03:31 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWA-Planted View Post
Thats funny lol. is that kinda like when you find money in pockets of jackets you haven't worn in forever?

Haha I love that feeling!

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-07-2012, 03:40 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (16/100%)
And someone told me that they were not that hardy!
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-07-2012, 04:34 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (501/100%)
HA! And some of those look like Sakuras or Fire Reds!

|
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-07-2012, 05:39 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)
Wow - they love your filter!!

Eheim Pimp Club #490 Ecco 2232
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-07-2012, 06:16 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (28/100%)
So if I wanted to breed them all I have to do is stick some in my canister filter next time I clean it??

RAOK Club #38
Fraternity of Dirt #91

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-07-2012, 06:20 PM
Are these real?

PTrader: (195/100%)
How often/rarely do you clean your filter? Is your inlet strainer rather coarse?

post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-07-2012, 06:21 PM
Banned

wow thats awesome..... what type of canister were you using?

check out my post im prolly going to throw in some cherries in there as an experiment.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-07-2012, 10:36 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (83/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefroastbeef View Post
I've found 40+ shrimp in my canister too! I use a surface skimmer that connects to the intake, so there is no way to totally block off intake with foam to keep out shrimp. They seems quite happy to be in the bottom of the filter, plenty of food for them to eat, and safe from predators (fish)!

That is alot of shrimp! Thanks for sharing.
Glad I did share. I about didnt bother.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironpaw View Post
I've got breeding shrimp in my sump area of my wet dry filter, been going on for almost 2 years now....
Thats along time for filter shrimp. Do they still have red in them? I notice they tend to lose there color if in there for really really long periods.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chomper149 View Post
haha thats just like my kribensis babies. I open my filter after they spawn and i always find babies in there growing up. I even threw some i had in a net breeder into the filter as a long term nursery while im awake on break. Works out very well. running a xp3
Id like to see that. Thats pretty wild and interesting. I bet the fry get all sorts of stuff to eat on

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWA-Planted View Post

Lol. I would of been more confused if I found shrimp in my pocket and money in my filter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddhawkk View Post
And someone told me that they were not that hardy!
Lol, they definitely lied to you. Unless they have some weak genes but generally you cant kill these things if you tried.

Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhatshocked View Post
HA! And some of those look like Sakuras or Fire Reds!
Lol, yeah its weird though cause they lose alot of color in the filter over time. Most my cherries are of that grade. Have been breeding them 5+ yrs with several colonies. I just sell them as cherries though. I havent been on this forum for the last few years and was super surprised to see what has happened to the shrimp world and all the new variations derived from cherries. Last time I was on the only that that had grades were the CRS and then CBS started showing up. My how the selection has grown now

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoragen View Post
Wow - they love your filter!!
They must I never seen them actually berried in there and have some many babies usually just a few.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbuilder View Post
So if I wanted to breed them all I have to do is stick some in my canister filter next time I clean it??
Lol, I guess so...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasserpest View Post
How often/rarely do you clean your filter? Is your inlet strainer rather coarse?
Its funny you say rarely. Its been less than 3mths maybe 2 1/2 since I have cleaned it last. Its a community tank that is overstocked so I have to clean it often. Theres about 60 fish in a 40b. But yet they still keep a colony mostly because of the subwussertang.

Then intake does have much keeping them out of it. Prolly doesnt help it being right by the subwussertang either.

Shot at 2012-03-07

Heres the tank. Glass is a lil dirty but thats tonights mission along with a water change that is done a couple if not a few times a week.

Shot at 2012-03-07

Quote:
Originally Posted by menoseloso View Post
wow thats awesome..... what type of canister were you using?

check out my post im prolly going to throw in some cherries in there as an experiment.
Its a JBJ Reaction 4-Stage Canister Filter UV. Not sure what post your referring too.

+
+
+

Proper Preparation Prevents Poor Performance

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode