Black water or not? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-06-2012, 03:51 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Cool Black water or not?

im thinking of putting some tetra blackwater extract into my main tank thought it would replicate my fish's natural life better and just look nice in general currently have ancistrs dwarf gourami's platy's and two african butterfly fish (still stocking up again on fish so sorry for lack of interest)
they are in a well planted tank with a large piece of drift wood and a sand subtrate is this a good idea also really apreciate pics of your blackwater tanks?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-06-2012, 04:10 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

im not really a big fan of blackwater but down to personal taste really i dont think it would be detremental to you stock

40 gallon dirt tank
5 Gallon planted bonsai dirt tank
1 Bearded Dragon ''Spyro''
Normal Leopard Gecko ''Shadow''
Super hypo tangerine baldy carrot tail leopard gecko ''Moon''
2 whites tree frogs ''Ying and Yang''
1 Royal Python ''Neptune''
1 Veiled Chameleon '' Yoshi''
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-06-2012, 04:35 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)
I kinda thought I would like the blackwater look but it really just looked dirty and everyone thought my tank was gross! So do what you want and it's totally reversible with water changes anyway.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-06-2012, 10:07 PM
Algae Grower

I've looked into this a bit myself. Personally, I'd suggest an all natural alternative rather than go with some sort of liquid solution in a bottle. Look into indian almond leaves. I keep stumbling across these in threads regarding blackwater aquarium setups. They supposedly have some holistic characteristics about them and they also lower pH and hardness of the tank. There are a few eBay suppliers that offer them inexpensively for like $5 for 100 leaves.
I have also read that you can offset the tanins by running Purigen in your filter too. None of this advice is from first hand experience though so, look into it and THEN make your decision.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-06-2012, 10:48 PM
Planted Member

Indian almond leaves protect against fungus I think, however ordinary oak or magnolia leaves can be used to great effect. Also a single piece of new driftwood can keep your tank dark for a while!

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-06-2012, 11:01 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)
+1 to AL's response. My tank was tinted brown for about 2 months because of the driftwood and this was after soaking it for weeks and running carbon in the filter. If you want the dark water just get some "new" driftwood.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-06-2012, 11:07 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Yeah. I have dirt and manzanita wood, and even though I didn't anticipate it, I have quite a bit of black water. It's a beautiful golden/yellow/brown glow - reminds me of very diluted bourbon. The fish love it (especially the cardinals), and it looks really good, so if it ever goes away, I'll add almond leaves.

Pimp Club Member #313
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-07-2012, 04:09 AM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarist_Fist View Post
Yeah. I have dirt and manzanita wood, and even though I didn't anticipate it, I have quite a bit of black water. It's a beautiful golden/yellow/brown glow - reminds me of very diluted bourbon. The fish love it (especially the cardinals), and it looks really good, so if it ever goes away, I'll add almond leaves.
I didn't think that this look worked in my tank, but it did inspire a few ideas for tanks that I think it would look really gorgeous in. I have seen amazonian biotopes in the Chattanooga quarium, Baltimore aquarium, and Atlanta and they looked really great with subdued lighting, long lines, and dramatic scenes.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode