tank-related ideas for moving day, gap between leases - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-06-2012, 01:57 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
tank-related ideas for moving day, gap between leases

hey all,

I will be moving soon, and there is a chance I may be couch-surfing for a week or two. I will be staying at a house that will allow me to set up the tank (20H), but I am curious if there is anything specific I should take caution to/prepare for with moving a tank twice in a month.

I've had some struggling algae issues, so I plan on setting up the tank in the basement of the temp. house, with my lights on timers just a few hours a day in efforts to control/slow the spreading. If I house the fish in a separate tank, will the plants need any specific care/filtration other than my usual excel/flourish products and the light?

any advice experience and suggestions are appreciated. thanks!

i have three main interests: home audio systems, aquariums, and cars ...the first two get all my money
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-06-2012, 04:33 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)
I would suggest that you vacuum the gravel well before you move it the first time so that you don't stir up all that waste and cause a nutrient spike!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-06-2012, 05:41 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Slick View Post
I would suggest that you vacuum the gravel well before you move it the first time so that you don't stir up all that waste and cause a nutrient spike!
Thanks! I'll do that tonight. The last time I moved a tank, it went embarrassingly bad.... your suggestion may or may not be something I didn't do last time

i have three main interests: home audio systems, aquariums, and cars ...the first two get all my money

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-07-2012, 04:03 AM
Algae Grower

I had a gap in leases last summer and did pretty much what you're proposing without any problems. Make sure that you have an easy way of doing water changes at the temporary house. I don't see why you need a separate tank for the fish. Just put a couple gallons of aquarium water in a bucket, put the fish in there, empty the rest of the aquarium, move it, and dump the fish back in.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode