Is my Otto playing games with me? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-05-2012, 09:53 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Is my Otto playing games with me?

I bought two Otto's 2 weeks ago and have 1 left. The other one decided to go on a walkabout the first night they were home. Apparently, he ran into some considerable difficulty trying to get back into the tank.

The one i still have has not been eating that I can see. Maybe she feeds at night? She hangs out on the sides of the tank, on the driftwood, bottom of the tank and on Crypt leaves. I often see her "standing" on her pectoral fins. But she doesn't really move around!

For 2 days now, she has been taunting me by playing possum. I find her lying on her side or on her back and sometimes I see her sliding slowly down the side of the tank. But, within a few minutes, she"ll be upright and hangin' out again.

Anyone have any thoughts on this problem?

Being crazy keeps me from going insane.
Canon Pimp Club #33
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-05-2012, 10:25 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)
That doesn't sound too healthy to me really.... I often see mine just hanging out but never is he like listless or on his side or anything. My lfs owner did say that they will often be in awkward positions trying to feed on algae, but it doesn't sound like yours is trying to feed really. Have you tried feeding it a slice of zucchini?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-05-2012, 10:29 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (206/100%)
Send a message via AIM to msjinkzd
They are alos a schooling/social fish, they really do best and feel most secure in groups.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-06-2012, 02:24 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by msjinkzd View Post
They are alos a schooling/social fish, they really do best and feel most secure in groups.

Agreed and they also like really clean water. Ottos are notorious for not adapting to anything but clean ammonia and nitrite free water

Sump Pimp #7

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-06-2012, 04:37 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)
Some people have trouble keeping them alive. Mine just sits around like yours but never is on its back or side. My otto is also alone even though they are supposed to be schooling fish and has never shown stress that I can tell. Though like msjinkzd said they should be in schools.

-Mike
Mini-M Journal:

Mini-M Journal 2:
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-06-2012, 04:55 AM
TWA
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I've heard the rule of thumb with ottos is let them sit at the store for two weeks before purchasing. (IMO impossible, they never last that long everyone buys them) because they do not ship well at all. You may have got some traumatized fish. Hopefully your jokester pulls through.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-06-2012, 03:44 PM
Discus freak

PTrader: (14/94%)
never had luck with these guys. out of all six that I bought only one made it through the month. I mean I keep my tanks clean.. I might just be getting bad batches of fish ;(

Sent from my DROID X2

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-06-2012, 03:47 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (177/100%)
my ottos are usually all over the tank and sometimes not even move when i'm replanting stems that were uprooted. They are usually the first to arrive at the feeding dish when i put down half an algae wafer and some crs pellets.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-07-2012, 11:03 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks for all the input.
When I came home from work tonight, with some algae flakes for her, I found that she also had taken the big leap. Probably wanted to search for her missing roomie.
But I feel bad that she might have died because I had been treating her poorly.
I'll have to do some more research to learn how to care for otto's or find another algae eater that's hardier.

Being crazy keeps me from going insane.
Canon Pimp Club #33
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-08-2012, 01:06 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Bob View Post
Thanks for all the input.
When I came home from work tonight, with some algae flakes for her, I found that she also had taken the big leap. Probably wanted to search for her missing roomie.
But I feel bad that she might have died because I had been treating her poorly.
I'll have to do some more research to learn how to care for otto's or find another algae eater that's hardier.
Sorry to hear that. Don't give up on them. They are great fish. How long has your tank been setup? Could it be your parameters?

-Mike
Mini-M Journal:

Mini-M Journal 2:
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-08-2012, 01:33 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to jersysman
Otos and Amano shrimp seem to have the same disposition of tank jumping if the water doesn't meet their parameters.

Rena Pimp # 171 2 Rena Filstar XP3s
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-08-2012, 01:38 AM
TWA
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Otos don't even look like they can jump! I believe it though, they just seem so.. Stuck to surfaces

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode