Problem: Adding new fish to aquarium - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-05-2012, 02:52 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Problem: Adding new fish to aquarium

Hi Folks

I have a 29g planted tank that's been running with pressurized co2 for about 4 months. The original fish that I have when i started the tank are all doing well. The problem is I tried to add neon tetras on 2 separate times and they have all died.

I do 2 drops per sec of co2 and the drop checker is a light green color during the day. No other ferts except root medic capsules in the substrate.

I acclimate the new fish in the tank for about 1 - 1.5 hours adding small amounts of water from the tank into the bag until it is almost full and than remove have the water and start the process again before adding to the tank.

Could it be the new fish are not used to the co2 in the tank? Maybe I should turn it off for a few days before adding new fish?

Thanks

-Jim

Last edited by PhilthyMcnasty; 03-05-2012 at 08:29 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-05-2012, 03:01 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

That would be a first... Ph change maybe but again it would be a first. How many are you adding? Are they coming from the same batch from where you are getting them? If your other fish are fine then co2 is unlikely to be an issue and since only the new fish are dying I would look at the source first. Neons don't have the best reputation for being super hardy especially when buying from the big box stores. I'm gonna let others ask more questions to see if you can narrow down the possibilities. Good luck!

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-05-2012, 03:13 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

About a month ago I had 6 neons and two plecos that were from Petsmart. The plecos lasted about a week and the neons about 3 days. I added 10 neons that I got from Petco this past Friday and they died mostly in 2 days. I asked them to feed them some food which they did and they all looked healthy and eating.

PH=6.7
Ammonia = 0
Nitrite = 0
Nitrate = 15

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-05-2012, 04:38 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilthyMcnasty View Post
About a month ago I had 6 neons and two plecos that were from Petsmart. The plecos lasted about a week and the neons about 3 days. I added 10 neons that I got from Petco this past Friday and they died mostly in 2 days. I asked them to feed them some food which they did and they all looked healthy and eating.

PH=6.7
Ammonia = 0
Nitrite = 0
Nitrate = 15

I am wondering the same thing about adding fish. Now mind you, I'm not speaking from experience - just thinking out loud if you will.

Aclimating fish to a new environment is stessful. The fish are stressed from being shipped to the lfs, then put into a baggie and bounced around in the car, then add different water and temperature to the baggie and you have fish with some serious gray hair. Now, stick them in a tank with high co2 levels and it is probably enough to push them over the proverbial edge. The fish currently habitating in the tank are accustomed to the existing co2 levels and are otherwise in good shape. IMO, its probably the co2.

*60g
*Substrate = 50% Florite sand 50% regular Florite
*Lighting 108W of a 216W T5HO Aquatic Life hood 25" from substrate 8.5 hours daily.
*Amarath Redroot, Waterhyssop, Brazilian Pennywort, Water Wisteria, Jungle Val, Moss Ball, Riccia, Nana, Java Lace, Cryptocoryne, Pigmy Chain Sword.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-05-2012, 05:20 PM
OVT
Carpe Diem

PTrader: (144/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilthyMcnasty View Post
Hi Folks

I have a 29g planted tank that been running with presurrized co2 for about 4 months. The original fish that I have when i started the tank are all doing well. The problem is I tried to add neon tetras on 2 separate times and they have all died.

I do 2 drops of co2 and the drop checker is a light green color during the day. No other fert except root media capsules in the substrate.

I accumate the new fish in the tank for about 1 - 1.5 hours adding small amounts of water from the tank into the bag until it is almost full and than remove have the water and start the proces again before adding to the tank.

Could it be the new fish are not used to the co2 in the tank? Maybe I should turn it off for a few days before adding new fish?

Thanks

-Jim
This is actually not uncommon - I have to deal with the same situation.
In addition to doing acclimatization, I turn off co2 and run a bubble wand/airstone to deplete the tank water of co2. After I add the fish to the tank, I start raising co2 levels very slow over several days.

If the co2 level is pretty high, you will see the new fish go into distress almost immediately.

Good luck.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-05-2012, 05:27 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

i feel that this is more based on the stregnth of the genetics of the fish the big stores use cheap broodstock which will only result in weak offspring try a reputable breeder maybe
??

40 gallon dirt tank
5 Gallon planted bonsai dirt tank
1 Bearded Dragon ''Spyro''
Normal Leopard Gecko ''Shadow''
Super hypo tangerine baldy carrot tail leopard gecko ''Moon''
2 whites tree frogs ''Ying and Yang''
1 Royal Python ''Neptune''
1 Veiled Chameleon '' Yoshi''
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-05-2012, 05:52 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (68/100%)
Stores add stock all the time (at least once a week) and you risk all your current fish everytime new things are added to the tank. Big box stores can be the worst.

Quarantine first then add the survivors to you're system.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If at first you don't succeed,,, keep kicking it
RubberSideDownOnTheLanding,
2-75g planted, 3-55g planted, 110g w/30g sump, 2018 update returning to sanity (Nutz)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-05-2012, 05:57 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OVT View Post
This is actually not uncommon - I have to deal with the same situation.
In addition to doing acclimatization, I turn off co2 and run a bubble wand/airstone to deplete the tank water of co2. After I add the fish to the tank, I start raising co2 levels very slow over several days.

If the co2 level is pretty high, you will see the new fish go into distress almost immediately.

Good luck.
OVT has it spot on right here. If your using CO2 then you should be doing this for new inhabitants that your adding to the tank. I follow this very procedure he stated when adding any new livestock.

If you don't you can expect to lose fish. Just my experience.

Sun Sun pimp #72
RAOK CLUB # 68

Conway
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-05-2012, 06:00 PM
Planted Tank Guru

All the stresses of acclimation as suggested above can certainly happen, also if the fish have any low level infection the stresses can make it worse so they can die of whatever they are infected with. The worst part of these stresses is water with higher or lower mineral and salt level than they are accustomed to.

Test the GH, KH and TDS in the bag. Even better, go to the store ahead of time and test it in their tanks. Explain that you have had problems acclimating the fish and you are setting up a quarantine tank.

Set up a quarantine tank that matches those parameters.
When you know you will buy fish within 24 hours add some cycled media to the filter, and some plant cuttings. Let the plants drift in the tank.

When you bring the fish home acclimate them to the Q-tank. This should be really easy, it is very similar to the water they were in at the store. However, to make it even easier on them you can drip acclimate if you feel you need to.

While the fish are in quarantine watch for diseases and parasites. If they need any medication, do so.
Also, gradually change the water chemistry in the Q-tank until it matches your display tank. Most important: I make the TDS match the store water by starting with the GH & KH. One store near me adds salt, so I do too, when I buy from that store. Over the quarantine time many water changes lower the water hardness, and remove the salt. The fishes bodies change to be able to deal with the changing levels of minerals and salt. It takes a while for them to change like that, it cannot happen in just an hour or two.
Time in quarantine will be at least 1 month past the time that any medications were used.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-06-2012, 08:24 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Thanks for all the advice. I had a feeling it might be the co2 in the tank but wasn't 100% sure. I'll need to get a cheap 10g tank to use as a quarantine tank at some point, just really don't have the room right now.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode