What are these eggs? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-05-2012, 12:37 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
What are these eggs?

I was looking at my tank this morning and found these eggs... not sure who's been laying in my tank. Any idea or it'll just be a wait and find out kinda thing. I took a pic but,it's not very clear with my phone. The fish keep nipping at them. My thought is that they're snials but, I guess we'll see.

Here's the pic, the eggs are the candycane looking smear just under the root...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-05-2012, 01:05 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

what fish do you have in the tank

40 gallon dirt tank
5 Gallon planted bonsai dirt tank
1 Bearded Dragon ''Spyro''
Normal Leopard Gecko ''Shadow''
Super hypo tangerine baldy carrot tail leopard gecko ''Moon''
2 whites tree frogs ''Ying and Yang''
1 Royal Python ''Neptune''
1 Veiled Chameleon '' Yoshi''
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-05-2012, 01:16 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (23/100%)
If you have snails in your tank then I would say snail eggs almost certainly.

Kim

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-05-2012, 03:26 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (501/100%)
Looks a lot like Ramshorn eggs - if you have those in your tank.

|
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-05-2012, 04:45 PM
Algae Grower

Snails...I've had my tank setup for two weeks with nothing in it but five brown snails from incoming plants...these eggs are now everywhere and I've seen my snails mating twice!
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-05-2012, 05:03 PM
Plant Clown

PTrader: (32/100%)
Yeah, they do that. You'll soon have more snails than you can possibly count. You can drive yourself crazy trying to eliminate them. Alternatively, you can just let them be - they're harmless. I add extra sinking pellets to my tanks to cultivate them as a slow-motion clean-up crew
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-05-2012, 05:07 PM
Algae Grower

Lol my snails are crazy fast!!! I have one apple snail and he's a tortoise compared to my little brown snails. They are a great cleanup crew and have cleare my driftwood of fungus in about two weeks but they refuse to use the litter box in the corner of the tank lol
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-05-2012, 05:22 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

A few neons, a few aussie rainbows, one rasbora het and 6 ghost shrimp... The snails came in with some plants so, not sure what they are other than just... Snails... :p

I scoop a few out here and there to treat my cichlids. love watching them eat, they suck 'em right out of shell like oysters...

Sent from Anthony using Tapatalk
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-06-2012, 10:53 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Came home today and the egg smear is gone!!!! I suspect someone had a snack...
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-07-2012, 03:42 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (501/100%)
Or they all hatched out. Sometimes the speed at which those suckers hatch is surprising.

|
|
|
|
|
|
|

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode