Apparently I'm going high tech here... Questions! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-05-2012, 06:21 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Apparently I'm going high tech here... Questions!

Apparently I am going high tech... With my lighting I was told I would probably be best served doing a pressurized CO2 system. I have configured what I believe will be what I need on Amazon, but I'd like you guys to approve this list before I pull the trigger:

Fluval CO2 Indicator - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=ATVPDKIKX0DER

7ft. CO2 Tubing - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...A3MD0713A3NPNS

Diffuser - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...A236I41WO11MJR

Regulator/Solenoid - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...A34950EJPC3UHN

I am doing the paintball adapter and buying 2 x 20oz. tanks.

Does this all look good? I am getting a bit nervous because I hear that keeping CO2 balanced is very important for livestock... Thanks!

Cason
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-05-2012, 06:51 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
Really its not all that difficult. BUT let me recommend for you to check with some sources that might be able to help you with some great prices, Support and good products.

But some questions first.....

How big is your tank set up? What are you using for filtration and current in the tank? What exactly is your lighting? What plants are you going to do and how many you have now? Are you going to do a fert dose routine? What is your live stock and how much live stock?

If your looking for Co2 Drop Checker (indicator) And a diffuser. PM Mordalphus here on the forums as He has great products and great deals.

If you want a good regulator and set up Check with Maknwar, OldPunk, or Bettatail here on the forums as well. They also probably carry your Co2 tubing.

You mention using paint ball tanks? Really unless your tank is SUPER SMALL I wouldnt recommend it. Id say get at least a 5lb unit. Even if its a smaller tank. The 5lbs would last a long time and less issues.

As far as dialing in a system its pretty easy. Just remember let your fish and your plants be the guide to tell you when you have enough or to much or to little. A drop checker aka Co2 indicator is a great tool but not THE most accurate way. Your fish will show signs long before your drop checker will. Id still get one.. but just advice on what to use.

Little more info and im sure we can get you figured out.

Sun Sun pimp #72
RAOK CLUB # 68

Conway
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-05-2012, 07:29 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I have a 60G. 48"Lx13"Wx24"H. I am currently using a Fluval 406 and a Finnex 360 HOB canister. I may end up going with a small Fluval in the place of the finnnex because it has a small flow rate. I may also get a powerhead or something to sort out any flow issues I may have. The 406 suprised me because the flow rate doesn't seem that strong at all...

I will be using 2x54W T5HO, roughly 3 inches from water. I am starting with Jungle Val for background and dwarf sag for foreground. I hope to do some rotala and some others after I get my driftwood placed. Soon the back wall of the tank will be lined with jungle val. I wont placed the sag until I get driftwood placed. I will be ferting with excel, flourish, iron, and any others that I NEED. Haven't exactly figured that out, but I figure excel, flourish and iron will get me started. I don't have any livestock yet, and Im bouncing between bosemani rainbows, gbr's, and a big school of tetras (not sure which yet). Probably some loaches and/or cory's as well.

I didn't realize a small tank wouldnt last long. Thanks for that! I will probably get 2 5lb. tanks so I have one filled and ready at all times.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-05-2012, 09:01 AM
Wannabe Guru

Yea, for a 60G tank the Paintball set up wouldnt have enough Co2 to last you very long. Maybe a couple weeks to a month.. Maybe.. With a 5lb tank you should be good for the next 8 months to year.. With a 10lb tank over that a long ways. But good idea to have a spare.

Sounds like the filtration will work fine, and the good news with your filtration you can use it to help you disperse your Co2 more effectively. Canisters work great in several ways to do this. As well as use the Canisters and the spray bars by getting creative to make sure the tank has a nice even flow throughout as this well help greatly in your Co2 dispersion throughout the entire tank. Id use the finnex and reduce the pressure from its flow by drilling the holes in the spray bar a little bigger around. It will have more or equal flow but less force entering the tank. Having the Co2 get moved around the entire tank is quite important as well. Id also recommend some nice surface ripple for a little gas exchange. If you use the canisters to your advantage no need for a powerhead. One less piece of equip in the tank.

As far as your ferts, If you havent already got the Seachem stuff you listed, Id recommend saving yourself a buck or 5 and getting some dry ferts. Both Macro and Micro. The Flourish isnt complete macro and micro. The Excel is a Carbon suppliment, and the Iron you could still use. But for $19.00 you can get all your macro and micro. with Plantx CSM+B and NPK. That would probably last your for 8 months to a year for that tank. Of course id still say use the Excel and you could get iron Chelate in dry as well and last you forever. Would only add like 3 or 4 bucks to the $19.

I would also recommend to not use a Diffuser like you picked for a tank this size. Reason being is it normally wont do a good enough job to put the CO2 into the water for a tank this size. What id recommend would be either a Reactor or a Needle wheel set up. I use a reactor plumbed into the out put line of my canister filter. I uses the Cerges reactor. Here is a Build on it...

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/di...2-reactor.html

That will help dissolve the Co2 100% and get it into your tank. Its also nice cause you dont have your tank water looking like 7up when using diffusers. The nice thing is a reactor like this cost about $25 or less to build.

Again Check with the guys I named and see what they can help you with for the parts you need.

Sun Sun pimp #72
RAOK CLUB # 68

Conway
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-05-2012, 02:24 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)
Doesn't 16 Oz equal one pound? So wouldn't a paintball tank at 20 Oz be one quarter of a five pound tank? So if a five pound tank lasta eight months to a year wouldn't a paintball tank last two to three months? I'm only asking because I'm considering using one myself!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-05-2012, 03:43 PM
Wannabe Guru

Depends on tank size, plant load and rate you add co2. But with bigger tanks over 50 gallon you should be using a larger cylinder. Besides the expense to fill a larger cylinder isn't that much more then smaller ones. I'm not sure the math works out for use from the way your thinking. Other varied things brought into the calculation.

Sun Sun pimp #72
RAOK CLUB # 68

Conway
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-05-2012, 04:03 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Ahh ok... Makes good sense. However, I planned on diffusing through my filter... Just plumbing co2 output into the input of the fluval... Will this method suffice?
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-05-2012, 04:12 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
I'd definitely get a 5lb co2 cylinder from beveragefactory.com
The hassle of refilling a paintball co2 tank as often as you will need too... just sounds awful.
The paintball people are really typically dumb too and won't fill it up all the way, or they fill by pressure, all sorts of dumb stuff..

If you have some extra cash, getting a nice regulator and solenoid (post body kit) will make you so happy...
But almost everyone starts with a cheapo regulator, I did, and then I had a semi-cheapo one that I custom built, and then I got a kick ass dual-stage regulator, and oddly enough it was pretty much the same price.
I'd never go back to using a cheapo.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-05-2012, 05:21 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

5lb'er it is! What do you think about diffusing via a cannister filter? Anyone had good success with this method?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode