New here and to this hobby. Need help with planted tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-05-2012, 04:18 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
New here and to this hobby. Need help with planted tank

I have a 5 gallon minibow tank. I have 5 neons, 4 crystal shrimp and 1 rock shrimp.
There is Java Moss, Java fern, Amazon Sword, Hemianthus Callitrichoides and 3 other plants.

!.)The minibow filter makes very little current for the rock shrimp so I bought a small AquaClear powerhead for 5-10gallon tank. Problem is I find it too loud. The desk it's on seems to carry the vibration noise of the powerhead. What can I do? Any small silent power heads out there?

2.)It says not to submerge the pump below the water line. But because of the lip of the top of the tank I would have to drain some water out and have about 1" less of water which i don't want.
Can the powerhead be submerged?

3.)I had film on the surface of the water so i tried running an air pump with a fine air stone. The film is now gone. Can the air pump be on 24 hours or should it be off at night?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-05-2012, 04:35 AM
Algae Grower

You could try setting your tank on top of something to cancel out the vibration. It would be more helpful if you were more clear on the powerhead. And yes you can run an airpump 24/7. But idk if you would want to since you have a planted tank.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-05-2012, 04:40 AM
Algae Grower

I was unclear, i meant something like styrofoam? idk. i am also a newbie so thats all i thought of. Goodluck

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-05-2012, 05:30 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)
I'm not really sure what a rock shrimp is. A google search only comes back with rock shrimp as food. When you talk about current for it I'm wondering is it maybe a Bamboo Shrimp? I know they are filter feeders and need current.

If it is a Bamboo Shrimp I've read they need larger aquariums and would be best in a well established tank (not sure how long yours has been running and cycled).

I have the same tank for my betta and in my opinion the neons wouldn't have nearly enough room to swim around in there.

As far as the plants go, what kind of substrate do you have and what kind of lighting are you using?
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-05-2012, 06:45 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

it's wood/bamboo shrimp. i feed him fish flakes and he seems to be doing good. I've got a lot of hiding spots for the fish. They seem happy as they swim in between plants and through holes in the rocks. They are very calm watching the bamboo shrimp or the crystal shrimp. The tank has been running for 2 months. For light i upgraded to
zoo med utra sun 10w. For substrate i have topfin gravel. It's not the greatest gravel but will do for now until i upgrade to 20 or 30 gal long tank.
Should I be using seachem flourish supplement?
I spotted a baby shrimp today. Not sure how and where he came from.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-06-2012, 04:15 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

bump
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-06-2012, 04:32 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)
You can use the flourish supplement. Atleast it won't hurt. Also since you are using gravel you may want to get some root tabs to make your root feeding plants happy. They can be found at Petsmart. Also if your not injecting co2 then I don't think it really matters how long you have the air pump on for.

-Mike
Mini-M Journal:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mini-M Journal 2:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode