Photocycle/Light Schedule - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-05-2012, 03:58 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Photocycle/Light Schedule

So I purchased my light fixture the other night: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...00_i00_details

It is roughly half the depth of my tank so I will have room for another 5-6" wide fixture. I really want alot of viewing time as I usually work late and the only times I get to enjoy the tank will be late at night. I am thinking about adding an LED fixture so I can still have controlled CO2 and grow lighting, but can also still have moonlight and viewing time.

I guess the question I am asking is would this be a way to go? Basically, have the T5HO on for 5-6 hours a day (scheduled on a timer), as well as the LED on for long lengths of time, and at night (my bedtime), have some moonlight action from LED as well? What do you think?

I couldn't find this posted anywhere else so thanks for your help!

Cason
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-05-2012, 04:12 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Also, anyone who can suggest a light schedule will be greatly appreciate. 5-6 hours was just a median number that I threw out there. By no means am I set in stone about that. Thanks!
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-05-2012, 05:26 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

To the top.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-05-2012, 05:36 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
You want around 8 -10 hour photo period just like outside. now if you start getting algea, or poor growth you will need to adjust accordingly

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Sump Pimp #8
RAOK Clubber #28
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-05-2012, 08:03 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Ok. I plan on keeping the T5's on a schedule, but would I HAVE to do the same for LED? Again, I want extended viewing time without messing up a phot/co2 schedule.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-05-2012, 09:14 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
So your going to run t5, and want daytime LEDs for extended viewing time? Just making sure I am on the same page....

Not really sure... Due to the differences in leds haven't really seen a PAR chart :-/ if your a diy kinda person some LEDs setup with reds and oranges to give a sunset / sunrise look would look pretty sweet and probably allow you a longer viewing window, just remember your fish need a dark period to in order to relax, since they don't really sleep, and don't worry moon lights don't disrupt that.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Sump Pimp #8
RAOK Clubber #28
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-05-2012, 09:55 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

yes. basically the t5ho for co2/light schedule, and LED for post schedule viewing, assuming LED wont affect photosynthesis to the point where I have to worry about it.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-05-2012, 10:33 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)
If you get a real high-par led system with optics than you're looking at a system that is even stronger than a t5 ho.. so I would just recommend that you change when the photoperiod is occurring.. I, like you, want to see my fish at night time when I'm at home doing homework or whatever. It's no fun to always see a dark tank. So I have my photoperiod set from 10am to 10pm and I can view it under full light while I'm home. I don't have a spec of algae in my tank and certainly no amount that I would consider a problem. My tanks been running with this photoperiod for about six weeks and I really like it. My plants grow a lot and my fish and everything seem very happy.

I feel like this is certainly the cheapest option for you.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-05-2012, 10:36 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Slick View Post
If you get a real high-par led system with optics than you're looking at a system that is even stronger than a t5 ho.. so I would just recommend that you change when the photoperiod is occurring.. I, like you, want to see my fish at night time when I'm at home doing homework or whatever. It's no fun to always see a dark tank. So I have my photoperiod set from 10am to 10pm and I can view it under full light while I'm home. I don't have a spec of algae in my tank and certainly no amount that I would consider a problem. My tanks been running with this photoperiod for about six weeks and I really like it. My plants grow a lot and my fish and everything seem very happy.

I feel like this is certainly the cheapest option for you.
Sounds like a very good idea to me - definitely a simple solution. You're controlling the whole environment anyways
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-06-2012, 12:43 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by josolanes View Post
Sounds like a very good idea to me - definitely a simple solution. You're controlling the whole environment anyways
I am not sure I follow... that's a 12 hour photo period... are you saying to go high par led instead of a t5ho? I was under the assumption that LED doesn't contribute but very little to none to photosynthesis... is this incorrect? Sorry if I am being difficult LOL.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-06-2012, 12:51 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (5/100%)
What size tank do you have?

I have the 24" version of this light and I would say it has fair reflectors according to Hoppy's par thread. The feet raise the light 2.25" above the tank.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-06-2012, 02:05 AM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cason View Post
I am not sure I follow... that's a 12 hour photo period... are you saying to go high par led instead of a t5ho? I was under the assumption that LED doesn't contribute but very little to none to photosynthesis... is this incorrect? Sorry if I am being difficult LOL.
Sorry to be confusing...

To clear up two issues- photoperiod length and LED

First I was suggesting that if you're really only going to be home at night, than simply have the photoperiod during that time. If you go to bed at ten every night and you want an 8 hour photoperiod than turn the lights on at 2pm and have them run until 10 when you're going to sleep. That way you get to see the fish and they get a good length of sunlight!

Secondly, there are many very different types of leds. Some may not contribute to photosynthesis, however I could certainly set up an led system that was more powerful and more usable than any t5 system over the same surface area. I was just under the impression that you wanted to add an LED fixture like that as well as your t5s and I was stating that that would be too much light.

post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-06-2012, 06:48 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Slick View Post
Sorry to be confusing...

To clear up two issues- photoperiod length and LED

First I was suggesting that if you're really only going to be home at night, than simply have the photoperiod during that time. If you go to bed at ten every night and you want an 8 hour photoperiod than turn the lights on at 2pm and have them run until 10 when you're going to sleep. That way you get to see the fish and they get a good length of sunlight!

Secondly, there are many very different types of leds. Some may not contribute to photosynthesis, however I could certainly set up an led system that was more powerful and more usable than any t5 system over the same surface area. I was just under the impression that you wanted to add an LED fixture like that as well as your t5s and I was stating that that would be too much light.
Aha! Gotcha now. Well, I would most likely be jerry rigging a strip light onto the T5 fixture. The room where my tank is gets a bit of natural sunlight, so I think the photoperiod would have to be the same as natural sunlight around here. Otherwise, I wouldn't be able to totally control everything I think. You can tell me if Im wrong as I'd like to know for sure. It would be using regular everyday LED's, nothing super powered. I Might even stick a Marineland LED fixture on there as I believe I would have enough room due to my current T5 fixture only being 5.5" wide.

I think when the T5 photo period ended, I would turn on regular LED's for the remainder of my viewing time. Fish would have blackout for atleast 7 hours like I would have atleast 7 hours of sleep. I may be getting WAY too technical here, but I would like to eliminate as many mistakes as possible before planting the crap out of this tank, and suscepting any livestock to stress or unfavorable conditions.

If this method would be too uncontrollable CO2/photosynth-wise, I guess I could always shade my room instead and just stick with the T5. That wold also save me a bit of money LOL.

However, the sunrise sunset option would be pretty sweet so I will have to implement that and video it for you guys!

Cason
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-06-2012, 11:40 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cason View Post
Sorry for not being specific. I was agreeing with the later photo period idea so they get light but simply at a later time so you can see them also

-Josh

Quote:
Originally Posted by pejerrey
"Give a man a fish and he will get a bowl, teach a man how to keep fish and he will get a planted tank"
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-06-2012, 03:53 PM
Planted Member

I understand what you're trying to do and I actually think it would work. I just wasn't aware that low par leds were being manufactured. I think you could try a longer photoperiod as well. I have no problems with twelve hours so you could probably up it to nine our ten if that helps any

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode