New to the forum and tanks in general! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-04-2012, 12:25 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
New to the forum and tanks in general!

Hey guys!

I have recently picked up an obsession for fish and planted tanks. I have done a lot of research but just can't seem to make up my mind on a few things! I suppose that's how it always goes huh? Well I just wanted to drop by and introduce myself! Seems like a large amount of information can be obtained here, and I look forward to keeping you guys informed about my new 60 gallon setup and its progress!

Have a great day!

Cason Farmer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-04-2012, 12:28 AM
Wannabe Guru

Welcome to the PTF! Looking forward to seeing your tank.

"One day...one day, this path will lead us to the White City, and the tower guard will take up the call: the Lords of Gondor have returned!"

–Boromir, The Lord Of The Rings
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-04-2012, 01:16 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

It is a Marineland 60 ensemble with a Fluval 406 (adding purigen as soon as it arrives), and an E300 heater. I had to get it set up fast as my 10 gallon was neglected for too long, and my ammonia levels were dangerously high. Unfortunately, and I really don't like admitting this, but my 5 tetras and silver tipped shark perished during the move. My pleco is happy for now though, and will be even happier when I start planting!

Substrate is 1.5-2 inches of CaribSea FloraMax. I am hoping I get good results with this. I will probably have to suplement more than I am expecting though.

I have 30 Jungle Vall plants on the way to start the background planting. I have ordered some driftwood as well so once it is boiled and ready, I will set it up and start planting the foreground and middle. This tank isnt very deep (12-13 inches), so that is the only limiting factor for me. I would have liked to have had a deeper tank for more planting ability, but I believe this will trun out to be a great first planted tank for me!

I am thinking about doing Discus and Rams, as well as some loaches and bigger tetras. I still havent nailed down the livestock plan yet though, so that may change.

I will not be doing CO2 yet because my lighting will be moderate at max. Plus, I will be fertilizing with Excel, Flourish, and Iron (so far). I haven't purchased my lighting yet, so I am using low power T8 right now. I will soon have a 48 inch T5HO fixture (2x54W), so that should serve me well.

If anyone wants to pitch in advice or suggestions, absolutely feel free too! I love learning!

Cason

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-04-2012, 01:58 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
Unless your new light is a FishNeedIt or Odyssea light, you will have very high light, not moderate. Or, if you suspend the light 8-10 inches above the top of the tank, that will reduce the intensity down to a low medium level.

I suggest spending at least a couple of days reading about substrates, then lighting, then fertilizing, to get you up to speed. You can do this by browsing the appropriate forums here, especially the stickies in those forums.

Hoppy
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-04-2012, 02:00 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Ahh! Ok! Thanks for that bit! Yeah, I definitely have alot of learning to do .
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-04-2012, 12:08 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
Cason first off welcome to TPT!

now with that out of the way, I do not recommend discus to start with or Rams. the biggest overall reason is both fish require a good stable tank thats been running for a while.

With discus there is also a ton of other things! lol. in the fish section of this forum there is a sticky on discus which is a very helpful read. once you get used to doing a planted tank and really get going then look at discus

Rams though will be easier to keep and are gorgeous little fish with unique personality.

The background of vals will look really nice and can't wait to see how it is scaped.

Just a little advice I learned the hard way, take it show, no need to rush as there is always something! lol and don't be afraid to spend a little money on your investments, better to buy once with no headache then buy several times with lots of headaches :-/

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Sump Pimp #8
RAOK Clubber #28
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-04-2012, 12:33 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (10/100%)
I like the background vals too. I am working on a wall of vals along the back of my 55 gallon mbuna tank. Can't wait to see your setup!
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-04-2012, 12:53 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (9/100%)
Welcome! Lots of good information here, I think you'll like it.

Take some time to browse the forums, and do some searches on particular areas of interest. I have found it very helpful to look at set ups similar to mine, to see what has worked for other people.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Greater Washington Aquatic Plant Association
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-04-2012, 11:20 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

NWA - Thanks for that! Yeah, I've realized that the discus might not be my best move right now, especially with the failure of my 10 gallon. I think livestock will be something I can be super patient with because I will be very busy getting my plants started! I honestly like the Rams better. Like you said, they seem to have great personality and the idea of getting them to breed just fuels my fire! I think to start with, I will have a few pairs of Rams and see how they do. My water is 6.2 pH and very soft, so I think if I play my cards right I have the right parameters to breed this little guys!

Terri - Thanks! I can't wait either! I just hope that they thrive with just Excel, as I don't have CO2 yet. I will have high lighting as well so my foreground dwarf sag should do well for a "lawn" effect. Once I get these two started and my driftwood gets laid out, I will start considering some rotal and swords to brighten up and add contrast to my mid-ground .

Chicken - You are right! I am probably going to be posting some questions regarding my plans and compatibility that I am just unsure of. They are several things that people usually go back and forth on, and have different opinions about. First hand experience should be very helpful in making my decisions!
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-05-2012, 02:00 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)
Haha I was reading your comments, saw, "just fuels my fire!," then thought she must be from the south too. I looked at your info and low and behold.. south Georgia !

Haha welcome to the forums and that's a nice tank you have there!

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-05-2012, 02:05 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Oh Al! It must be getting late for ya bud! I'm in Northeast Georgia and I'm a guy xD.

But I definitely appreciate the compliment! I really like this tank. What is frustrating though is I am already trying to figure out how I can get more tanks in this tiny room of mine haha.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-05-2012, 03:38 AM
Wannabe Guru

Oooooo, burn!!!

More tanks? Try a 20 long.

"One day...one day, this path will lead us to the White City, and the tower guard will take up the call: the Lords of Gondor have returned!"

–Boromir, The Lord Of The Rings
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-05-2012, 03:44 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by LB79 View Post
Oooooo, burn!!!

More tanks? Try a 20 long.
Hahaha, my sarcastic attitude had to be thwarted for that comment. I just got here, I don't want any bad water with you guys! It's all good! Absolutely no offense taken. As you can see, I am a pretty humorous guy so in the future, I hope when it comes out it will be well accepted.

Well, I am about to post a question regarding hospital tanks and quarantine tanks. I also have a few ideas for my room that I could employ to provide more space for tanks. Definitely not going to do it anytime soon, as my 60G isn't NEAR completed. I think whichever tanks I get I will want to have more "depth" for more planting room. I think that will prove to be the only issue with 60G.

I will look at the dimensions of the 20L and see how I like it! Thanks!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode