short term plant storage - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-03-2012, 11:24 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
short term plant storage

Hello Folks,

I am moving very shortly and need to tear down my 40B planted tank because I am going to set up a 55 gal in the new place instead of the 40, However, it may take me several weeks to get the new tank ready for plants ( need to get substrate, tank stand, etc.

How can I store my plants until then? Can i just put them in a bucket with some substrate?

I have low light plants including anubias, wisteria, java fern & moss, crypts...

do I need to set up some temporary lighting or can I just set them by the window?

any comments would be appreciated

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-03-2012, 11:34 PM
Planted Tank Guru

A few days maybe a week like that is probably OK. Several weeks is more than even the more durable plants would like.
Here is what I would do:

Find as clear a storage box as possible.
Set it up like a tank, with enough substrate to hold down the rooted plants.
Put a light over it, just in case the ambient light is not enough. 'By a window' might be OK if they get a little direct light, or fairly bright light all day. (That is why a clear box is best- more light enters from the sides)
Add something for water circulation, a bubbler or small power head.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-04-2012, 12:10 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (29/100%)
I did what Diana mention when I moved from one state to another. I bought a dog food storage bin with a flip top (punched a few holes in it for air since it was in the back of my suv). Put substrate in bottom then plants and fish. It was tall enough for the plants. They were in the car for about 32 hours with no real light or filter and when I got to my destination I plugged in a small HOT filter and clip on light and they stayed there for few weeks (maybe a month) until the moving truck arrived and I could unpack.

I've also used a 2.5 g bucket and a small HOT filter fits on it as well. But for travel and ease of transporting the Dog food container was great since the top was rectangle and not round (as well as the clip on light held pretty securely for the same reason) and I picked it up from wally world for about 8 dollars. I still have it and use it for holding tank stuff.
The clip on light was also from wally world and was about $6 and then the cost of a 26w grow bulb.

Good luck with your move!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-04-2012, 12:11 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)
How long might they be out of the tank?

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-04-2012, 02:03 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks for the input folks,

from your suggestions, this is the plan I am developing

I am going to set up my 5 gallon bucket with some substrate in the bottom. I am going to plant the plants, and add my raphael catfish (only fish I am taking with me)

I have a fixture that I can use to run a CFL bulb in. ( it looks like the PIXAR lamp, haha )

Also I am going to use my very small internal filter, it runs about 50 gph. plenty for a 5 gallon bucket.
I believe this is the one:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00176GKM8/...l_5e0alzxwdl_b

This sounds to me like I am setting up an aquarium in a bucket...just hope my plants dont die!!!

thanks again...planted bucket and planted 55g to come!
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-04-2012, 03:38 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)
That sounds like a great plan! I've been keeping some plants alive for a few days now in a plastic bag... so I think you're gonna be alright!

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-04-2012, 11:59 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Slick View Post
That sounds like a great plan! I've been keeping some plants alive for a few days now in a plastic bag... so I think you're gonna be alright!
walmart bag? Lol

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Sump Pimp #8
RAOK Clubber #28

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode