Grindal Worm issues - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-03-2012, 03:59 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (5/100%)
Grindal Worm issues

Hello all, I wasn't sure where to post this. I kind of wish these boards had a live food section...

Anyhow, I culture some of my own foods, microworms, blackworms, daphnia, and now recently grindals.

I ordered some from an ebay auction. When they arrived they all looked dead. A few moved but most were completely lifeless. I added them all to my container which contained a peat-topsoil mix. I placed a small piece of dog food in there and 4 weeks later I can only find 2 living worms. Also there are a TON of mites in there.

The person I got them from said they will bounce back and to give them a couple weeks...it's not been a month, is it safe to say they are dead? Will those 2 worms I did find reproduce eventually and if so how long will it take?

I just want to know if I should start over? Maybe buy some more from someone and begin a new culture?

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-03-2012, 04:20 PM
Children Boogie

PTrader: (13/100%)
There is a live food thread in the 'Fish' forum.

There are more worms there than you can see. It'll take a few months for the population to bounce back. The tons of mites is a sign you're putting in too much food. Cut back. I'm dealing with minor mites issue now too. I pulled out my microscope to see and they aren't pretty.

I ordered a bag of diatomaceous earth and will see if this will kill off the mite population.

I use coconut fibers from the pet store as their bedding. It works pretty well and I feed them 'earth's best' organic multigrain baby food (sold through Target). The population grows pretty fast.

Give it another month, if nothing happens, PM me. I'll give you a hunk of grindals.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-03-2012, 04:37 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (501/100%)
Same here. Happy to send you grindals if your population doesn't come around.

I've found that I'm able to cut the mite population down when I mist with heavily chlorinated water.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-03-2012, 04:48 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Awesome! I will keep an eye on the population and put less food in. I will add you guys as friends and let you know if things don't pan out.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-03-2012, 04:51 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Also I can't believe I have been a member since 2003 and never noticed the live foods section of the fish boards!
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-07-2012, 04:14 PM
Children Boogie

PTrader: (13/100%)
I sprayed with diatomaceous earth. It completely wiped out the mites.
I think it affected the worms too but not too much. They can bounce back. The DE dries out/dehydrates any bugs.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode