How about families enjoying our tanks? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-02-2012, 01:39 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)
How about families enjoying our tanks?

I've seen a couple threads about amusing antics when our hobby and our family clash. How about when they do the opposite?

I walked in this morning to find my 6 and 8 year old sons completely engrossed in a tank I'm in the middle of setting up. I think they were late to school because we just sat there talking about it for a while instead of getting ready!

In this tank there is a ton of HC, 3 cherries, 2 amano, and a lot of empty space waiting for things to arrive. If you're curious about the empty pots, I'm waiting for a 4 foot long t5 to arrive that will replace the hood and there will be plants all around the tank.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

that I haven't done anything with yet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-02-2012, 01:51 PM
Planted Member

Great photo! This is primarily the reason for my even being on this site. I'm coming from a reef tank I started about a year ago and have recently decided to go back to freshwater and want to try a planted tank. My boy loved the reef tank and I want to put something together for him on the new tank. It always cracked me up to watch him stare into the tank jibber jabbering to it's contents.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-02-2012, 01:59 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
My family enjoys looking at my tanks. They even help me when it comes to clean my tanks. I'm very lucky.

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-02-2012, 02:12 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (22/100%)
My son is completely uninterested, but my fiancee likes my tanks. I catch her talking to the discus sometimes -lol.
When it comes to maintenance, no help at all, and they usually are in my way.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-02-2012, 02:16 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (19/100%)
Wish my wife actually enjoyed my tanks. I don't think she minds my 60G since it's been up for a while and grown in now, but I will never catch her sitting in front of the tank just staring at the fish/plants.

I started a 15G for RCS and she doesn't like the shrimp at all... she says they are ugly

No help on tank maintenance either obviously if she won't even look at the tank unless I call her into the basement to come and look at it for a minute

Who would have thought that plants like dirt?!
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-02-2012, 02:39 PM
Algae Grower

Due to space in our house I only have my 20 long setup right now. It was in the living room but the kids use the tv more that I do and never show any interest at all. To bad for them I guess. So I moved it to the bedroom beside my computer desk. I spend a lot of time in the room so I can enjoy it more. My girlfriend likes it, but laughs at me and calls me a nerd for checking on the forums and posting pics of my setups. She's just being funny

post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-02-2012, 02:40 PM
Algae Grower

my dog has developed a habit: each morning it runs to my tank looking for the odd shrimp that jumped...at least it keeps the floor clean ;-)
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-02-2012, 02:44 PM
Planted Member

My wife loves the tanks. I have a 30g in her office with RCS and a bump of tetras and she loves being able to watch them school around. I got rid of my Reef tank because it was just costing too much and she really pushed for putting in a new tank and going to freshwater to keep cost down. Somehow I managed to talk her into getting a tank twice the size.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-02-2012, 02:56 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (10/100%)
I guess I'm very, very lucky. My husband is very supportive. When I had some aggression in one of my tanks and said I think maybe I need to separate some of them he said, "Well, maybe you should get another tank, work on that." Wow! So he is fully supportive of my addiction.

We recently had a Rusty holding and I set up a little emergency fry tank with a Rubbermaid container. She spit the babies when I put here in there. Now he comes in every morning to see how the "kids" are. He is amazed at the shellies and their constant digging and rearranging of their tank. Now he said it would be kind of nice to have a 55 gallon in "his" main room, his "man cave" to watch them. So another tank in my future. But he said I have to maintain it because it's all beyond him. Although if I need some muscle he's more than happy to help.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-02-2012, 04:53 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)
Now that's a great husband!!

My bf likes the tank. He watches it a lot when he's over.

Mom loves it. She feels as bad as I do when I lose a fish.

Eheim Pimp Club #490 Ecco 2232
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-02-2012, 05:07 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (39/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by shinycard255 View Post
Wish my wife actually enjoyed my tanks. I don't think she minds my 60G since it's been up for a while and grown in now, but I will never catch her sitting in front of the tank just staring at the fish/plants.

I started a 15G for RCS and she doesn't like the shrimp at all... she says they are ugly

No help on tank maintenance either obviously if she won't even look at the tank unless I call her into the basement to come and look at it for a minute
+1 This is the same for me. Wife "tolerates" the hobby...

..my cats on the other hand wish I had 10 more tanks going.
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-02-2012, 05:12 PM
Wannabe Guru

My little brothers (2, 3, and 4 yrs old) LOVE my discus. My dad likes the serpae tetras and everyone likes the apistos.

"One day...one day, this path will lead us to the White City, and the tower guard will take up the call: the Lords of Gondor have returned!"

–Boromir, The Lord Of The Rings
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-02-2012, 05:24 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Grandma loved my red betta. My sister and dad loved to watch my tanks when I had bettas or goldfish. I hope they will like my CPDs and catfish, though dad is a big catfish fan.
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-02-2012, 06:01 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
My boyfriend like my tanks so much, I bought him his own. Now he has a fully planted 10 gallon going, with a breeding colony of cherry shrimp. He does his own water changes and feeding, but is still lusting after OEBT's. Maybe after his cherry colony gets to a selling size.

post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-02-2012, 06:24 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by shinycard255 View Post

^ This, if you substitute husband for wife. He has no interest at all.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode