Anyone ever find a moth in their tank? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-02-2012, 08:46 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Anyone ever find a moth in their tank?

Yes that's right was just looking in my tank and there is a moth sitting on my heater. I took it out but just thought it was odd I've never seen a moth under water.

Sorry crappy phone picture
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-02-2012, 08:51 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
Dead I assume??
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-02-2012, 10:01 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Alive! That's what's so weird If it was dead I'd think it just died and fell in but when I took him out he was moving.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-02-2012, 10:22 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (8/90%)
ew I hate moths!

My First Shrimp Tank

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-02-2012, 01:47 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (44/100%)
I saw one too crawling under a ketapang leaf. Never bothered finding it, assume it was eaten. I guess it must have hatched and grew underwater?

http://ecospark.ca/changingcurrents/aquaticmoth

current:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

| retired:

|
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-02-2012, 02:47 PM
Algae Grower

I've had a dragonfly in mine, saw something swimming around in my tank. Small bug of some type, then a couple weeks later it was on top of my filter intake sitting there. I was able to catch it and stuck it in a bag and put it in the freezer for later investigation as to what it was and were it came from...with little luck. I think it was to immature to tell for sure.

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-02-2012, 03:40 PM
Wannabe Guru

That cat wouldn't last a second with my angels, lol.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-02-2012, 04:18 PM
Discus freak

PTrader: (14/94%)
they can live underwater!?!?!haha that's crazy...

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-02-2012, 04:37 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to Sukhoi
Our house has a problem with moths. You killed one and six will take its place. I try to flick them in my aquarium. Same thing with little black ants. They are everywhere.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-02-2012, 08:47 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I only gave cardinals and rasboras they wouldn't touch the moth it's bigger than them so I just removed it.
Interesting link about the aquatic moths. I wonder if that was it, or just a normal moth that wanted to go for a dip lol

I too have thousands of little ants but they never bother my tank but they infest my cricket keeper (for my frogs and scorpions) just eating the crickets food. And for some reason they cover my shower and toilet as well.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-03-2012, 12:28 AM
Planted Member

I think this is so weird. If I found a moth in my tank just walking around I would freak!

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-03-2012, 04:20 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (7/100%)
I find a dead one in my 55g once in awhile, no has a taste for them.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-03-2012, 04:23 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (38/100%)
I feed moth I catch to my goldfish. Unfortunately, I have to purposely shove the moths underwater or else my goldfish are too "dumb" to even notice them.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-03-2012, 05:07 AM
Planted Member

yuck I would never eat a moth! or let my fish haha that seems like eating a powdered donut how the sugar gets on you

post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-03-2012, 03:10 PM
bpb
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Bizarre. Never knew moths could do that. I always feed insects to my tank. Mostly small beetles, silverfish, and earwhigs. Gives me the heebie-jeebies to pick them up but its a good food supplement. When I had a 12" tiger oscar I would go outside and net giant grass hoppers and crickets every couple days and he would get down on some of those.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode