Should I Fert? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-01-2012, 07:49 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)
Should I Fert?

I have a low tech 55 gallon planted tank with low light, dirt substrate, good water filtration and water movement. I want to do something to spark new plant growth, but want to keep in low tech in that it is rather undemanding. I do a water change once every month or two. I have Flourish "comprehensive supplement for planted tank," and Flurish Excel. Should i use these as directed? Or will it that require me to do a bunch of other things?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-01-2012, 08:16 PM
Are these real?

PTrader: (195/100%)
Hard to say. Plant growth can be limited by various things, and micros (Flourish Comp) or carbon (Excel) are two of the possibilities. So, you could add some and see how your plants react. Might improve things if those are missing, or not change a thing, if something else is the limiting factor.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-01-2012, 08:22 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)
I recommend doing a 25%-50% water change a week or at least every 2 weeks. I also suggest going with a more complete fertilizing regiment, since you're going with SeaChem's flourish, I'd go with the complete line of Flourish products, like potassium, nitrate, phosphorus, iron, etc......

And get into a dosing regiment with dosing products every other day. You can base your dosing regiment to that of EI dosing

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/fe...-regimes_.html

This should give you an idea of what ferts to dose on what days

15g Fluval Flex - Will be a planted shrimp tank

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-01-2012, 08:24 PM
Are these real?

PTrader: (195/100%)
Really no need for EI level dosing on a low light tank...

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-01-2012, 08:31 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
I fert all the time...oh wait, that's different.

If you want to
Quote:
I want to do something to spark new plant growth, but want to keep in low tech in that it is rather undemanding.
add some Co2?

Technically that will make you not low tech, but it certainly will cause some growth. In a 55 gallon, just add like 2-3 bubbles per second...like a little nudge of Co2. Shouldn't make the undemanding nature of you tank anymore difficult unless you crank it up to such an extent that your plants grow faster than you can feed them. The dosing probably isn't necessary in a low light tank with out Co2 provided you have some critters in there. Dose all you want, the plants will only take what they need, and that isn't much in a low light non Co2 tank. Once you add the Co2 though, you may find you need the ferts on a regular basis.

That's what I do with my low light 90, I don't have a drop checker or anything. I just add a little bit of Co2 and things have really taken off.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-01-2012, 08:36 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasserpest View Post
Really no need for EI level dosing on a low light tank...

No, I was suggesting it as a reference for a dosing schedule, since it has a suggested dosing schedule. As in

you know this 3x week, that 3x week, etc......

Didn't mean as he should go with EI dosing lol

15g Fluval Flex - Will be a planted shrimp tank

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode