Do i need co2 also a few general questions - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-01-2012, 07:06 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Do i need co2 also a few general questions

Hi all i have been posting many questions lately about my fluval ebi, i havnt got it set up yet because was wanting co2 setup and been enquiring about a regulator but i think i might leave co2 for now as i am new to this,the light with the ebi is 11w fluval compact light, do you think i would need co2 or would it be ok dosing with flourish excell or some other addatives, the plants i defently want are hygrophila cormbosa, moss balls , glossostigma elatinodes as a carpet plant and not sure what else, would this be okwithout co2 and also was thinking of getting external filter would people suggest fluval or enheim ? also someone mentioned getting from overseas in euros and saving 30 % anyone know any good sites and would the light be sufficient and what size heater ? i have a 50w for my small fluval spec at 7.5l due to cold north weather lol

thanks Dean
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-01-2012, 07:18 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)
No, you do not need co2 since the Ebi is so small dosing with Excel is fine, you should also dose with other ferts too, like flourish, potassium, etc.... to give the plants a broad range of nutrients they'll need.

As for a heater, I have a 6 gallon Fluval Edge, and I run a 50w heater for it with no problems.

As for the light, I use a 2 Finnex Clip Lights w/ 6700k bulbs in each, and my plants grow like crazy with them.

15g Fluval Flex - Will be a planted shrimp tank
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-01-2012, 08:17 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

when people say flourish i thought they ment flourish excell lol what ferts should i does with then ?
1,flourish excell
2, potassium (what brand)

also if o had 2 lights would that create mold ? and would it be better for plants with 2 lights ?

thanks dean

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-01-2012, 08:26 PM
Wannabe Guru

SeaChem's line of Flourish supplements consist of potassium nitrate, phosphorus, iron, basic flourish, flourish trace elements, etc.....

As for the lights, you can get another Ebi clip light from here

http://www.amazon.com/Fluval-Mini-Po...0637242&sr=8-1

as for "creates mold", you must mean creates algae, with the Ebi being so small more people set them up as shrimp tanks, or snail tanks, either way shrimp or snails will eat the algae.

As for the Flourish products, they are strictly for dosing the tank so the plants get a complete balance of nutrients.

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-02-2012, 05:31 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

the light i have with ebi is only 11w have i been supplied with wrong one, was also thinking if i get co2 could get this http://www.co2supermarket.co.uk/ use soda stream bottle, if i get co2 would i need 2 lights ?

thanks Dean
(thanks a lot for all the info unrated very helpful)
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-02-2012, 07:51 PM
Wannabe Guru

Yeah my bad the link I gave you for the clip light, are actually flora clip lights lol, again my bad. No you were sent the correct lighting for the tank.

Anyway, you could get 2 of the flora clip lights, and set them up on each side of the tank. It's what I do with my 2 Finnex clip lights on the 6 gallon edge, this way each side of the tank is getting the same amount of light.

And with the 2 clip lights you could also do a dry start method with dwarf baby tears, and some dwarf hair grass. You can google "dry start aquarium method" or you can seek the advice from the substrate forum as too what substrate works best for doing dry starts.

Now to the co2, you can certainly setup a co2 system for the tank, that's something left to your discretion. But if you do the dry start method with the dwarf baby tears & stuff, I would definitely go with a small co2 setup for the tank.

Plus plants respond better to actual co2, compared to a carbon based supplement like Excel.

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-02-2012, 08:10 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

thats great, i was thinking about dry starting. what are the advantages of doing that ? are the co2 setups anygood using soda stream bottle , 2 flora lights would be expensive though maybe anothr 11w one would be ok ? didnt relise the lights were different when i purchased lol would u advise co2 then ?

thanks again Dean
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-02-2012, 08:18 PM
Wannabe Guru

Well I would definitely get some type of clip light, so that way there'll be 1 on each end of the tank. The advantages of a dry start is that when the carpet plants (dwarf tears & hair grass) is that once they fill in and carpet the substrate they look amazing.

But, the disadvantage is that it can take 1-3 months for them to carpet the tank. So theres always a +/- to anything when it comes to aquariums. Plus on a dry start you only add enough water to the tank for the carpet plants roots to reach. Then you have to mist down the tank every few days to keep the moister levels up.

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-03-2012, 08:14 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

That sounds great think i will defently go with dry start just hope i dont do it then it all dies after if i mess up lol, what is easier hair grass or dwarf tears ?

also would you upgrade the internal filter as looks quite messy would you get enheim or fluval ? also can i buy from abroad and save 30 % some one mentioned lol i live in uk by the way

thanks again
Dean
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-03-2012, 09:22 PM
Wannabe Guru

You can go with a Fluval 2211 canister filter, or a Tom Rapids mini canister filter

http://www.bigalspets.com/Tom-Rapid-...archRank=price

I plan to go with a Tom Rapids mini for my 6 gallon edge. As for the plants dwarf hair grass is way easier to grow than HC (baby tears). But HC looks WAAAAAAY better lol

dwarf hair grass

dwarf baby tears (HC)

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode