switching from EI method to MTS? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-01-2012, 02:15 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)
switching from EI method to MTS?

I've been on EI for a while, now I'm going to change my substrate to mts. I know there's a huge difference in maintenance and care, what exactly do I need to know?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

3.7cube hi-tech
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-01-2012, 04:59 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)
EI refers to fertilizers in the tank, and a dosing regime. MTS is pretty plain and simple to setup, here's a link about setting up an MTS tank

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/su...mts-aaron.html

It explains everything in detailed step by step instructions, you'll see in that link that he refers to different types of fertilizers, such as the Dolomite which can be bought here

http://www.aquariumfertilizer.com/in...ditU=1&Regit=2

The muriate of potash can be found here

http://www.amazon.com/Hi-Yield-32145...0624700&sr=8-1

Maintaining a MTS tank is the same as say using flourite or eco-complete, just make sure to keep up with the routine tank maintenance and you'll be fine. Also be sure that any rooted plants (plants you put into substrate like swords, vals, etc...) that their roots are placed in the MTS soil, otherwise the may start deteriorating. I went with 2" of enriched topsoil, and a 1" cap of play sand, but again you want to make sure that any plants are planted to where their roots reach the soil.

But you can cap the topsoil with a substrate of your choosing like, gravel, play sand, pool filter sand, etc....

15g Fluval Flex - Will be a planted shrimp tank
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-01-2012, 05:06 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
With MTS you have a nutrient filled substrate, which allows the plants to gain nutrients through their roots, as well as through their leaves. You can continue to dose per the EI method, and not have to worry if you forget a dose once in awhile - the plants will still have enough to eat from the substrate. By dosing the water you make the nutrients in the substrate last longer, and you give the plants an extra chance to grow well.

Hoppy

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-01-2012, 07:55 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (267/100%)
I pretty much always suggest folks to use BOTH a rich sediment and a rich water column.

MTS or ADA aqua soil etc.

This way you if you forget to dose the water, not an issue, you have backup. Adding ferts to the water will also extend the usable life span of MTS/ADA AS also. And once something is exhausted, the water column dosing prevents any issue.

It's sort like this:

Rich sediment+water column => 1+1 = 2
Rich sediment alone => 1+0= 1
Rich water column alone => 1+0= 1

I use rich sediments + rich water column, I think the results speaks louder:

If you screw up and forget to dose the water column........things are fine, you have more wiggle room.
With richer sediments, you need to be a bit more careful not to make mess when gardening and replanting. Do a good sized water change afterward if you do.

Regards,
Tom Barr
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-01-2012, 09:59 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

So, then how much do I cut back on the ferts, do I just need to monitor and adjust doses acordingly. If so, I don't have all the test kits needed to do that

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

3.7cube hi-tech
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-01-2012, 10:14 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (267/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by evan.m View Post
So, then how much do I cut back on the ferts, do I just need to monitor and adjust doses acordingly. If so, I don't have all the test kits needed to do that
You really never needed to cut back on ferts, but larding it on does not useful good either, but also does not cause issues.

So start with typical EI dosing, then slowly back off till you see a negative plant response.

With new MTS/ADA AS, there is ample Nitrogen..........but after a few months, maybe 1 year, most of the N is gone. So you need to be aware of that.

Most of the other nutrients will last for a decade or more though.

Regards,
Tom Barr
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-01-2012, 10:40 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by plantbrain View Post
With new MTS/ADA AS, there is ample Nitrogen..........but after a few months, maybe 1 year, most of the N is gone. So you need to be aware of that.

Most of the other nutrients will last for a decade or more though.
That's good to know. Will keep this in mind. Thanks

3.7cube hi-tech

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode