Where to buy tanks for hatchery??? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-29-2012, 10:59 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Where to buy tanks for hatchery???

I am setting up a fish hatchery and looking for some online sites that have good prices on tanks. I am starting with 9 - 10g, 17 - 30g, 6 - 55g, and 2 - 180 gallon. If anyone can help that would be great. I checked with my lfs and they are working up some prices but wanted to see what else is out there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-29-2012, 11:53 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (19/100%)
If you wait a little bit, PetCo usually does a $1/gallon sale, only good on 10-55 gallon tanks though, and I don't think 30s are part of it...

I don't think an online site will beat those prices

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Who would have thought that plants like dirt?!
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-29-2012, 11:56 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (23/100%)
Petco dollar per gallon deal is definitely your best bet. If for nothing else, you don't have to pay outrageous shipping to transport a bunch of tanks.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-01-2012, 12:09 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)
If you're setting up a hatchery than couldn't you go buy like three hundred gallon water troughs from tractor supply for a fraction of the price and still provide perfectly good conditions for fish?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-01-2012, 12:15 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Slick View Post
If you're setting up a hatchery than couldn't you go buy like three hundred gallon water troughs from tractor supply for a fraction of the price and still provide perfectly good conditions for fish?
Yes but you wouldnt be able to keep your fish seperate such as a pair of discus. They dont need 300 gallons lol.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-01-2012, 12:43 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinycard255 View Post
If you wait a little bit, PetCo usually does a $1/gallon sale, only good on 10-55 gallon tanks though, and I don't think 30s are part of it...

I don't think an online site will beat those prices
When are they doing the sale?
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-01-2012, 01:08 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (19/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgallodoro24 View Post
When are they doing the sale?
Not a clue, I'd say maybe in 2 months... keep an eye on your local PetCo flyer... plus I always post it on the forums as soon as I see the sale

Who would have thought that plants like dirt?!
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-01-2012, 01:28 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (58/100%)
Check on craigslist and garage sales. If they are to be used for fish breeding then they don't have to be perfect or brand new they just have to hold water.

All matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death life is only a dream which is an imagination of ourselves. Bill Hicks
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-01-2012, 01:52 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgallodoro24 View Post
Yes but you wouldnt be able to keep your fish seperate such as a pair of discus. They dont need 300 gallons lol.
I understand that but if the op is looking for tons of tanks then it seems he might need a cheap solution for grow-out.

post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-01-2012, 02:08 AM
Banned

PTrader: (9/100%)
best thing to do is go all out on petco tank sale.
I pick up 6 40B during the sale and end up using 1.
have like 5 brand new 40B sitting.

a loc pet store near my house have a tank sale up to 75G.
$90 for brand new 75G, tank by aqueon, been sitting in their store for month now.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-01-2012, 08:53 AM
Wannabe Guru

More to the point, what sort of fish or plants are you going to try to produce? Are you doing this for fun or to make a profit? Also, does your fish room have to look great or do you just need something to hold water to grow out the livestock?

I've noticed a lot of people recommending Petco's $1 per gallon sales. There is nothing wrong with this, provided you want to spend the money for new equipment. However, if your doing this setup for making a profit, you want to keep money spent on equipment as low as possible. You may want to look around for used equipment or for items similar to the "three hundred gallon water troughs" mentioned above, but smaller.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-01-2012, 10:26 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveK View Post
More to the point, what sort of fish or plants are you going to try to produce? Are you doing this for fun or to make a profit? Also, does your fish room have to look great or do you just need something to hold water to grow out the livestock?

I've noticed a lot of people recommending Petco's $1 per gallon sales. There is nothing wrong with this, provided you want to spend the money for new equipment. However, if your doing this setup for making a profit, you want to keep money spent on equipment as low as possible. You may want to look around for used equipment or for items similar to the "three hundred gallon water troughs" mentioned above, but smaller.
Doing this for profit. Plan on starting with discus ( cause i already have a breeding pair) angels, rams, cpd's, and oscars. I would like to keep it niceas possible.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-01-2012, 09:54 PM
Wannabe Guru

I've never tried breeding any fish for profit. I have known a few people that did. Most of them worked with smaller fish, compared with what your considering. I will say that they were in a constant race to get the fish eggs hatched and the fry up to selling size as fast as possible. Usually this meant large tanks, and when ever possible, live foods.

Years ago, many used refrigerator liners, but usable ones came only from very old refrigerators. The stuff used today is plastic and not suitable.

You might consider constructing indoor ponds using pond liner material. I've seen that done, but have no idea what it costs. I wish I could help you more on this.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-01-2012, 10:02 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (76/94%)
Walmart for 10 gallons. 55 gallons are useless for hatcheries(and pretty much everything else).

I am using Rubbermaid stock tanks for everything. They come from 40-300 gallons. I love them.

You will NEVER make money breeding fish like oscars. You cannot compete with fish farms. I'm dead serious.

Breeding discus is going to require a lot more work on large scale than people think. The whole goal when trying to make money is to pump them out as fast as possible.

If I could make one recommendation to someone trying to get into it for profit is to stick with ONE type(discus, angels or the like) and only that one. Dedicate all you can to it. Starting with one pare of anything is asking for trouble.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-02-2012, 01:47 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Well like i said earlier my dad did this years ago and made very good money specifically on africans and a little on discus. We have perfect water conditions here for south american fish so thats what we are going to mainly focus on. It is for profit but more of a hobby than anything else. I dont understand why 55s are usless.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode