Dry start tank - Vinegar safe to clean glass? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-28-2012, 09:55 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Dry start tank - Vinegar safe to clean glass?

I started a new tank a few weeks ago and after wiping down the condensation on front glass for a picture, I notice a lot of streaks on the inside. I fear that I did not clean the inside of the glass before setting up as much as I should have. The tank had some water spots inside and out when I purchased it.

Is it safe for me to use vinegar and wet a paper towel and wipe it down? Maybe if I dilute it first to 2:1 or 4:1. I currently have to top sealed with cling wrap. If I used the vinegar wipe, would I have to leave the top open to air out the vinegar smell?

Any ideas?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-28-2012, 10:01 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
Vinegar works awesome, don't even need to worry about diluting just pour some in and scrub away, rinse well and your golden :-)

Wait lol is this tank currently in use?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Sump Pimp #8
RAOK Clubber #28
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-28-2012, 10:08 PM
Wannabe Guru

I've heard some people use distilled white vinegar to acidify their tanks. I just use it for cleaning.

"One day...one day, this path will lead us to the White City, and the tower guard will take up the call: the Lords of Gondor have returned!"

–Boromir, The Lord Of The Rings

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-28-2012, 10:08 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Tank is in use and currently going through a dry start with HC. I would have no issues using vinegar with an empty tank, but I wanted to ask the masses about cleaning a tank which requires a more delicate approach.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-29-2012, 12:19 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)
A little vinegar on a paper towel should be fine. Just don't soak the paper towel and have a dry one handy.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-29-2012, 12:31 AM
Wannabe Guru

Cleaning the Tank Glass

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahko View Post
I started a new tank a few weeks ago and after wiping down the condensation on front glass for a picture, I notice a lot of streaks on the inside. I fear that I did not clean the inside of the glass before setting up as much as I should have. The tank had some water spots inside and out when I purchased it.

Is it safe for me to use vinegar and wet a paper towel and wipe it down? Maybe if I dilute it first to 2:1 or 4:1. I currently have to top sealed with cling wrap. If I used the vinegar wipe, would I have to leave the top open to air out the vinegar smell?

Any ideas?
Hello m...

A little standard aquarium salt dissolved in warm tap water and a soft sponge is all I've ever used. That way, there's a guarantee nothing is left behind that could harm your fish or plants and nothing to stratch the glass.

B

"Fear not my child, just change the tank water."
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-29-2012, 05:59 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Good stuff guys. Thanks for the help. I knew it shouldn't be too difficult to get the job done and I'll just take it slow and keep a dry towel close by to wipe after.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode