Just startin out advice needed!! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-28-2012, 08:51 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Just startin out advice needed!!

Hi,

Ive just closed down my marine tank and would like some advice to get a planted aquarium up and running.

I have a trigon190ltr tank, 150w 10k BLV halide, ehiem pro3 external which has nitrate remover, carbon and filter floss.
A reactor running phosphate remover

After reading a bit i believe carbon is not needed and the phosphate remover may not be required is this true?
plus cant get a def answer on the bulb i have and if its any good.

plus what would people run in the filter I have 3 baskets to fill and what would u run in the reactor?

last one whats the best stuff to put down as a substrate heard good things about carib ecco.

thanks for you time and answers

regards
chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-28-2012, 09:47 PM
Wannabe Guru

What's your budget? There are two ways to do planted tanks. Low-tech, and high-tech. I've never done high-tech, so here's a GREAT article on low-tech planted tanks. Enjoy!!!

http://www.thekrib.com/Plants/People/opsomer.html

"One day...one day, this path will lead us to the White City, and the tower guard will take up the call: the Lords of Gondor have returned!"

ĖBoromir, The Lord Of The Rings
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-29-2012, 08:08 AM Thread Starter

Didn't want to spend a fortune straight away just want some nice easier plants to keep.
Will that 10k 150 halide cause any problems?

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-29-2012, 08:14 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
you will have to suspend mh at least 1 foot above tank and that will probable be high light so you will need added co2
you might be able to convert reactor to co2
you wont need phosphate or nitrate removers
just use the floss and someting like matrix bio media in the trays
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-29-2012, 04:53 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (35/100%)
My 150 watt MH is 36" above the substrate and provides bright light. Without CO2 you would be extremely frustrated with your fixture. Putting a layer or two or three of window screen, at that point just shade cloth would do it, between light and water would reduce the light enough so you won't need CO2. Big waste of electricity however.

I am running 8000K at the moment and like the color very much. Some here use 10000K in combination with other colors of fluorescent. If you like the color of the plants and fish 10000K is just fine.

This is a corner tank that is quite deep, right? I would start out with heavily shaded MH and be looking for something else. Perhaps you want to invest in pressurized CO2? Perhaps the PAR38 LED would work? Sure is an interesting notion, there are some people here that have them on the tanks.

That phosphate reactor probably could work as a CO2 reactor, looks a lot like the Cerge's reactor discussed in the DIY forum.

I really really like sponges for biological filtration. Use one or two in differing pore counts in your baskets. Floss seems like you would be breaking open the filter constantly as it loads up so fast. Instead try a sponge prefilter you can remove and rinse out as needed.

For cheap IF you don't think you are a scape tinkerer you could go potting soil+sand. Me, a life long tinkerer. No way. For cheap I found a pond aquatic soil, really more like very hard kitty litter and mixed with gravel. Mine is Schultz's Aquatic Soil, google up images to see what you have in your area. I like a natural tan color and the gravel and SAS are in the same color family. Then you can put root tabs under the rosette plants like crypts and swords that like nutrients in the substrate. The SAS holds nutrients just like the more expensive eco complete and flourite and is much cheaper. Here some use Turface, same stuff but might be harder to locate.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

River Bank

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MOP* Nano

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode