Emersed growth, Cycle and filter? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-28-2012, 04:07 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (13/100%)
Emersed growth, Cycle and filter?

Forgive me if this is a stupid question but its bugging me this morning.

I am currently starting out my 75 gal emersed to get some UG started. To my understanding the tank will go through most of its cycle in this method.

My filter is a ehiem pro 3 160, just chilling dry under the stand.

My question is this. Should I fill the filter with water to let the bacteria begin to form on the biomedia or is this unnecessary?

Will the bacteria even form without a food source or does the biomedia act as the food source?

Sorry, I have never done the emersed method before let alone freshwater.

Canon Pimp Club #019

"I have all the characteristics of a human being: blood, flesh, skin, hair; but not a single, clear, identifiable emotion, except for greed and disgust. Something horrible is happening inside of me and I don't know why. My nightly bloodlust has overflown into my days. I feel lethal, on the verge of frenzy. I think my mask of sanity is about to slip"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
E
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-28-2012, 04:27 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
I don't think you should fill the filter yet. I'm currently doing a dry start as well, and would like others to chime in on this.

However, I would assume when it's time to fill your tank, you would set up the filter as normal. I plan to add some biomedia from another tank to the new filter, and then test the tank every few days.

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-28-2012, 05:05 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Finish your drystart first. If you have an established tank to run your filter on till your set to fill your tank, then great. But just letting water sit in the filter without it running and no source of food (amonia) or oxygen will be a waist of time.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-28-2012, 05:31 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
If you fill that filter it will just be stagnant water.
Some weird sulphur gas will form that smells awful, and that sulphur gas is lethal to fish.
Don't fill it.
Unless you had some small tank to hook the filter up to that you could put ammonia in so it would be read, but you have to run the filter, and provide food for the bacteria.

And your drystart may or may not cycle anything, depends on what your substrate is!

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-28-2012, 05:43 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (13/100%)
OK cool, thanks guys. Substrate is just blasting sand.

Canon Pimp Club #019

"I have all the characteristics of a human being: blood, flesh, skin, hair; but not a single, clear, identifiable emotion, except for greed and disgust. Something horrible is happening inside of me and I don't know why. My nightly bloodlust has overflown into my days. I feel lethal, on the verge of frenzy. I think my mask of sanity is about to slip"

E

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode