The 4-1-1 on Rosy Barbs. - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-28-2012, 02:24 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)
The 4-1-1 on Rosy Barbs.

I have a good hold on a past alage situation and I am looking into getting something to clean up the remaining fuzz algae on my plants. But here is the low down...I live in an area where a top notch pet store is Petsmart.

Needless to say I am VERY limited in selection. I had asked a lfs to order me a pitbull pleco, but then they told me it would be about 30 bucks for a small one. Shrimp are out due to my angelfish. SAE are also unavailable in my area. (not to mention my lfs refuses to believe me when I say there is a difference between a true SAE and a Flying fox).

On to my question. I have read that rosy barbs will munch on fuzz algae, but will they also chow down on my plants? Anybody have any experience with them? I know mollies will also eat algae, but for me, that would be a last resort.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-28-2012, 02:38 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (9/100%)
The rosy barbs I had developed a taste for plants after awhile. At first it was just certain soft leaved plants, and wasn't so bad if I kept them very well fed. But eventually, nothing was safe, not even anubias. They'd eat the developing leaves.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Greater Washington Aquatic Plant Association
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-28-2012, 02:57 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (10/100%)
Do you have a spare smaller tank that you could set up as a breeder for cherry shrimp?

That way you'd have a continual supply of shrimp that you could periodically pull 'recruits' from to deploy into your angel tank to deal with the algae... adults would probably have a better chance at survival long enough to do something about the algae. Also, if you got your hands on some of the wild brown variety (you probably could through the swap and sale) they would blend in to their surroundings and probably be alright.

I used to do something similar when I kept rams, I'd imagine this could work with angels as well

Keeper of plants, shrimp & oddball 'monsters'.

|

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-01-2012, 12:55 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)
raven - Unfortunatley, setting up a second tank is not an option. Im still having a small bit o' trouble with the algae, and I usually throw a fit daily about it. So, my wife wont be too keen on me starting a new tank.

chicken - thanks for your input. Im not sure what I want to do. I think about risking it, but then I dont want to get aggrivated when they start chowing down on the plants. Maybe I can see if the LFS can get me a TRUE SAE....this should be fun....
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-01-2012, 03:03 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Just into the LFS and ask for the fish by the scientific name, you'd probably still have to cross your fingers and hope for the best but at least you might be able to aviod the flying fox vs SAE debate.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode