Newbie 20 gallon high planted tank setup
Hi guys, I've been lurking the forums for the past few weeks and finally decided to say hello!
Here's my planned planted setup so far... I would like to see your opinions and suggestions!
- I'll be going for a "iwagumi" look
- It will have a black background
- DIY CO2 setup for the plants
Top Fin 20 gallon high tank
Aquaclear 30 Filter
100w ViaAqua Heater
1 18Ē T8 15W Power-Glo light
Aquatic Fundamentals 20 gallon aquarium stand
I managed to find the above for $30 on craigslist. It was dirty and collecting dust from the previous owner. After cleaning it, it looked brand new. I'm being patient with this tank by leaving it empty until I get everything ready.
CaribSea Eco-Complete Black (20 lbs)
CaribSea Flora Max Midnight (12 lbs)
CaribSea Supernaturals Sunset Gold or Black (20 lbs)
Still deciding on combining or getting 40-50 lbs worth of one of them.
These are the ones I am looking at. I am by no means, getting all these fishes and putting them in together. I am merely putting out which ones I like, and hoping to see your suggestions on the combinations of which I can have. I want my fish to be happy... Quality over quantity.
Emerald Green Cory Catfish
Peppered Cory Catfish
Green Cory Catfish
Upside Down Catfish
Skunk Cory Catfish
According to LiveAquaria, some of them are recommended for a minimum 30 gallon tank. Please let me know which ones. I'm reading various numbers from various sources. Some say 10 gallons, some say 20 or 30.
Lamp Eye Tetra
Long-Finned Zebra Danio
Hemianthus callitrichoides - foreground
Taxiphyllum barbieri[censored]- foreground
Microsorum pteropus[censored]- mid-ground
Limnophila sessiliflora[censored]- background
Limnophila aquaticum[censored]- background
My questions for you:
1. There is one part of the hood I can't clean... It's the part of the hood where the light goes through. It's a little foggy from the use of the previous owner. Will this be an issue for my lighting? How would you fix this?
2. Where would you get rocks? A friend of mine suggested we go on a hike and grab rocks along the way. I thought that would be a cheap way to do it, but also might be unsafe for the fish/plants.
3. I am putting the tank on a carpeted area. For those of you who know, how do I level the stand? I want to make sure the foundation is solid or else all of this will simply fall apart and make a mess.
4. Is one 36 watt light going to be enough? I'm on a tight budget and the AH supply kit seems like a solid choice over the one 15 watt light I already have.
Any suggestions on other fish and shrimp would be great! Thanks for reading!