Do you quarantine fish you get from other TPT members? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-28-2012, 01:38 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
Do you quarantine fish you get from other TPT members?

Of course we *should* quarantine all new fish regardless of the source, but what do you guys do when you get fish from other members on this forum?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-28-2012, 02:00 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (76/94%)
I wouldn't be any more "trusting" of them than I am of high end angelfish or discus breeders....

IF you quarantine at all you should quarantine every purchase, otherwise you're wasting your effort. Disease and parasites attach weak fish and shipping induces stress.
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-28-2012, 02:09 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

That's exactly what I was thinking - that even a healthy fish could succumb to illness from the stress of being shipped.

I have gotten fish from members of another forum and I didn't quarantine them, but I realize it was probably a foolish risk. Just curious how others handled private purchases or RAOK's.

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-28-2012, 02:16 AM
Planted Tank Guru

I too, have put fish in that I should have quarantined. I've had a few bad experiences and learned my lesson though. Even if it is jsut 4 or 5 days.

Some fish get precautionary medication to start. Some wild caught fish, for instance.
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-28-2012, 02:24 AM
Discus freak

PTrader: (14/94%)
I own a variety of discus, I only get my discus from two of my local breeders.. sadly I don't QT.. which I know It's so stupid of me... I have over $300 worth of fish, recently I started prepping a 10 gallon I have, setting that up over the next few weeks as my QT tank..

luckily for me I haven't had any issues *knocks on wood* but QTing new fish is the smartest thing any aquarist can do.

post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-28-2012, 02:26 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Thanks for the input. I am getting some fish this week from a TPT'er and they are tank raised. The people who have gotten some of these same fish have not reported any problems, so I am thinking to stick them in a Q tank for a few days to monitor them, and see how it goes from there.

Haha I never feel bad putting store bought fish in a Q tank cause I figure it's still a step up from the overcrowded nasty tanks at the pet store. But when they are coming from nice planted tanks in someones home I feel like I'm tossing them into the ghetto when I quarantine them :P I do realize how stupid that sounds, lol.
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-28-2012, 02:31 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Another issue that I have, and that alot of folks probably have, is that my Q tank is small. A few fish in there is fine but it's pretty easy to overstock a small Q tank. If I get fish from a LPS I can get 2 or 3 at a time, but when you're dealing with shipping charges you just can't do that.

Oh well, I'll work it out. The Q tank is set up and I just have to pull some filter media over from the big tank and throw some duckweed in an it should be fine.
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-28-2012, 02:48 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Regular water changes(ever day or two) make the smaller tank ok. No substrate and just a sponge is all I use.
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-28-2012, 02:49 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Also, for shrimp breeding I use a series of 50 gallon rubermaid stock tanks, and have an extra or two. So when I got my angels, I used that as the QT.
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-28-2012, 03:46 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (26/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wendyjo View Post

Haha I never feel bad putting store bought fish in a Q tank cause I figure it's still a step up from the overcrowded nasty tanks at the pet store. But when they are coming from nice planted tanks in someones home I feel like I'm tossing them into the ghetto when I quarantine them :P I do realize how stupid that sounds, lol.
I'm with you, I feel the same way when getting something from a nice tank and tossing it in a bare bottom tank.

Semper Fi
post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-28-2012, 03:50 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
I just quarantine because even if they were in a super happy home, shipping is stressful. I feel horrible putting them in a bare bottom tank (although I did put a cave in there), but it means I can use nearly any medicine and treat them well.

Is it a good idea to put salt in if you get new fish in the Quarantine tank, even if they aren't obviously sick?
post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-28-2012, 03:55 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)
It just isn't worth taking a chance to not use a Q-Tank.

I don't do any treatments for the 1st 3-5 days I just observe, feed lightly once a day, keep the tank as clean as I can.
post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-28-2012, 03:58 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by thechibi View Post
I just quarantine because even if they were in a super happy home, shipping is stressful. I feel horrible putting them in a bare bottom tank (although I did put a cave in there), but it means I can use nearly any medicine and treat them well.

Is it a good idea to put salt in if you get new fish in the Quarantine tank, even if they aren't obviously sick?
I don't use salt. It is really only useful for ick and in reality heat alone does just as good a job.

I will use things like paragard or lifeguard on stressed and fish with possible mild infestations. The use of meds preventatively is an argument for itself, but many breeders swear by it.

numerous routines to follow.
post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-28-2012, 05:06 AM
Discus freak

PTrader: (14/94%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by thechibi View Post

only time I use salt is when I have bloated fish.. Epsom salt to be exact.. its always worked well for me.

Sent from my DROID X2

post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-28-2012, 05:22 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (13/100%)
imho..
the main reason to qt is to prevent cross contamination ..

existing stock vs new stock..
first you want to observe the new stock.. depends where you get them.. most of the time. you don't know any history of fish you bring home.. so you want to watch them..
they may also be carrying something they are immune too..

and if you mix them with your existing to stock it could be disastrous..

same with your stock.. they may carry something that would harm the new ones..

it is best to take a fish you don't like or could lose from existing and put it with new stock.. and observe any changes.. if its safe after a few weeks..

mix them..

but some like to gamble..

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode