Ammonia-based floor cleaner ok ? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-28-2012, 01:09 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
Question Ammonia-based floor cleaner ok ?

Hey folks,

I want to strip the linoleum floor in my fish room of the Mop-N-Glo acrylic finish and then re-do it. They recommend using ammonia to do this. Is there any danger to using it with aquariums in the room?

I'm inclined to put a fan in the doorway and ventilate, then go for it. Personal experiences here would be appreciated!

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-28-2012, 01:16 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
I don't think it would be a problem.

That being said ammonia evaporates rapidly... which is why it smells awful.

But I think the amount that would evaporate, and the amount that would condense in your fish tanks would be so minimal...

I imagine feeding the fish an extra time that day would create more ammonia.

But.. that gives me an idea!

Don't feed the fish the day before your use the ammonia or on the day you use the ammonia.
The bacteria will be hungry and any ammonia that does land in the tank would be eaten?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-28-2012, 01:31 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)
To be safe , vent the room & cover the tanks, turn off air pumps.

I used to be an Opps mger for a commercial cleaning company we did about 800K sq, ft a year of hard floors(strip & wax).

It will be worth it to find a cleaning supply house near you and buy one of the new low ammonia products. Whatever you decide vent the room, there are much better ways to oil brain cells. BE sure to keep any ammonia product away from bleach. Not following that advice put one of our more stubborn floormen in the ER.

BTW - PineSol will strip a finish too.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-28-2012, 01:40 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Hmmm....interesting to both of you. Yea I think I'm going to just put a fan in the doorway to vent. Pinesol is terrific stuff. I just wish I could stand the smell of it! It reminds me of the outhouses we used to have to use at the beach when I was a kid. Ugh

Now this low ammonia cleaner might be worth hunting down. I'll look into it. I have a friend in the biz if you know what I mean.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-28-2012, 01:41 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
Ugh Pine Sol will stuff my head up for days!
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-28-2012, 03:02 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Yep I hate PineSol too. Great you have a friend, you may only need a gallon. Typically it comes in 5gl buckets.

We used the low oder stripper in occupied building as the regular stripper would make the customers sick.

Best tip treat the project like it's painting not floor cleaning. Spend a few$ and get a good mop head. Tarp of tape off adding carpet or wood work. work in realistic sections.

Sweep before you start, turn off forces air vent to that area. Use a scrub brush on a broom handle is you don't rent a scrubber machine. Use a wet vac to suck up the stripper/old wax. Rinse after stripping. While floor drys clean wet vac.

Sweep the dry floor before you wax.

You want a very dust free area until after the was drys. Any air born dust will stick to you floors finish.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-28-2012, 03:18 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Solid advice. Thank you! I'm only doing am 11' X 12' room so I can get away with very little product. I'll just toss him a mayo jar ;-)

Cheers
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-28-2012, 04:17 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Toss him a gallon jug & a 6pack. You want the chemical to do most of the work. Remember dust free will give you the best shine.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode