A silent tank, is filterless the best option? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-27-2012, 09:29 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
A silent tank, is filterless the best option?

I want to set up a small (5-10 gallon) tank on my bedside table but I don't want any gurgling or humming noises so I was thinking about going filterless but I have a few reservations and puzzles to work out.

Most people recommend running a power head or air stone to stop the water going stagnant but then we come back to noise. Would it work just to run an air stone during the day? At least the plants would get circulation and the water wouldn't go stagnant. The problem with that is the fish (and I'd like shrimp, probably RCS), will they suffer at night from excess CO2/ lack of oxygen? I don't mind keeping stocking low but would I have to stick to something like a betta?

Has anyone tried a filterless tank with no powerhead?

My other option is to find a silent filter. An external canister filter could work but is a bit overkill on such a small tank, plus even with a sponge on the intake it might be a bit hard on baby shrimp. An internal sponge filter driven by a powerhead might be quiet enough but I'm not convinced on that.

Does anyone have hints, suggestions, comments about a silent tank, filterless or otherwise?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-27-2012, 12:07 PM
Planted Member

It's possible, although I've never done it myself. I tried a very silent filter (Marina Slim S10) for my 10G tank but in the end it didn't do the job of getting rid of stagnant water accumulating on the surface and I had to replace it.

This paper may be of interest to you: http://www.atlasbooks.com/marktplc/00388Shrimp.pdf

Hawkian

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-27-2012, 12:27 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (501/100%)
The Eheim Classic line of canisters is super-quiet. I have them all over my home and office and never hear them. There's usually some sound the first day or two after setup but after that? My breathing is louder than the filter.

Quick disconnects mean you can adjust flow if necessary. No issues with shrimp at all.

There are also several that are appropriate for a tank that size. Definitely not overkill. You could find a used one online to make it more affordable, as well.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-27-2012, 04:32 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks for the input

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkian View Post
It's possible, although I've never done it myself. I tried a very silent filter (Marina Slim S10) for my 10G tank but in the end it didn't do the job of getting rid of stagnant water accumulating on the surface and I had to replace it.
Is that a HOB filter? I was thinking with a HOB filter you would always get some trickle noise.

Quote:
This paper may be of interest to you: http://www.atlasbooks.com/marktplc/00388Shrimp.pdf
Thank you, I had not read that one before. The idea sounds perfect, although I still have reservations about some of Walstad's methods.

Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhatshocked View Post
The Eheim Classic line of canisters is super-quiet. I have them all over my home and office and never hear them. There's usually some sound the first day or two after setup but after that? My breathing is louder than the filter.
I did have an ehiem classic running on a tank in our room for years, that was on the other side of the room and this is going to be next to my head, still I think that might be the quietest filter option.

Quote:
No issues with shrimp at all.
Do you have breeding shrimp, or is that the adults?

Quote:
There are also several that are appropriate for a tank that size. Definitely not overkill. You could find a used one online to make it more affordable, as well.
I think the Eheim 2211 is their smallest canister filter, it could be doable on a 5 gallon but still pretty high flow. I remember looking for nano canister filters some years back and there wasn't a lot out there, with nanos being so popular these days though there must be companies making them, I'll do some research, any suggestions?
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-27-2012, 04:43 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (6/100%)
My last two tanks were a 3 gal NPT and a 10 gal NPT. No filter or powerhead on either of them and no problems whatsoever. Of course being NPTs, neither had CO2 injection.

May I ask what your concern w/ stagnant water is? If it is specific to CO2 injection then I probably can't be of much help. Just keep in mind that AFAIK, a heater will generate some water movement via convection currents and the fauna moving around will as well.
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-27-2012, 04:56 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
My Ehiem Classic is completely silent.
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-27-2012, 05:06 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
I've got a 29 on my back porch with some angels and platys with no filter. Just light and a heater. Running fine and the plants are growing at a steady clip.

Dilution is the solution for the pollution.
Quote me as saying I was misquoted.
Once you get rid of integrity the rest is a piece of cake.
Here's to our wives and sweethearts - may they never meet.
If you agreed with me we'd both be right.
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-27-2012, 05:09 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (8/100%)
Imagine how the shrimp feel if you snore a lot!!!!
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-27-2012, 05:27 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsDubC View Post
My last two tanks were a 3 gal NPT and a 10 gal NPT. No filter or powerhead on either of them and no problems whatsoever. Of course being NPTs, neither had CO2 injection.
Thanks for your experience, can I ask what fauna you had in those tanks? And what plants have grown well for you?

Quote:
May I ask what your concern w/ stagnant water is? If it is specific to CO2 injection then I probably can't be of much help. Just keep in mind that AFAIK, a heater will generate some water movement via convection currents and the fauna moving around will as well.
To be honest I don't know much about it, I'm just repeating what I've read, some people are natural tank haters but even those who are really into them more often than not recommend a powerhead or air stone. I believe it has to do with nutrient circulation and gas exchange for the plants, deterring algae and stopping the build up of CO2 from plants at night from being dangerous to fish. I've had success with plant jars but some plants do better than others (val heaven) and I don't keep fish in them.
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-27-2012, 05:33 PM
Algae Grower

why not look into a submerged filter? i have never really had problems with loud filters other than filters that were dying. I may have loud tanks but i realize most of the time this is due to water level. My ac20 in my room is pretty loud since i keep my water level lower rather than higher. once i fill it near the top it is basically not noticeable. also i would think an airpump would be louder than a filter.
could could also trying getting a small water pump from harbor freight. they have 92gph pumps with suction cups or 10 or so. could easily by used like a power head to move water around. i have been using the 268gph version to transfer water while doing water changes, makes life so much easier. but been using it for a few months now with no problems
post #11 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-27-2012, 05:47 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktownhero View Post
My Ehiem Classic is completely silent.
same here. have mine running right next to "my side" of the couch. never even know its there.
post #12 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-27-2012, 05:55 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraphicGr8s View Post
I've got a 29 on my back porch with some angels and platys with no filter. Just light and a heater. Running fine and the plants are growing at a steady clip.
Thanks, So no problems with fish gasping at night? What plants work the best for you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by longbeach View Post
Imagine how the shrimp feel if you snore a lot!!!!
lol
post #13 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-27-2012, 05:59 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
This internal filter is cheap and completely silent, I have one in my bedroom and I'm a light sleeper.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...fm?pcatid=6472

It's adjustable down to a very low flow.
post #14 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-27-2012, 06:25 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (22/100%)
The most quiet water-moving equipment that I've tried is the Hydor Koralia Nano Evolution 240gph. This thing is dead silent.

If your tank is big enough, this might be a good option for water movement while still being very silent.

EDIT - probably overkill for a 10gal.....LOL

I have an Eheim 2213 on my 12" cube (7.5gal), and this is also quiet......but there's still a hummm when you "look" for it with your ears. It is quiet, just not dead silent like the Koralia Nano.

post #15 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-27-2012, 06:29 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
I also have a hydor nano pump in the tank I mentioned (lowest wpg I could find, the tank is low flow.) The tank is a 20 long. The hydor makes no noise that I can hear unless I put my ear within inches of it. The tank is not on my bedside table, though, and the internal is perfectly silent.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode