Raok - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-27-2012, 01:23 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Raok

I see a lot of RAOK available for members with over 100 posts.I understand some are looking for the dedicated member and I get that.My life point of view has allways been to support the little guy,the underdog.Starting someone out with something they've never done is for me more rewarding.Helping someone try something new,even if they quit,has if nothing else opened a window. A special thanks to Crazymidwestoner for starting me off. When trimming time comes my RAOK will be going to members with LESS than 100 posts. Feel free to chime in!

For the record:Ive been given and bought all I need (here)and my new membership has no bearing
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-27-2012, 01:32 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (37/100%)
I personally agree. But I think people are hesitant to give to someone who might be on the forum for just a few weeks then will mysteriously disappear, or might still be trying to figure things out and aren't really ready for plants/fish/stuff. And not everyone is as dedicated as you may be. But there's plenty of people who got their start from a single person's kindness. It's evidence that all those old values are not dead- people who might never meet each other are so generous to each other here.

RAOK club #37

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-27-2012, 01:40 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)
I think that's a great idea to try to help newbies. You are going to be a great addition to the site.

I have stopped doing RAOKs on swap as it's getting to be feeding time in the shark tank when they come up. I've been doing real Real RANDOM RAOKs. When I read a post and I can tell that the poster might need a hand with something I have extra of, I PM them and make an individual offer.

To me that's the point of a RAOK. I think if we're doing it to be in a "Club" we're missing the point. It's not about how great I am, it's about helping someone who needs the help.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-27-2012, 01:47 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (37/100%)
^That's kind of true. I like that idea.
Still, it's just kind of nice to see so many people offering things up. It's like comparing the person who donates money to a huge organization (with the hope that it makes it over to those who need it) and those who physically go to where help is needed and actually helps.

Whichever way to do it, you still are giving something, and hopefully you are helping people. Isn't that enough? I think so.

RAOK club #37

|
|
|
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-27-2012, 01:48 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (19/95%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DogFish View Post
It's not about how great I am, it's about helping someone who needs the help.
Couldnt have said it better myself.

Eheim Pimp Club #481

RAOK CLUB #29
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-27-2012, 01:56 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (9/100%)
I agree with each point you all have made. The Raok frenzy has been nice to see, as a Newb, it gets exciting to see what others are doing for each other. I am sure that I am not the only one, but I skip a lot of them over because I am either not familiar with the plants being offered, or I don't have the high set up many of them require. So for me, I am only able to try and participate in a small amount of them..
When I first started asking questions, I had few posts and I was offered an RAOK by a member in a PM. I didn't even know what it stood for. You know what, I paid for my plants from him. What kind of RAOK is that? I kicked myself for not knowing, but its all experience.
I am looking forward to a time when I am able to offer clippings, and I think you have made a valid point and offered a great idea. Something I will always keep in mind. As a fellow new person to the forum, I say thank you...
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-27-2012, 02:02 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
When I offered up my first roak I set a 50 post minimum. I did this to avoid having people create new accounts in order to increase their chances, and also to encourage people to post more and get involved. 100 posts is quite a lot, though.

Sent from my Inspire 4G using Tapatalk

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode