Tank to suit light. - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-26-2012, 10:41 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Tank to suit light.

Hi all, currently the tank I have is 43L x 28W x 36H CM my light is an 18w super fish T5.

This one http://www.aquaessentials.co.uk/supe...8w-p-5082.html

I don't feel it that well suited to the tank. If I'm going to be using c02 what size tank do you think this light would be well suited for.

Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-26-2012, 03:20 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
Why do you feel it isn't suited to your present tank? People usually pick a light to match the tank they have, not vice versa, so why are you taking this approach? Just curious.

Hoppy
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-26-2012, 05:59 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Hi Hoppy, the light was one I'd had as a sump light, I've kept marine fish / reefs for nearly 10 years, the tank was one I'd used as a small QT. I set this up as a planted tank trying to utilise kit I had. I think the tank is to long for the light to cover left to right. I think the light would work well for a small cube, or the tank would work with a longer light. It's how much light to throw at a planted tank in trying to get my head round. Coming from a reefing back ground I'm used to as much light as possible.

Basically I'm trying to work out if to make a new light to fit the tank I have or get a new tank to fit the light if that makes sense?

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-27-2012, 10:02 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Any thoughts on this anyone?
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-27-2012, 12:00 PM
Planted Member

If the tank's measurements are in CMs (as they seem to be) I see no reason why that light wouldn't be adequate for the tank that is likely a 10 gallon tank. What is it you are planning to put in that tank? Are you planning CO2 injection? Or are you going for the low-tech approach?

Hawkian

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-27-2012, 01:38 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Hi thank you for the reply, yes the measurements are in CMs. I will be going a high tech approch and using C02, as for what I will be putting in it, honest answer is not to sure yet, Im new to all this so still researching, but I didnt want to be restricted to low light plants.
If you think the light has enough punch for use with C02 then happy days. I have been looking at the ADA cube garden mini - but i think thats more of a want rather than need at the momment.
Dave
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-27-2012, 02:42 PM
Planted Member

Someone with better knowledge than I should probably give you better advice. I've done the DIY CO2 and I have a low-light tank. I hear that most plants will do ok with low-light as long as you plan it right, which seems to be the case for me so far. I do think your light should be enough to grow nice plants... I'm just not sure about how the pressurized CO2 will affect it.

Hawkian

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-27-2012, 02:58 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

My rough understanding is (and please correct me if im wrong) with bright light you need the c02. So its a case of is my light bright enough to use with c02. I'll be using something like the TMC pro c02 for starters I think.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-27-2012, 05:04 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
You do need to use CO2 once you get more than low-medium light, but you can use CO2 with any light level, and it will help the plants grow faster and healthier. With low light and CO2 most plants, including "high light" plants will grow, but slower than if you had more light.

I wouldn't use that type of light except on cube shaped tanks. It has to leave the ends of a rectangular tank with much less light than the center of the tank. That means I agree that the light you have isn't a good one for the tank you have.

I pick a tank size based on where I will put it, how much room I have, and if I can persuade my wife to accept that size tank. Once I have the tank then I look for a light. If you wanted to start out with the light I suppose you could just look for a cube shaped tank that wasn't too big - perhaps a 12 inch (30 cm) cube. Or you could weigh the cost of a new tank vs the cost of a new light and decide how to proceed from that. To help with deciding what light goes with what tank, look at https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/li...t5-t12-pc.html

Hoppy
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-27-2012, 09:52 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks for the link, interesting read. As for which would cost more to replace.. Debatable really. I'm thinking I'll replace that tank as the one I have is fairly scratched. Probably go for 30x30x30 cm optiwhite cube. Use my light. Use an external canister, acrylic Lilly pipes (home made, read an interesting thread on here about how to do it). Heating it will be the hard bit, I've found some really small heaters but I really don't want it on show... Are there any tips on keeping it discreet when scaping?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode