Pics of how to safely cover the openings in your tank lid - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-26-2012, 03:55 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
Pics of how to safely cover the openings in your tank lid

I mentioned in another thread that I use fabric and "sticky back" velcro to cover the openings in my tank lids so my fish can't jump out. Since I set up a new betta tank today I thought I would take pics of the process in case anyone is interested.

I use lace or mesh so that air can still be exchanged thru the fabric. Also, many lace and mesh fabrics will stick to the "rough" side of velcro on their own, which makes it alot easier. If the fabric won't stick on it's own then you'll need to use the "soft" side of the velcro and attach it to the fabric.

The tank I set up today is a 5g minibow. The first pic shows the opening I want to cover up:

The pic below shows where I applied the "rough" pieces of velcro to the tank and hood/lid:

Below is the piece of lace I cut to fit the area:

And here is the covered opening - this lace fabric sticks to the velcro on it's own:

Here is another small opening on the same tank that I also covered - you can see how the fabric molds itself around the power cord:

Here is the finished tank. You can barely see the fabric, and I think it actually looks better than a gaping hole. The fish can't jump out and air can still move thru the opening thru the lacy fabric. Plus it comes on & off easily when you want to remove the hood/lid for maintenance:

I've also done this on my large tank with a glass lid - the fabric molds right around the pipes, cords and tubing. In this case the velcro is on the back edge and sides of the tank and on the back edge of the glass so the large gap running along the back is covered up:

And last is my Q tank - I had to set this up in a hurry one day and didn't have fabric that would blend in or that would stick on it's own, or black velcro. But since no one ever sees this tank I didn't care how it looked. But here you can see an example of how I had to attach velcro to both the tank and the fabric in order for it to stick:

And then here it is all covered up (ugly, but effective). I'll probably re-do this one with the leftover fabric and velcro from my minibow project today.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-26-2012, 04:23 AM

PTrader: (0/0%)
Cool idea Wendy! Thanks for sharing.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-26-2012, 07:40 AM
Algae Grower

I see this and have 2 thoughts...

1. Excellent solution to a universal problem.
2. EEEEEWWWWWWW duckweed. LOL.

Sorry, I'm prejudiced, I had a tank that I really liked that I had to completely tear down to get rid of the duckweed that would not stop spreading like the plague.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-26-2012, 03:54 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

LOL - I am one of the few people that like duckweed I guess. It sucks up nitrates and also provides cover for the fish, so I find it to be useful. The only thing I really hate about it is when I have to reach in the tank, and I pull my arm out and it's COVERED in duckweed!
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-26-2012, 06:30 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (16/100%)
Great idea, and I like duckweed too!
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-26-2012, 06:43 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (13/100%)
Nice idea.
I also love duckweed and it doesn't bother me when I get it on my arms.
One question do you have to wash your fabric every so often for fear of mold?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-26-2012, 09:54 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Interesting idea but I would also be wary of using fabric due to its ability to absorb water & other gunk.

A quicker fix would be to use small mesh size plastic canvas. It's easy to cut to size and generally heavy enough to stay in place. It's also very easy to clean and comes in various colors, including black, which blends well with black hoods.

Dee
Eheim Pimpette #270
Eheim Pro II 2028; Classics Series -2215, 2217, 2260, 2262; Pro 2229 Wet/Dry
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-26-2012, 11:31 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Yes that would work as well, altho you'd have to cut it to fit around larger pipes and tubing since it's not very pliable.

I've not really had an issue with the fabric getting wet since it's above the water line. If it did I would imagine it would dry really fast since it's not a heavy weight fabric.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-27-2012, 12:59 AM
Algae Grower

Do I have to use a floral print canvas, or can I make it more masculine? This is a great idea BTW!
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-27-2012, 01:15 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)
Great idea!

I cut a piece of cardboard & cut out places for the tubes & cord then put a rock on it.

I like your idea much better

Eheim Pimp Club #490 Ecco 2232
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-27-2012, 02:25 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

I use the lacy/mesh fabric simply because air can get thru it easily since most of my tanks have bettas in them, and also cause this type of fabric usually sticks to the velcro on it's own. I really can't say about heavier fabrics - I dunno how well air can be exchanged thru something heavy. I do know that velcro won't stick to most other fabrics and you would need to use velcro on both the tank and the fabric.

I think the canvas one of the other posters was talking about is the plastic craft canvas that has little holes in it.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-27-2012, 09:55 AM
Algae Grower

You should have called the thread "how to make your tank look sexy".
Clever thinking, I might be using this myself in the future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeda View Post
Interesting idea but I would also be wary of using fabric due to its ability to absorb water & other gunk.

A quicker fix would be to use small mesh size plastic canvas. It's easy to cut to size and generally heavy enough to stay in place. It's also very easy to clean and comes in various colors, including black, which blends well with black hoods.
The black lace looks like nylon which is a plastic, it won't absorb much water. You could use it in the water and it wouldn't break down for many years.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode