So what is this brown stuff? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-25-2012, 10:32 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (24/100%)
So what is this brown stuff?

So I haven't had any luck with growing my plants and I thought this brown stuff was just plant decay from my melting plants but I pulled everything that was melting and trimmed it to the very bottom yet I'm still getting this brown stuff all over. What could this be and is there anyway to get rid of it? I SHOULDA GOT A DOG!!!

Last edited by kevinmichael77; 04-23-2014 at 06:03 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-25-2012, 10:35 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (9/100%)
looks like diatoms. is your tank newly set up? Here is an algae guide that is very useful

http://www.theplantedtank.co.uk/algae.htm
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-25-2012, 10:37 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

It's been set up for a few months now, I think January 4th was the set up date. I've also spotted some green stringy stuff attached to one of my snails.

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-25-2012, 10:45 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I still get diatoms even though all of my tanks have been cycled for over 6 months. It also has to do with the lighting too, I think. In my case anyway. Are those the only 2 types of algae you see? How long is your lighting period and what type of setup do you have? Here is another members thread about the same stuff...
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/al...cs-inside.html

You might get more help posting in the Algae section, or searching through that section would yield a lot of good information
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-26-2012, 12:51 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

My photo period is set at 8 hours. I'm running two t5 ho 24 watt lights about 15 inches from the substrate with pressurized co2. Is there anything I can do or do I just need to wait it out?
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-26-2012, 01:40 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I recommend Otocinclus. They are good eaters of the brown diatoms. I have also read somewhere there is another fish that would gobble that up, but I can't recall which it is. Anyway, that will go away over time. Shouldn't take too long. Grab a turkey baster from your local grocery store, and you can suck it up and discard it, if you don't want to add any more fishies

Also, in regards to algae in general, have you looked into increasing the amount of CO2 you are pumping in? I would look up what that stringy thing is on your snail, to figure out which type of algae it is. Most algae will be gone once you find that balance between light, nutrients and co2..
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-26-2012, 01:54 AM
Wannabe Guru

Are there any good Otos for a 10 gallon?
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-26-2012, 02:03 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

thechibi, they stay really small compared to other catfish. I believe they only reach 1-1.5 inches, so a 10 gallon would be ok, depending on how stocked you are now and your setup. Once all of the algae is eaten, you would have to supplement them with a variety of foods, which include blanched zucchini, etc. They are good to have, I think. I have total, 7. 5 of them I got last summer. As far as which type of Oto, thats up to you and what you have available. Misjinkzd has some really gorgeous zebras for sale. Depends on what you want to spend too
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-26-2012, 02:09 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
"I SHOULDA GOT A DOG!!"

Try a bulldog - bulldog pleco that is. I was having an issue recently with this brown stuff also in a tank that's been going for almost a year, along with a bit of algae on a java fern. The brown stuff I had rubs off quite easily with a paper towel when doing water changes. I had also lost some plants although I still have plenty in there that are doing great. My tank get some direct sunlight which may also be contributing to the problem.

Last weekend when I changed the water, I left a couple of spots on purpose, and I then added 3 otos and one bull dog pleco. Gone, overnight! And the java fern has been cleaned up pretty well also. I've been told the bulldog is a bit more gentle on the plants than the bushynose I have in another tank. Time will tell on that. But the otos are good for the finer leaves.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-26-2012, 02:24 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlyons01 View Post
thechibi, they stay really small compared to other catfish. I believe they only reach 1-1.5 inches, so a 10 gallon would be ok, depending on how stocked you are now and your setup. Once all of the algae is eaten, you would have to supplement them with a variety of foods, which include blanched zucchini, etc. They are good to have, I think. I have total, 7. 5 of them I got last summer. As far as which type of Oto, thats up to you and what you have available. Misjinkzd has some really gorgeous zebras for sale. Depends on what you want to spend too
Well, my big concern is size and if they'd need a lot of friends. If they need friends, no, I don't have room. But a cute oto would be awesome. I have some C. habrosus and a few CPDs at the moment.
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-26-2012, 02:55 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Mine do not really shoal or school, but more that they seem to follow each other when searching for food. Have you given thought to Amano shrimps? They will also eat a good variety of algae. I am on the brink of getting some, my tank has several kinds of algae festering now and I need to have a clean up team
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-26-2012, 07:57 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
That is no where close to being diatoms. Diatoms are more like a brown "dust" over everything. The picture looks more fluffy. It looks like a hair or thread algae. I can't really help you with removal since I always have Amano shrimp in my tanks and have never had any algae stick around long enough to be a problem.

Last edited by OrangeSoda; 02-26-2012 at 07:58 AM. Reason: spelling
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-26-2012, 08:07 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
oto's won't eat this stuff.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

125g Breeding group Tilapia
2x 75g+ 40B Tilapia outgrow tanks
20H Philippine blue Angelfish breeders + fry
20L CPD and Shrimp tank
10g Apisto Gibbiceps

Bengal: Meisje
Savannah Cat: Kimchee
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-26-2012, 12:47 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

You are right

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeSoda View Post
That is no where close to being diatoms. Diatoms are more like a brown "dust" over everything. The picture looks more fluffy. It looks like a hair or thread algae. I can't really help you with removal since I always have Amano shrimp in my tanks and have never had any algae stick around long enough to be a problem.
You are right, I referred to it as Diatoms, when it is not. According to the site that I referenced in one of my previous posts, it is Brown Algae. The description given was for both. As for Otos eating it, I know they love Diatoms, but I stated that because again, the page I referenced included them in ways to remove it.
I personally have not experienced the floaty brown stuff, but have the Diatoms.

Manual removal seems the best option.
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-26-2012, 01:03 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
See what my sig says.

|
|

Solution to ALL ALGAE Problem: Flying Fox!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode