Is this a good price for a 60g..? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-24-2012, 05:17 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Is this a good price for a 60g..?

I'm in the market for a bigger tank. Someone is selling a 60g with a stand/hood/one light/filter/2 heaters(And the fish, apparently.). They're willing to take $165.

Should I go for it? In my area it is kind of hard to find a decent sized tank.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-24-2012, 05:46 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
Seems kind of high compared to what I've seen on places like Craigslist in my area, and everything here is generally pretty expensive. What kind of fish come with it? You can get yourself into a real mess if it comes with a bunch of sick, overcrowded, or incompatible fish that you don't want and that may be hard to get rid of. Have you seen pics of the tank and especially the stand and hood to see what kind of shape they're in?
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-24-2012, 05:52 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Yeah, they've got a couple pictures. The hood itself isn't in especially good condition but it doesn't seem terrible either. The filter looks like a tetrafin. I don't know what kind of fish it comes with, though I had planned to just give them away regardless as I need an upgrade for my goldfish for a while. It does seem a little high to me but anything above 55 gallons all seem to be going for above $200 around here.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-24-2012, 06:08 PM
Wannabe Guru

Do you have a Petco? They were having a $1 per gallon sale recently. If the filter was a canister and it comes with a stand, then maybe $75-$100 sounds reasonable.
How many goldfish are you planning to put in a 60G? You may need to upgrade again so maybe hold out for a larger tank deal.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-24-2012, 06:36 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
Also be aware that glass ETCHES from having water levels drop into the viewing areas. I found that problem on over half the tanks I looked at used. Also, copper treatments stay in the silicone and frame parts for a time. Check the silicone to see if it has a blue hue to it - that would tell you if the tank has had medication in it. Check the condition of the silicone carefully! There's a lot of junk out there, and most of it ends up on CL eventually.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-24-2012, 06:39 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by m00se View Post
Also be aware that glass ETCHES from having water levels drop into the viewing areas. I found that problem on over half the tanks I looked at used. Also, copper treatments stay in the silicone and frame parts for a time. Check the silicone to see if it has a blue hue to it - that would tell you if the tank has had medication in it. Check the condition of the silicone carefully! There's a lot of junk out there, and most of it ends up on CL eventually.
Yes, look over used tanks very carefully. I went to a few houses before finding a great deal. I paid $50 for a 55g, tank only.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-24-2012, 08:38 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

I almost bought a 55g during the $1/g sale, but I didn't have a stand or anything for it and it would have cost me way more than I would have wanted to pay lol.

It's going to hold 9 goldfish for about ~2 months before they are going out to a pond. Right now all the poor things are squashed into a 20g and I want to move them out asap.

I'm not too worried about potential glass etching (I didn't even know that happened!) as long as the tank holds water and it comes with a suitable filter then I'm all good. The one that came with this was looked like an HOB.

I think I'll keep looking then. I did want to get one rather soon though. If I was able to find one with hood/stand/filter/good condition, between 50-90 gallons, would $75-125 be worth it?
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-24-2012, 10:07 PM
Algae Grower

Use craigslist to check adjacent areas. It does seem a little expensive. You will probably save $$ by driving a bit, but weighed against the cost of time and gas, ???

You partially answered your own question by saying they are hard to find in you area.

Supply and demand my friend.

Adam
SAPS member

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-24-2012, 10:32 PM
Wannabe Guru

Wait - if you're only worried about 2 months use, go buy a Rubbermaid trashcan and stick a Odyssea CFS500 on it and be done. $75 out the door! Gold fish don't need heat, and they sure won't care if they have a window to look out of!

:-)
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-24-2012, 11:51 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Haha, well, I was hoping to get a larger tank that already had a working filter in the process to use in the future, but yes, that idea crossed my mind! I had one goldie die this morning, but he's been sick since I got him. The rest were doing fine. I split them into two groups. I put the four largest in a 40g plastic bin with a 20g filter (It's all I've got for now!) and the other four are still in tank.

Unfortunately I live find of far from anywhere really. It's ~25 miles down the mountain just to get to the nearest city (which is where I'm looking lol), and the more populated areas are either much further north or much further west. I've been looking in all inland empire (even in LA, San Diego, and Yuma, AZ) but so far everything of interest is too far to drive, since I have to rent a U-haul, any tank wouldn't fit in the back of my new car.

I DID see an acrylic 60g no stand, with what I believe is a marineland canister filter, but they want $120 for it. It's more local.

I might just skip for now and wait for one of the $1/g sales to come around again. In the meantime I'll look around for a stand. What I mainly hoped to save money on was the equipment - especially the filters. The decent ones are pretty costly.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-24-2012, 11:57 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)
Just ask the person if they'd entertain your offer!

I buy and sell on craigslist very often and I can always get the price I'm looking for. It may take time, but people are definitely willing to settle for less, most just want the thing gone and out of their house. Tell them you will pick it up and pay cash and try to negotiate. Say I realize that this is all very expensive new but... the glass is etched/dirty, the silicone looks a little rough, I'm gonna have to give all of these fish away, the filter isn't ideal etc.. Make them feel like their product isn't perfect for you and they'll change their own opinion about how much it is worth. If you take the time to go out there than more than likely they'll give it to you for what you're asking.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-25-2012, 02:31 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

I hope so. I usually try to get them down in price through email first to see if they will budge at all. If they go down decently I'll go see it in person but at that point I'm risking having to drive away empty handed lol.

I do know there is a thrift store on san diego that constantly has tanks because they "overprice" (they really aren't expensive, just in a low income neighborhood) I just remembered about, I'm going to shoot over there beggining of next month and see what they have, and maybe arrange to see a few tanks along the way.

hopefully I'll get a nice tank soon! Just need to learn which filters aren't good and what damaged ones look/sound like. :p
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-25-2012, 02:53 AM
Wannabe Guru

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-25-2012, 03:05 AM
Planted Tank Guru

See, now I'd probably pay $120 for a 60g acrylic if it wasn't scratched up real bad, even if nothing came with it. I love acrylic tanks cause no seams = no leaks. They will last forever.

Is there a freecycle community near you? You might find something on there for free. http://www.freecycle.org/
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-25-2012, 03:37 AM
Planted Member

I live in the wrong place!just paid $300 for a stand, canopy and fluval 405.AND I needed to buy a tank(55).Looking at local craigslist I feel I got a good deal! Oh yea he through in a net

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode