Fluval Edge help - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-24-2012, 02:59 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Question Fluval Edge help

Hello,
This is my first time posting on a forum! I was hoping to get some experienced advice on my Fluval edge. I'll start with what I want to do. I really want to do some natural rocks that I have collected from my yard/woods and boiled to sanitize them with the flourite black substrate I have. Then I want to put baby tears in to do a carpet plus dwarf hair grass around the rocks. This Is for my blue crown tail betta and his zebra nerite snail friend. My concern is that everything I read says with out proper lighting baby tear doesn't thrive. I've already replaced the stock halogen lights in the edge with mr11 LED so I just have the two mr11 right now. Will I need more lighting then this? and if so what could I use? I've read that you need at least 2.5 watts per gallon but does that change if the tank is shallow like the edge? I also am planning to set up a DIY co2 systen with a nano glass co2 diffuser from amazon. and suppliment with seachem flourish once a week so not to risk killing the snail with the minute copper that's in the flourish I think it's like 0.0001. I am very open to ideas but please remember I'm on a budget lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-24-2012, 03:08 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (16/100%)
Hi Daisy

I have an Edge as well, I made the same lighting upgrades that you just mentioned. In my opinion you will definitely need more light to get the baby tears to carpet or even thrive. I have had Dwarf Hair Grass in my Edge, I planted in tiny little plugs all over the place, I found that the lighting was not enough for it to thrive either. It grew very very slowly and in the 2-3 months that I had it, it never spread, just the little plugs reached for the light.

Flourish should be fine for your snail. I have never had a snail that I wanted to keep alive, but I have used Flourish with shrimp galore, and never had an issue.

As far as getting more light into your Edge, I would recommend that you check out "The Official Edge Thread" https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/pl...ge-thread.html, there is a wealth of info there, as well as documentation of other peoples mods, of which there are a lot. I have just resigned to using my edge for what its good at, low light, low maintenance.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-24-2012, 04:36 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Thank you

Thank you so much! I will work on putting more light in. It's also good to know that the flourish wont hurt my snails too. Eventually I would love to try some shrimp in it once I have proper hiding spots for them so the betta doesn't bother them. Or maybe some dwarf orenge crayfish.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-24-2012, 04:41 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
You will want to set the Edge up to be as low maintenance as possible. The shape of the opening makes accessing the front of the tank virtually impossible, so try not to put any plants that will need to be trimmed in those spots. I had some lighting trouble with mine (I could not find the LEDs for it) so I just added a 15" T8 on top of the glass in front of the hood. This increased the lighting, but also increased the temp in the tank quite a bit. With good planning and the right plants and fish, these tanks can be great. Good luck!

I even have duckweed in my water bong!
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-25-2012, 04:15 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (10/100%)
I have the stock lighting and no CO2 system in this tank with crypts and a marimo ball. There's a zillion crystal red shrimp, a male guppy, and 2 nerites. I dose regularly with Flourish Excel and Flourish Comprehensive with no problems for shrimp or nerites. The tank has been going for nearly a year this way and the growth is lush but needs no trimming. It's a tank at work where I don't want to be fussing around too much.....

sox

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-25-2012, 04:56 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (5/100%)
I have an edge and tried to setup up exactly what you are describing. HC carpet with DHG in the back. I upgraded the lights to 2 mr16's + 2 LED light bars. Even doing the DSM my HC grew agonizingly slow and would not have survived after I flooded the tank. However the DHG grew pretty well. I have now replaced the HC with MM and am waiting for it to grow in.

The major problem with lighting the edge is getting light to the front and corners. Basically the front and sides are extremely low light no matter how much light you get under the hood. If you want to grow HC you will need to add a light source outside the hood that can light the front.

Also trimming HC through the tiny opening in the edge will get old real fast.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode