Keeping roselines with discuss - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-24-2012, 03:23 AM Thread Starter
Banned

PTrader: (4/100%)
Keeping roselines with discuss

I currently have a school of 6 roseline sharks, 1 black ghost knife and 2 bristlenose plecos I would like to start keeping discuss from what I understand they prefer higher temps I currently keep my tank at 79 degrees with a ph of 6.6 could I keep discuss? If I raised the temp would my other fish be okay?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-24-2012, 04:04 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Roselines - Denison's Barb - are beautiful fish, and while possibly some may have successfully kept them with discus, I would rather doubt they would be compatible tank-mates for discus.
They are very active, fast-moving fish that can become quite aggressive over food, and even though I haven't personally kept them with discus, I believe they would tend to stress discus, intimidate them, and out-compete them for food.
They also prefer cooler temps - 76-79 and discus will not tolerate, over the long term, temp under approx 82 F and still remain healthy & thriving.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-24-2012, 05:08 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Thanks that's kind of what I was thinking but I was just curious to know if someone that has successfully done it for a long period of time. They are my two favorite fish and un fortunately my girlfriend has drawn the line and I can't have any more tanks. I guess I will just wait another 5 years for the roselines To pass

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-24-2012, 05:49 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)
Funny you should ask. I just saw this video in the "youtube" thread:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UckghOmPoCk&lr=1

Obviously this person is keeping them together.

Will
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-24-2012, 05:35 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Yes, and Jose Cardona is not only an expert photographer, but also an experienced discus-keeper, and knows what to watch out for.
I was aware that some discus-keepers had been successful keeping Denisons with Discus, and Jose is obviously one of them.
But I certainly wouldn't recommend that a newbie to discus try to do that.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-24-2012, 09:29 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Well if he can do it why cant I I my be somewhat new to fish keeping but I have always challenged myself I guess I will just have to try it
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-25-2012, 12:12 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Well Seth, go ahead if you feel that confident. And good luck.
My recommendation to new discus-keepers is to get a few months' of experience with discus' behavior before moving on to even borderline potential troublesome situations they may live to regret.
Keep a close watch on them - but signs of stress in discus can be hard to detect, and before you know it, you could be faced with sick discus. That's my .02, and I'm a positive guy generally, not a nay-sayer.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-25-2012, 01:05 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Is there any advice you can give me I always do lots of research before buying fish especially higher priced sensitive fish any advice would be great the biggest issue I'm encountering is the temp issue my tanks always have perfect levels I don't even let my nitrites get over 10ppm
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-25-2012, 01:06 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (206/100%)
Send a message via AIM to msjinkzd
I think the temperatures are just too off for long term health of the barbs.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-25-2012, 01:12 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (16/100%)
u do not need to keep discus at such high temps. they are fine at 82 degrees. roseline do prefer cooler temps. but they are fine in higher temps. just make sure u have lots of current and air tho. higher temps the more current and air u need.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-25-2012, 01:15 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (206/100%)
Send a message via AIM to msjinkzd
I do agree that oxygenation is key, the dissolved oxygen available at warmer temps is really the limiting factor with a species like the barbs.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-25-2012, 02:37 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sethjohnson30 View Post
Is there any advice you can give me I always do lots of research before buying fish especially higher priced sensitive fish any advice would be great the biggest issue I'm encountering is the temp issue my tanks always have perfect levels I don't even let my nitrites get over 10ppm
Well Seth, since you asked, it may help you to have a read of my Beginner's Guide to Getting Started with Discus, located here as a Sticky in the 'Fish' section.
Have a look, and when you've digested it all, I'd be vey happy to answer any further questions you might have.
Regards & best of luck with discus.
Paul
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-25-2012, 02:44 AM Thread Starter
Banned

With the higher temps and more oxygen, would that have an affect on my c02 levels
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-25-2012, 02:59 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Hard question to answer - it may, but not to any significant degree I would believe - depends on how much oxygen is going in to the tank by whatever means, and for how long each day, and what your BPS level of CO2 is maintained at, and for how long each day.
Point to be made here is that anyone getting started with discus for the first time should try to keep things as simple as possible for the first while - until reasonable experience is gained with keeping discus - and that could mean avoiding a high-tech CO2 environment - which could create problems for discus with altering pH levels as one example, among other things.

Best advice when keeping discus (expensive fish) is the focus should be on keeping the discus healthy & happy - nothing else - maintenance of a favourable planted tank environment should be a very low secondary goal.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-27-2012, 05:34 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)
I've got into planted tanks years ago because I saw this Amano tank pic:

Funny enough, that pic also started me on dreaming of keeping discus! A long story short: I've been keeping a planted tank at discus levels (83F, 6.2pH, 3-4 KH, 3 GH, etc..) for years now and I still don't have any discus. I did alot of research and forum lurking (simplydiscus) and realized that they are more work than I want to put in right now. For some reason I still keep my tank at discus levels. Kinda weird. I must secretly think I'll get some one of these days since I'll already have a nice home for them.

Maybe when I retire in 25 years.

Will

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode