Bringing plants back from Thailand - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-23-2012, 02:39 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
Bringing plants back from Thailand

Hello everyone,

I'm taking a trip to Thailand in a couple weeks and I was wondering if there is any legal way to bring plants back to the US. I know if I can get ones with phytosanitary certificates that is no issue but I'm more interested in bringing things I collect back if it's possible. Any help here from the more educated travelers would be appreciated.

Thanks Len

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-23-2012, 03:31 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Hi Len,

I learned something about this when Karen Randall did some excellent presentations for GSAS about her collecting trips to Thailand with Christel Kasselmann. From what I understand if the plants are healthy, no bugs, thoroughly cleaned (with no sick parts or dirt attached), properly marked as 'Propagation Plant Material', and have the necessary phytosanitary certificate you can bring in up to 12 plants through standard US Customs. More plants requires the plants to go through APHIS inspection station which you likely will want to avoid. Here is the page that supplied the following information.

Quote:
Propagative Plant Material (Plants/Plant Parts for
Planting)
Many plants may enter the United States from
foreign countries, provided they meet certain entry
requirements. Entry requirements vary by plant, but
the following requirements universally apply:
• If you bring back 12 or fewer admissible plants
that have no special restrictions, you do not
need a permit. Special restrictions may include
requirements such as a permit, post-entry
quarantine, treatment, or Endangered Species
Act or Convention on International Trade in
Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora
documentation.
• Plants must be accompanied by a phytosanitary
certificate from the country of origin showing that
the plants meet entry requirements for the United
States.
• Plants should be bare rooted (no growing media
attached to the roots).
• You should perform a basic visual inspection of
plants. Look for insects or sickly looking plant
parts.
• Wrap plants in damp newspaper or similar material
to prevent them from drying out. Roots may be
secured in a plastic bag.
Twelve or fewer plants are inspected by CBP at
the fi rst port of entry. Thirteen or more plants will be
inspected by APHIS personnel at the nearest plant
inspection station. If the inspector fi nds plant pests
that could cause harm to other plants, or if the plants
do not meet entry requirements, they will be refused
entry. This means you must forfeit the plants, which
will either be destroyed or returned to the country of
origin.
Travelers are advised to consult with their nearest
inspection station to determine the admissibility of
propagative plant material (including live plants, bulbs,
corms, cuttings, root crowns, seeds, etc.). For a list
of inspection stations, visit www.aphis.usda.gov/
import_export/plants/plant_imports/plant_inspection_
stations_contd.shtml.
Have a great trip!

Roy_________

75 Gallon, 2X55W AH Supply CF 8800K, 1XFluval F&P 2.0; 45 Gallon Tall, 96Watt AH Supply CF 6700K; 30 Gallon Long; Fluval F&P 2.0; 20 Gallon, 1X26W AH Supply LED; all with CO2 and (Calcined) Montmorillonite Clay
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-23-2012, 03:44 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)
As long as they aren't on a protected/endangered list with PCert the magic # is 12. the P-Certs maybe be the hardest part if you deal with anyone not shipping plants on a regular basis from Thailand. Contact ahead of time might be a good idea.

Keep in mind that is per person. So if you have traveling companions they can bring back plants also.

We will be expecting lots of Pics!

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-23-2012, 03:47 PM
Planted Tank Guru

+1 Dogfish!

And of course vegetative compensation for the excellent information we have provided! lol

Roy_________

75 Gallon, 2X55W AH Supply CF 8800K, 1XFluval F&P 2.0; 45 Gallon Tall, 96Watt AH Supply CF 6700K; 30 Gallon Long; Fluval F&P 2.0; 20 Gallon, 1X26W AH Supply LED; all with CO2 and (Calcined) Montmorillonite Clay
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-23-2012, 03:53 PM
ShrimpRetirement

PTrader: (397/100%)
Stuff them all in a coffee thermos. Oh yeah, don't forget the shrimps too!! haha *kidding*

Good luck with it bro! I hope you bring back lots of rare items for us to ohhhh and awww over.

|
|
|
|
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-23-2012, 03:55 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)
Len - The permit for more that 12 plants is about $85 but the bureaucratic timetable is 45-60days to get it processed & in your hands. I believe now that can all be done online.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-23-2012, 03:57 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Thanks for the help so far, my biggest question would then be is there a way to get a phytosantary cert for a plant you collect yourself. I would really like to bring back some more uncommon things schismatoglottis and other small aroids. I'm ending my trip with 5 days in bangkok so if you can get one there on stuff you collect that would be my best option.

Len

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-23-2012, 04:27 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Hi Len,

Maybe this will help! I would print of the required forms and not count on them having what you need.

Quote:
4. Make a request for the pest-free certificate
- Bangkok: Standard and Plant Inspection Service Division, Warehouse Office 2, Bangkok International Airport, Tel. (66 2) 5042719-20, 5351696, 5237652-3 Fax. 5042720, 5237653
Added: Thinking further on this I would probably check with the above office when I arrived to make sure they could handle my needs or hopefully send me to the correct facility if they can't.

Roy_________

Last edited by Seattle_Aquarist; 02-23-2012 at 04:48 PM. Reason: add info
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-23-2012, 04:53 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Bump for added info above.

Roy_________

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-23-2012, 05:43 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle_Aquarist View Post
Hi Len,

Maybe this will help! I would print of the required forms and not count on them having what you need.

Added: Thinking further on this I would probably check with the above office when I arrived to make sure they could handle my needs or hopefully send me to the correct facility if they can't.
That would be perfect, thanks and if anyone has any other suggestions let me know, 12 plants is more than enough for me so no need to worry about additional permits and paperwork, I'm going to stay away from orchids because they cause cites issues but most aroids are ok (I really want to try and find the aglaonema pictum "tricolor" that Xue has so I plan on doing some store shopping as well) This trip is to meet my brother (who is stationed in Afganistan) while he is on leave so while we plan on doing some hiking in the jungles it isn't a hardcore collecting trip so I probably won't find too many cool crypts or anything but small asian aroids are actually harder to find here in the states than crypts so I'm going to focus on them.

Len

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-23-2012, 05:47 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (20/100%)
you need to go to JAPAN lol to get that velvet tricolor!
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-23-2012, 06:49 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by klaus07 View Post
you need to go to JAPAN lol to get that velvet tricolor!
Yeah I know that is were I've seen it sold but most of those crazy hybrids were actually propogated in Thailand so there is a chance something like it can be found there.

Len

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-23-2012, 07:45 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (26/100%)
I'm supposed to be going to thialand in august/september and hope to do a little of the same. I will have to bookmark this for reference. Make sure you update this with how everything went and if there were any problems.

Semper Fi

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode