Planning on setting up an emersed plant greenhouse! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-23-2012, 03:06 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (28/100%)
Planning on setting up an emersed plant greenhouse!

I'm planning on setting up a whole greenhouse dedicated to emersed-grown plants! If I can raise the money and buy the supplies I will probably do it. Texas is great for its mild winters so I don't think I'd have a problem keeping it warm in the winter, but keeping it cool in the summer will be hard. I'm thinking about putting stands of containers all around the edges and a kiddie pool in the middle. It willl most likely be a half-circle shape, and I think I'll build it out of pvc. It will hopefully be going up in the next month. What do you think?

RAOK Club #38
Fraternity of Dirt #91

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-23-2012, 02:39 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
Sounds fun, some drawings of your plans might help to

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Sump Pimp #8
RAOK Clubber #28
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-23-2012, 02:41 PM
Wannabe Guru

I agree with your concern about cooling it, that will probably be your biggest challenge because alot of plants won't do well in too hot of an environment. You may want to look into evaporation walls or big circulation fans.

Len

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-23-2012, 03:27 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWA-Planted View Post
Sounds fun, some drawings of your plans might help to

Will do as soon as I know more! I still have to pick a spot and figure out the building plans!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbacha View Post
I agree with your concern about cooling it, that will probably be your biggest challenge because alot of plants won't do well in too hot of an environment. You may want to look into evaporation walls or big circulation fans.

Len
That's definitely what I'm worried about most. 110 degree days for weeks in a row would be just a little bit of a problem. What I think I'll do is get a few fans and some misters. Those'll need some ventilation for evaporation cooling so I may put a few holes in the top that can be covered up. The misters will help provide more humidity and wetness.

Gonna do more planning today and see what I'll do.

RAOK Club #38
Fraternity of Dirt #91

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-23-2012, 05:15 PM
Planted Tank Guru

For cooling, swamp fans!

Sump Pimp #8
RAOK Clubber #28
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-24-2012, 12:58 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Oh wow those are a little bit more expensive than what I had on mind... Used regular old fans were what I had in mind. I think I'll buy fans last. First I'll set up ventilation and misters.
Ok, I have a plan now. I have several old 2 by 4s and I am thinking about drilling holes for the thickest bendy pvc to fit in. I think that'll be 3/4 of an inch. I'm probably going to do the half cylinder style with a door on one of the endings. Plants will be in containers all the way around the sides and in kiddie pool(s) in the center. I'm still thinking about the spot but I'm pretty sure I have a mostly level one with plenty of room.

RAOK Club #38
Fraternity of Dirt #91

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-24-2012, 01:21 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Yea evap walls for sure.
A giant radiator on one wall and a fan on the other to pull air through wet media.

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-24-2012, 01:40 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

What do you mean by evaporation walls? I was going to cut some holes in the top with remmovable covers to let the warm air rise out and the misters would also be on the ceiling. I would most likely have the cheapest fans so probably multiple fans set up in the corners of the greenhouse.

RAOK Club #38
Fraternity of Dirt #91

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-24-2012, 01:47 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Can make a version of a swamp fan yourself easy enough I am sure, its a good concept

Sump Pimp #8
RAOK Clubber #28
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-24-2012, 03:02 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbuilder View Post
What do you mean by evaporation walls? I was going to cut some holes in the top with remmovable covers to let the warm air rise out and the misters would also be on the ceiling. I would most likely have the cheapest fans so probably multiple fans set up in the corners of the greenhouse.
Evap walls is something we use in our green house. Its essentially a cardboard radiator and a fan and it pulls air through the radiator, it evaporates and cools.
I can tell you that today was the first warm day of the year in our green house, it was 72 degrees out and the evap system came on at 11 AM...
It was still probably 85 in there with the system running.
Without it it would be 100 degrees, at 72 degrees outside.

The problem with just fans and ventilation is if the outside is 100 degrees then the inside isn't going to be any cooler no matter how much ventilation you have.

Just misting won't work because then you'll over water everything.
Some tropicals will be fine with it, others will get mold and rot and die.

Misting and ventilation work well together, but it will still get very hot.

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-24-2012, 03:05 AM
Planted Tank Guru

You could rig up your own evap walls with something like a taught mesh of cordage or something and when it gets hot in there just spray down the cordage and turn the fans on.
The cordage would be open to the elements on the outside so you'd probably make it so you could cover the opening on the outside.
The air pulled through the greenhouse over the wet cords will be nice and cool.

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-24-2012, 07:29 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Ok I researched it and understand it now. That will work great. Now just to figure costs, space, and building materials.

RAOK Club #38
Fraternity of Dirt #91

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-24-2012, 07:32 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (76/94%)
Temp is much less of an issue when plants are emmersed and not submersed.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode