Discus success with CO2 and ferts?? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-22-2012, 06:08 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Discus success with CO2 and ferts??

Hi All,

I'm making a strong push to add Discus to my 90 gal, mod/hi light, pressurized CO2, and EI fert routine. I've done some searches on this site and discus sites, but can't find the definitive info I'm looking for.

Questions:
1) How tolerant are discus of the daily pH swings that accompany CO2 injection. My drop checker goes from dark blue to very light green (this is with 4degree prep water). I haven't actually measured my tank water pH change, but assume it swings somewhat.

2) with EI dosing, how do Discus handle this; esp the KNO3 (nitrate) dosing?

3) What is the general success rate for discus in a planted tank. If you read Simply discus forum, they talk like its a death sentence. I'm not looking to breed.

Any othe rinfo would be appreciated.

Thanks
Adam

Adam
SAPS member

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-22-2012, 06:20 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (22/100%)
I've spent countless hours reading about discus last year, and IMO you just opened a can of planted-discus worms , buddy.

Search for dapellegrini on simplydiscus. He had(?) a planted ADA 120-P with discus.
http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...l=1#post717873
http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...ale&highlight=

Search for scolley here - he has a planted discus tank, though I think his focus is now on his reef tank/s.

Search for plantbrain here also - pretty sure he had discus in one of his monster client tanks

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-22-2012, 06:38 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
Planted tanks, good for keeping adult discus, not at all recommended for growing them out due to the needed water changes, fertilizing and CO2 don't seem to be an issue.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Sump Pimp #8
RAOK Clubber #28

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-22-2012, 06:41 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWA-Planted View Post
Planted tanks, good for keeping adult discus, not at all recommended for growing them out due to the needed water changes, fertilizing and CO2 don't seem to be an issue.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

I don't think water change is an issue at all. I am already doing 2 50% WC per week. I am not even keeping discus. The issue is that young Discus is prone to illness. Then, you need to treat it with medication.

Canon Pimp Club #005
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-22-2012, 06:59 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Well Kings, there's good news, and not so good news.
My best advice to new discus-keepers wanting to ensure they are successful at it, is to keep it as simple as you can to begin with, don't overcomplicate things, and keep your TLC focus fully on the discus, not your plants, aquascaping, etc.
It can be a lot easier for those aquarists who have a good amount of previous experience with fish-keeping in planted environments, but that's still not a guarantee of success.

A heavily planted hich-tech tank with pressurized CO2 can certainly make things more problematic in properly caring for discus. While reasonable, daily pH swings are not abnormal in any tank, and are acceptable in keeping discus, so long as they are gradual over the day and night, and not overly large in terms of the pH level, any quickly changing pH can and usually will be a problem. Similarly, a high nitrate level is usually harmful to discus.
EI or other fert dosing should not pose a particular problem, nor should reasonable other carbon source (e.g. Excel) dosing.
To start off properly with discus, I would suggest avoiding a high-tech, pressurized C02 environment until one has gained several months' experience keeping discus.
As for keeping them in planted tanks, I have done so many times with good success, but I do religiously undertake large, frequent wcs, and follow a strict, meticulous routine of tank & filter media cleansing, with frequent tank wipe-downs, vacuuming, etc.
It certainly can be done successfully, but there's no doubt it takes more work and attention to say, a bb tank, and it often may tend to limit the growth and development of discus to their optimal potential.
Hope this helps.
You may want to have a look at my planted discus tank, where I've been raising juvies for many months. I know full well some may not reach their full growth potential, but as long as they're happy and healthy, I'm fine with that.

http://s1105.photobucket.com/albums/...spaul/Sept2011

Anything more I can do to help, don't hesitate to ask.
Best of luck to you.
Paul
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-22-2012, 07:01 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (10/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tetra73 View Post
I don't think water change is an issue at all. I am already doing 2 50% WC per week. I am not even keeping discus. The issue is that young Discus is prone to illness. Then, you need to treat it with medication.
Water change is a huge issue, young discus get illness from having bad water. When you have a planted tank you have substrate and plants so you won't want to disturb it all the time. Young discus, unless of course you want stunted ugly fish, need a bare bottom tank or sand at the most so that you can constantly siphon the waste/extra food off the bottom and do at least a 25% daily wc. When growing out young discus, you will need to or should feed beef heart and if that were to get stuck in plants where you couldn't see them then that would rot in the water. Adult discus on the other hand can get by with 50% a week. They don't need beef heart and black worms/blood worms won't rot like bh would. Also, don't get any kind of pigeon blood strain as it will pepper.
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-22-2012, 07:08 PM
Discus freak

PTrader: (14/94%)
people on that forum are full of it... its their way or no way. you can def raise discus in your planted tank.. will it be easy? he'll no and you might even have trouble with ei dosing because of the frequent water changes.

Sent from my DROID X2

post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-22-2012, 07:11 PM
Discus freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by tetra73 View Post
two 50% on a 90 gallon should be okay. you won't get massive growth.. or maybe even grow them out to their full potential. they'll live healthy but won't be a good fish to brag about ^_^

Sent from my DROID X2

post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-22-2012, 07:19 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (267/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 30king View Post
Hi All,

I'm making a strong push to add Discus to my 90 gal, mod/hi light, pressurized CO2, and EI fert routine. I've done some searches on this site and discus sites, but can't find the definitive info I'm looking for.

Questions:
1) How tolerant are discus of the daily pH swings that accompany CO2 injection. My drop checker goes from dark blue to very light green (this is with 4degree prep water). I haven't actually measured my tank water pH change, but assume it swings somewhat.

2) with EI dosing, how do Discus handle this; esp the KNO3 (nitrate) dosing?

3) What is the general success rate for discus in a planted tank. If you read Simply discus forum, they talk like its a death sentence. I'm not looking to breed.

Any othe rinfo would be appreciated.

Thanks
Adam
Yes, look how sick and poor these discus look:

They have bred many times and so did the angels.

In general, 2x a week water changes are EXCELLENT for planted tanks, you cannot over do a water changes, other than time/labor etc........some simple methods to do water changes frequently should be considered, I use a hook garden hose to draina dn fill 5 aquariums. The tank above has a hard plumb drain and refill. So all you do is turn a valve to drain and refill with dechlorinated warm water. A plumber is well worth the cost to have them install something in your house like this, over the next 2-5-10 years, this will easily pay for itself.

Regards,
Tom Barr
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-22-2012, 07:23 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by oscarsx View Post
people on that forum are full of it... its their way or no way.

and now they spew their fascist dribble on this forum.

(A)narchy Love
The Fraternity of Dirt #2
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-22-2012, 07:28 PM
Discus freak

Sent from my DROID X2

post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-22-2012, 07:29 PM
Discus freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by plantbrain View Post
Yes, look how sick and poor these discus look:

They have bred many times and so did the angels.

In general, 2x a week water changes are EXCELLENT for planted tanks, you cannot over do a water changes, other than time/labor etc........some simple methods to do water changes frequently should be considered, I use a hook garden hose to draina dn fill 5 aquariums. The tank above has a hard plumb drain and refill. So all you do is turn a valve to drain and refill with dechlorinated warm water. A plumber is well worth the cost to have them install something in your house like this, over the next 2-5-10 years, this will easily pay for itself.
damn dude... nice set up, this yours?

Sent from my DROID X2

post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-22-2012, 07:43 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Beautiful set-up, Tom !!!
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-22-2012, 07:53 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (26/100%)
Quote:
tldr

Sent from my DROID X2
The acronyms are getting more complex, can you elaborate?

Quote:
damn dude... nice set up, this yours?

Sent from my DROID X2
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/ta...nted-tank.html

Semper Fi
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-22-2012, 08:29 PM
Discus freak

beautiful....dear Santa

Sent from my DROID X2

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode