Please Help with Plant Holding System - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-22-2012, 01:17 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)
Please Help with Plant Holding System

Hello,

First post of a long time ghost.

I am putting together a holding system for small orders of plants and I was looking for a little input. Here are the specs of my system so far, please feel free to add your input and help me improve this system. There is alot of informatin out there and some of it seems to disagree with other information that is available, lets see how goood my research was.

40 gallon long 48 1/4" x 12 3/4" x 16 7/8" (short)
45 gallon long 48 1/4" x 12 3/4" x 19" (Tall)
(Not sure which one I should use, The shorter one would get quicker results from the lights but the taller one could hold larger plants, thus being more valuable)

2.5 watts per gallon T5 6500K less then 6" off the top of the tank
Dry fertilization (perpetual fertilization system)
testing for Nitrate/Nitrite/Ammonia/PH/CO2/Kh/Gh
Eco-Complete substrate 3-4 inches thick
2 x Sponge Filters (Cycled)
200 watt Heater
4 x Two Liters DIY CO2
2 x Hagen plant grow CO2 diffusers
Thin Acrylic top locally cut
Korillia Power head to move water but not the surface of the water
In the stand Ill have two 10 gallons under the exact same conditions

Im hoping this system will help the plants quickly recover from shipping and prep them for another shipping trip to there final customer. I may have to hold some plants up to a month or two and others will need to be ready to ship out again in a week or so.

Thanks in advance.
Alex R.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-22-2012, 01:55 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
How will you keep it cycled?
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-22-2012, 02:04 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I plan on just monitering the paramiters and adjusting as needed. Ill have some fish or some shrimp breeding in it hopefully. I just dont know which direction I want to go. As for the nutrients Ill watch my plants and my testing all while doing water changes every so often.

Should I be doing something else?

Alex R.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-22-2012, 03:25 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)
I don't think you will really need the 19" high tank. Only a small per cent age of plants sold are that tall.

If you want to offer something special dip those plants before you put them in your tank. Very few people offer snail free plants.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-22-2012, 03:50 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Love it, Love it, Love it...

Ill definitly consider this. I want to deliver the best possible product.

If I was going to dip plants I would use Potassium Permanganate. This isnt as usefull against snails but it kills most snails and their eggs and kills algea without being as leathel as the 1:20 bleach/water dips. If you dip some stem plants into a bleach solution it can kill them.

Alex R.

Last edited by rbpwrd240; 02-22-2012 at 04:07 AM. Reason: And after consideration....
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-22-2012, 03:53 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Did I mention 10% off 1st order to anyone that posts a helpful idea on this thread by Friday 9pm eastern time?
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-22-2012, 04:28 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (76/94%)
I'd use a 40 Breeder. You get ~576 square inches of space in a 40L, but ~648 square inches on a 40B.

2.5 watts per gallon of t5 lighting is too much. Far too much. LIke crazy stupid high levels of light. It is a holding tank, your goal is to keep plants thriving, not covering them in algae. Particularly with DIY co2. You'll never keep up.

WPG is a horrible way to measure light, but I know for sure that it is too much light for this....

Since it is a plant holding tank, cycling is of no importance. Plants like ammonia. Love it, in reality. Cycles are for fish...

I'd dose on the higher end of EI, as you have no fear of hurting livestock. I'd do a PP dip, and use a nutrient rich substrate like ADA aquasoil or Dirt/Soil.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-22-2012, 04:38 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Well, I have been so busy I really havent been taking care of my tanks as I normally would. I found a set of swords I was trying to breed a while back are going at it like rabbits. I cought one female giving birth tonight and was able to catch about 10 fry befrore the other fish found them. I also noticed another female was pregnant too I moved her to a breeding setup and am awaiting batch two.

So it looks like Ill probably breed swords in my plant holding tank, any input on that idea?

Thanks for the info all of that is great info.... If 2.5 watts per gallon is too much what is just about right? 2 watts? I realize watts per gallon is a horrible way to rate for growth but I also put the spektrum. My understanding is that plants do better in the blue spectrum not the red.

I also heard that disturbing the surface of the water releases the vital CO2 but at the same time Iv heard that water movement helps the plants absorb nutrients etc. If the later is true is that movement of water in the tank over the plants or at the surface to flicker the light?

Thanks
Alex R.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-22-2012, 04:45 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogFish View Post
Did I mention 10% off 1st order to anyone that posts a helpful idea on this thread by Friday 9pm eastern time?

So whos giving that discount?!? Me or you? LOL, Either way helping me now lowers the cost of setup and in the long run allows me to offer my products at a lower cost, it also helps me deliver a better product. Its in the knowledgable customers best interest to give the information they think would be best since they are the end owner.

Alex R.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-22-2012, 08:44 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Here is a picture of my 4 hour old fry.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-22-2012, 02:51 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbpwrd240 View Post
... Either way helping me now lowers the cost of setup and in the long run allows me to offer my products at a lower cost, it also helps me deliver a better product. Its in the knowledgable customers best interest to give the information they think would be best since they are the end owner...
Nice spin!!

Since you asked here's my peeves about sellers:

#1 & most annoying - NOT shipping on the date agreed too. Many of us make plans around a delivery. If I'm not home my plants/inverts with either freeze or bake in my Rural route mail box. Not to mention how disrespectful it is to not honor one's word.

> Slow follow-up on Email / PMs
> Substitutions without asking.
> In accurate/lazy descriptions of a plant i.e.. if it's a two leaf emersed split that you imported with no roots...SAY SO!
> Telling me you have snails after I pay.
> Poor shipping packaging, I'm willing to pay, so do it right.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-22-2012, 06:34 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks, I used to be in PR so Im fairly good at it. LOL

Absolutly, There is no excuse for bad customer service or for poor follow up. As for shipping I also agree shipping on the day is a must.

I plan on only shipping Monday and Tuesday standard sized fixed rate boxes express 2-3 day mail. This should stop plants being stuck in the mail over the weekend etc. I want to use styrofoam boxes with ice packs in the summer and heat packs in the winter.

As for snails this is the one thing that concerns me. Hopefully the Wholeseller Im going to be using has clean plants.

We Shall See.

Alex R.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-22-2012, 09:03 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Alex - I think you will do well just by the fact that you putting effort into your business plan. I think were many fail is they don't find a nitch to fill. The plant selling world already has more than enough cheap-low quality level sellers. What there are very few of is businesses that offer top quality adult plants. Now if I want a healthy adult plant I need to watch Swap daily or network with friends here via PM.

You demographic will be different of course. You won't be selling to the "People of Wal-mart" which maybe a good thing. You could own the market of people that learned the hard way about bargin plants. Of course those that understand quality will be your best customers.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode