Sump? What next? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-21-2012, 12:21 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Sump? What next?

So here my new sump and would like some advise, before I everything in place.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-21-2012, 12:29 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Sorry for the bad picture, my phone giving me a fit tonight
Far Right - Filter socks 2 on the side of the tank
First baffle flow is under the bottom - Needs to be shorter, going to make flow 1 inch under
Second baffle flow is over - Thinking I need to drop that a bit? Right now it 12 inches high?
Third baffle flow is under - Thinking this one is OK?
Forth baffle flow is over - Yes it way to high, how high should it be? This area is where my return will be and heaters.
Where do you suggest I put bio balls? I have several gallons of them.
Where do you suggest I put filter foam, I have several of those as well.
Anything else?
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-21-2012, 07:53 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Anyone?

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-21-2012, 11:22 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Look at baffle height this way. If power cuts off that section has to fill up first to spill over, with it already high the water lvl in the sump has to be high. Not much margin for error if power cuts off and the tank siphons down. Of course u can install check valves and all that but from what ive read those require servicing. Im going least maintenance wise. I'd do socks then foam then balls in the middle section. The last baffle id do heater and save pump for last obviously or reserve the last baffle for carbon or purigen if u ever use them the bio balls having an up flow might be hard to keep in the first filtration area after the sock and is why i suggest foam. However if they stay good. Having them constantly moving is a great way to keep them free of debris and bio filtration working at its peak

Foam will get dirty fast if its as dense as i think it is. The socks will help u there.. u may wanna pick up some generic filter pad from ur lfs and stack a few thin slices before the foam to prolong cleaning of foam. Its 1 dollar per square foot at nmy lfs so its a great throw away product

Sump Pimp #7

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-21-2012, 01:02 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD Blazingwolf View Post
Look at baffle height this way. If power cuts off that section has to fill up first to spill over, with it already high the water lvl in the sump has to be high. Not much margin for error if power cuts off and the tank siphons down. Of course u can install check valves and all that but from what ive read those require servicing. Im going least maintenance wise. I'd do socks then foam then balls in the middle section. The last baffle id do heater and save pump for last obviously or reserve the last baffle for carbon or purigen if u ever use them the bio balls having an up flow might be hard to keep in the first filtration area after the sock and is why i suggest foam. However if they stay good. Having them constantly moving is a great way to keep them free of debris and bio filtration working at its peak

Foam will get dirty fast if its as dense as i think it is. The socks will help u there.. u may wanna pick up some generic filter pad from ur lfs and stack a few thin slices before the foam to prolong cleaning of foam. Its 1 dollar per square foot at nmy lfs so its a great throw away product

Thanks for the info.
baffle 2 and 3 are 12 inches high. baffle 1 and 4 are 15 inches high, I am thinking I need to drop down the height of 1 and 4. I was thinking maybe to 13 inches. What do you think?
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-21-2012, 02:07 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Probably would be a safe bet and will help with c02 loss. A 3 inch drop will also cause lots of noise. My overflow had a 3 inch drop basically.. it was wasteful of c02 and noisey. I made a strainer riser and now its a 1 inch drop and is much more manageable. I believe u about have this thing ready to be plumbed and running! Im excited to see the final project complete!

Sump Pimp #7

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-21-2012, 02:21 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Probably would be a safe bet and will help with c02 loss. A 3 inch drop will also cause lots of noise. My overflow had a 3 inch drop basically.. it was wasteful of c02 and noisey. I made a strainer riser and now its a 1 inch drop and is much more manageable. I believe u about have this thing ready to be plumbed and running! Im excited to see the final project complete!

Thanks for the info. I plan to finish up the sump tonight, I have all the plumbing done, just waiting for the sump to make sure it all fits the way I want it to before I glue everything together. I hope to post pictures in the next day or so. I guess in the tank journal area since I have pictures from it being unboxed to where I am at now.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-21-2012, 04:00 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Anything special you do to keep the glass in place until silcone drys? And figure out the exact location on both sides of the sump?
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-21-2012, 09:12 PM
Planted Tank Guru

a few piece of 2x4 on either side and shims underneath to the desired height works pretty good

Sump Pimp #7

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-22-2012, 03:24 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Thanks for the info.

For the last baffle that will hold my return pump, in the flow of things it supposed to have the water flow over from the top. Is that the best way to do it? Would that not cause CO2 to be lost and make it loud? Would it be better off to make that baffle under, is that an option for the return pump area?

The other questions can I have any baffle be the same, like if I want to put something in the middle of 2, and just want the flow to be over the top of both, or is that not a good idea?

Thanks again
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-22-2012, 05:02 PM
Planted Tank Guru

the more under u have the less noise and less c02 loss

Sump Pimp #7

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-22-2012, 05:48 PM
Everyone has an opinion

PTrader: (88/100%)
1. Make sure the bottom of your stand is braced for a glass tank.
2. Look at as many setups as you can to get ideas; do not forget to get input from reefers, they are the sump experts.
3. Decide what kind of tank paramerters (high tech vs low tech, type of fish, type of plants, etc.) you want to support.
4. The more planning you do on the front end will result in less frustrutation and waste of money on the back end.
There is no such thing as "my setup will work for you" but I bet if you look at my links you will get some ideas.......DC
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-23-2012, 03:53 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
the more under u have the less noise and less c02 loss
Just wanted to thank you again for all your help, sump all done, though not happy with this marineland silicone, 48 hours before I can leak test it, ugh. I thought it was going to be 24 hours, but it says 24 hours before I should move the sump.

Anyway I think the sump turned out just the way I wanted it. Will post pictures soon everything is dry and I remove all the tape and supports I have it setup with.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-23-2012, 11:54 AM
Planted Tank Guru

No problem!! I wish i could ask soo many questions but im more of jump in head first kinda person and figure it out later. I like trial and error, however frustrating it may be sometimes!
I look forward to the pictures! Now u get to test the plumbing that was my fav part

Sump Pimp #7

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode