Aquired a new tank, but now what? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-19-2012, 08:28 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)
Aquired a new tank, but now what?

So, long story short someone gave us a "55" gallon tank and stand. Awesome, a free tank and stand, what could be better!

Then reality hits.

The tank isn't really a 55, it's a 75, it needs new top and bottom frames (looks like it was used for reptiles previously), and probably/possibly new silicone. Then there is the fact that not only do we not have room to set it up without ditching furniture but I'm not sure our "landlord" would approve, even though there is nothing in any papers I signed saying I can't have an aquarium let alone a huge one.

I've never re-siliconed a tank before, let alone a big one, I'm not sure I have the skills!

I also don't want to put a lot of time and money into this thing only to have to tear it down and move it not too far down the road (you never know what life will throw at you around here).

But then there is the aquarium obsessed part of me that is squealing with delight over the possibility of having a tank with more room than I would know what to do with...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-19-2012, 08:57 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
Resealing the tank is more intimadating in theory then practice. There are plenty of posts here and elsewhere on the web showing how to do it. The only thing i will say on that is make sure you give it enough time for the silicon to dry and de-gas. Just a thought on tank planning, how about a riparium? The reduced volume of water is cheaper to setup, smaller equipment and probably easier to move should the need arise. If you set it up to run with 30 or so gallons, it would give you a huge space for shrimp on the bottom and keeping it closed top you would be able to grow lots of plants emersed. Heck you could even grow a bunch of carniverous plants like Venus Fly Traps and such. As you could probably tell, I have been kicking this around myself. lol
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-19-2012, 11:34 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayme View Post
So, long story short someone gave us a "55" gallon tank and stand. Awesome, a free tank and stand, what could be better!

Then reality hits.

The tank isn't really a 55, it's a 75, it needs new top and bottom frames (looks like it was used for reptiles previously), and probably/possibly new silicone. Then there is the fact that not only do we not have room to set it up without ditching furniture but I'm not sure our "landlord" would approve, even though there is nothing in any papers I signed saying I can't have an aquarium let alone a huge one.

I've never re-siliconed a tank before, let alone a big one, I'm not sure I have the skills!

Well, just a few things to consider.

1. IMO, the aquarium itself is the least expensive part of the hobby. Adding everything else is where the expense can creap up. So, I don't know if I would mess with it especially if you don't know how perminent you may be.

2. A 75g can weigh alot. The information that came with my 60g said it could weigh 300 lbs or so. Do you have a second story apartment?

3. Since the one you inherited needs work, I think you could scratch your aquarium itch with a much smaller tank until you know you are going to stay put for a while.

I also don't want to put a lot of time and money into this thing only to have to tear it down and move it not too far down the road (you never know what life will throw at you around here).

But then there is the aquarium obsessed part of me that is squealing with delight over the possibility of having a tank with more room than I would know what to do with...

*60g
*Substrate = 50% Florite sand 50% regular Florite
*Lighting 108W of a 216W T5HO Aquatic Life hood 25" from substrate 8.5 hours daily.
*Amarath Redroot, Waterhyssop, Brazilian Pennywort, Water Wisteria, Jungle Val, Moss Ball, Riccia, Nana, Java Lace, Cryptocoryne, Pigmy Chain Sword.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-20-2012, 12:11 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (19/100%)
there is no such thing as too much room in a fishtank :p
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-20-2012, 04:24 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (105/100%)
I'd put the tank to the curb and forget about it. Setting up a 75 gallon will be a hassle.

If and when you decide that you want a large tank like that; you'll be able to pick one up for cheap on craigslist or even a brand new one from a store.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-20-2012, 05:41 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmckmc View Post
A 75g can weigh alot. The information that came with my 60g said it could weigh 300 lbs or so. Do you have a second story apartment?
Good point. A 60g will actually weigh a lot more than 300lbs. 60 gallons are approximately 230 liters, which is 230, kilos, which is around 500 lbs. Of course, you won't really have 60 gallons of water in the, but substrate, wood, rocks will be even heavier than water. Including the weight of the glass, stand, equipment, you'll be at 600 lbs quickly. So, yeah, check your floors before setting up a big tank in an old/cheap home.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Pimp Club Member #313
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-20-2012, 09:12 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
We can support the weight. Ground floor on concrete.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-22-2012, 11:37 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)
I keep saying we shouldn't set it up and my husband keeps pushing me to do it! When did the tables turn? lol

Sent from my HTC Thunderbolt via Tapatalk

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode