Begone, protein film! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-19-2012, 08:18 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Begone, protein film!

So I have some tubing, an air stone and a pump. Will I need to keep aerating the tank to get rid of the weird film on top of the tank or just until it goes away? I'm worried about the CO2 levels is why I ask.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-19-2012, 08:38 PM
Children Boogie

PTrader: (13/100%)
You can scoop with with a net and get fish that will eat it (gourami, molly, platy).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-19-2012, 09:03 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

The film on top of the water? It's sorta cloudy but not. I didn't know I could scoop it with a net, the threads here said aeration should get rid of it. Neat.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-19-2012, 09:10 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
just run airstone at night, it'll aerate ur tank which is good and destroy the protein film. 3 days after doing this it wont be back during the day. just continue the routine until u want it back

Sump Pimp #7

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-19-2012, 09:15 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Awesome, thanks. And I don't want it back, since the film looks so weird... Like I hadn't cleaned it or stuck my hand in while I had lotion on (which I don't. I also picked up some of those Tunze gloves to work in when I trim/move plants).
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-19-2012, 10:24 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (13/100%)
Another alternative would be to take a powerhead and attach a plastic bottle with bottom cut off and stuffed with floss.
Hold the powerhead upside down just below the surface turn it on.
I do this once a week it takes all of 5 minutes if that.
This is set up,run,and put back up.

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-19-2012, 11:12 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)
My film comes back the next day, even running a powerhead with the air. What should I do? I tried the DIY skimmer and it didn't work well.

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-20-2012, 12:20 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)
I just installed a TOM SKimmer (Same as any "Hagen" manufactured skimmer) ... my tank surface is BEAUTIFUL now. Don't regret it for a second - hiding it behind some driftwood.

Eheim Pimp Club - Member 468 (2217)
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-20-2012, 12:47 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
IF you have a canister filter, Just bring the spray up to where it just catches the top of the water surface.. worx for me(80G and 120G) and I had bad film before doing this. Also if you position it right its still whisper quiet.

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-20-2012, 12:55 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)
I have lily pipes, and I have tried raising them but the film rode out all the waves.

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-20-2012, 02:25 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
airstone at night. plain and simple. put it on a timer. i've done it for months now. i recently stopped now as i have a sump and matching overflow which skims the water surface anyway so i have no need. but it worked beautifully before. airstone came on right when lights went out. turned off 10 minutes before c02 came on.. i just had it placed in a corner

Sump Pimp #7

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-21-2012, 07:54 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (278/99%)
I have just accepted the fact that due to the oil on my arms and the amount of time they spend in my tanks I'm going to have some slick on the surface. I have quite a bit of surface agitation on all my tanks and it's still there. Going to any further means to get rid of it are not worth it to me.

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-21-2012, 05:05 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (16/100%)
In my 29g blackwater tank the slick was terrible, covered almost the whole surface. I adjusted the spray bar from the filter and slowly it just about disappeared. It took about 2 weeks but it is almost nonexistant now. Unless I was going to take a picture of the top of the tank it is not enough for me to worry about.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode