Do you use Pre-Filter on on overflow PVC? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-19-2012, 10:47 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Do you use Pre-Filter on on overflow PVC?

Pre-Filter sponge or strainer on PVC pipe for overflow? Anyone use one or just let everything go into the sump filter?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-19-2012, 12:29 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Mine came with a strainer, sponge, and silencing tube. The latter is amazing. It allows me to tune the tube if i adjust flow, water lvl tubing direction etc. I do use the sponge. It only stops the big stuff

Sump Pimp #7

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-19-2012, 02:53 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (35/100%)
I do and usually just take it off to let trapped fish into the sump where they are fine until the next water change when I fish them out. Really quiets the sump a lot and traps a lot of debris.

River Bank

MOP* Nano

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-19-2012, 04:02 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathyy View Post
I do and usually just take it off to let trapped fish into the sump where they are fine until the next water change when I fish them out. Really quiets the sump a lot and traps a lot of debris.
Sounds like I should order both then.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-19-2012, 04:50 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (15/100%)
I don't have any intake pipes in the overflow. Filled it with bioballs, strainer on top of that and filter pad. Very quiet + almost 3 extra gallons of bio filtration. Will try to post some pics later on today as just finished plumbing last night.

NIKON pimp #017
Sump pimp #014
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-19-2012, 05:39 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Please do. Im very interested how ur overflow is quiet like that

Sump Pimp #7

post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-19-2012, 11:20 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD Blazingwolf View Post
Please do. Im very interested how ur overflow is quiet like that
Ok here goes. I tried to draw a diagram of the setup and adding a photo of how it looks from the top. There's a drip plate between bio balls and filter material, and you can find the actual pictures on the sump and bottom of the overflow box on my tank thread: https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/ta...-2-2012-a.html.

Water goes through the ripples > filter pad > drip plate > bio balls > 2x 1" bulkheads > sump. I would guess an empty overflow box would create a waterfall effect and be noisy, unless a perfect water level is kept to make sure it's always full. LFS that built my tank suggested I fill it, seems to work well.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	aquarium design.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	65.7 KB
ID:	42340  

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_2067.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	126.0 KB
ID:	42341  

NIKON pimp #017
Sump pimp #014
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-20-2012, 02:28 AM
Planted Tank Guru

ahh indeed. my overflow is a hang on back. i couldn't possibly fill it with enough media and water to stop the noise. no strainer and silence tube. = slurping sound

Sump Pimp #7

post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-20-2012, 03:27 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD Blazingwolf View Post
ahh indeed. my overflow is a hang on back. i couldn't possibly fill it with enough media and water to stop the noise. no strainer and silence tube. = slurping sound
Not even if you fill it with filter fiber?

NIKON pimp #017
Sump pimp #014
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-20-2012, 04:41 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
actually thats not a bad idea... remove the stand pipes leave an openeing in the bottom, use LARGE bio balls or pot scrubbers and then maybe a piece of foam over the top... hmm

Also, in regards to the hang on back, I covered mine with glad press and seal then folded a old shirt a few times and set it on top kinda like sound dampening, made it SUPER quite

Sump Pimp #8
RAOK Clubber #28
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-20-2012, 04:58 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWA-Planted View Post
actually thats not a bad idea... remove the stand pipes leave an openeing in the bottom, use LARGE bio balls or pot scrubbers and then maybe a piece of foam over the top... hmm
No need for large bio balls. I used egg crate from HD, left an opening for the return pipe. Regular 1" bio balls work as they don't fit through it. Personally I used 1.25" bio balls (got bulk on eBay).

NIKON pimp #017
Sump pimp #014
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-20-2012, 05:24 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvladik View Post
No need for large bio balls. I used egg crate from HD, left an opening for the return pipe. Regular 1" bio balls work as they don't fit through it. Personally I used 1.25" bio balls (got bulk on eBay).

I forget about egg crate...

Sump Pimp #8
RAOK Clubber #28
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-20-2012, 05:54 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
I'll try and get pics of mine but its hard the way my tank is.

Basically there is two overflows in each corner. Their is a piece of PVC pipe coming up with a plastic strainer in it. Then a round foam block on that. Inside the pipe, sits a plastic float, so if for some reason the water raises faster in the tank, the float raise and exposes more of the strainer/foam to water and more drains down, preventing overflow and anything going down the drain.

My sump is a wet/dry so both drains drain down into a piece of filter floss on the drip tray, then over bioballs suspended over egg crate, then through the bubble break, then another big foam block before going to the return pump, which I split off to a T for 2 returns.

20g platy, , 2 x 10g shrimp, 3 x 20g shrimp, 7.5g shrimp and 1 great dane/mastiff puppy.

Sump Pimp #2

post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-20-2012, 10:17 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvladik View Post
Not even if you fill it with filter fiber?
NOPE
however i did pull the strainer out and open my pump up all the way.. the overflow that's designed to only handle 300 gph handled about 400 gph quiet nicely although it was rather noisey

Sump Pimp #7

post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-20-2012, 11:02 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeToChKn View Post
I'll try and get pics of mine but its hard the way my tank is.

Basically there is two overflows in each corner. Their is a piece of PVC pipe coming up with a plastic strainer in it. Then a round foam block on that. Inside the pipe, sits a plastic float, so if for some reason the water raises faster in the tank, the float raise and exposes more of the strainer/foam to water and more drains down, preventing overflow and anything going down the drain.

My sump is a wet/dry so both drains drain down into a piece of filter floss on the drip tray, then over bioballs suspended over egg crate, then through the bubble break, then another big foam block before going to the return pump, which I split off to a T for 2 returns.
Interesting setup, would love some pics.

NIKON pimp #017
Sump pimp #014

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode