Ram with growth off of face - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-19-2012, 01:37 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Ram with growth off of face

Yesterday I noticed there was a large pink bump on my female rams head I treated with melafix and krodons "Rid-Ich" and freshwater salt, as well as a ~30% water change befor medicating

http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y21...lf/Sick%20Ram/

75, Altolamp Compressiceps, Calvus, Frontosa, Dideochromis compressiceps
55, breeding colony Jewels
55, semi-Planted Tropical, Rainbows, Serpae tetras, Gold Rams, German Blue Rams
55, planted discus (under construction)

Last edited by SoDakGurl; 02-19-2012 at 01:42 AM. Reason: added video
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-19-2012, 02:03 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Looks like fungus too me. Melafix should fix it.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-19-2012, 04:09 PM Thread Starter

I moved him to a 10g hospital tank, i have added more salt and melafix, the temp of the hospital tank is 82 ammonia is 0 the NitrAte is 0 and the NitrIte is between .025 and .05 what else would you guys recommend to do?

75, Altolamp Compressiceps, Calvus, Frontosa, Dideochromis compressiceps
55, breeding colony Jewels
55, semi-Planted Tropical, Rainbows, Serpae tetras, Gold Rams, German Blue Rams
55, planted discus (under construction)

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-19-2012, 04:21 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
It's really hard to see - but it doesn't look at all like ick. I think I would treat with Jungle Fungus Clear. Can you describe the spot a bit more? Does it look like a pimple? Is the fish showing any other signs of illness?
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-19-2012, 04:36 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Send a message via AIM to VeeSe Send a message via MSN to VeeSe
That is definitely not ich. Also, positive nitrite readings are really bad for fish and will likely speed up the sickness and weakening of the immune system. I suggest large water changes in the tank with a conditioner like Prime that detoxifies ammonia and nitrites until you can get your tank to cycle.

-VeeSe

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-19-2012, 04:37 PM

As far as I have read "Rams" need near perfect water conditions. High temperature, and require very clean, soft water, they have little or zero tolerances for lesser conditions. They also do not generally live for more than 2 years.
Just information I have found about this species. I wanted to place them in a 125 gal. aquarium with my discus, but have been trying to gain more knowledge from those aquarist that have keep them for long periods of time.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-19-2012, 04:58 PM
GDP
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by boscobear View Post
As far as I have read "Rams" need near perfect water conditions. High temperature, and require very clean, soft water, they have little or zero tolerances for lesser conditions. They also do not generally live for more than 2 years.
Just information I have found about this species. I wanted to place them in a 125 gal. aquarium with my discus, but have been trying to gain more knowledge from those aquarist that have keep them for long periods of time.
The GBR I had was a tank. I had neglected my 20g for a while and it didnt seem to mind at all. However my hardness and all that were spot on.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Canon Pimp Club #026
Disclaimer: Take my advice with a grain of salt. I only give advice based on first hand knowledge or from the knowledge of others. If im wrong please let me know.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode