What am I doing wrong? My tanks is like a microwave, melts everything!!!! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 48 (permalink) Old 02-17-2012, 08:11 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (24/100%)
What am I doing wrong? My tanks is like a microwave, melts everything!!!!

Tank has been up for 2 months now and I've melted so many plants its making me sick and wanting to just give up and shut her down. I put so much money,time, and effort into this that I'm just totally defeated at this point. I've followed everything that I've learned through my research and advice from this forum yet have had no results but from a few stem plants that I don't even want in there. I've probable burned up over 20 plants of blyxa, 10 erio parkeri, vals, HC, downoi, tiawan moss, etc... Nothing has worked, I have some stauro repens in there that hasn't melted but it doesn't look healthy. I've been following the recommended dry dosing ferts from this site for the last few weeks with no improvement. Here's my info:

33gal
GLO t5ho 2x24w hanging about a foot above the tank
Regulated CO2 at 3-5bps (Drop Checker is always a nice green when on)
The light runs from 2-10pm and the Co2 runs from 1-9pm
Dose with Micros and Macros every other day and water change 50% on off day
Treat tap water with prime
Filtration is a eheim 2217 running at full blast so there's surface movement as well as current in the tank.
Have fish but don't overfeed or anything and all my levels seem to check out.

I do have a bit of brown algae in the tank but I'm sure that's just new tank stuff as it's my first algae break since setting it up.

If anyones got any advice or knowledge to spit I'd really appreciate it otherwise I'm scared my next post will read. Getting out of the hobby, lots of good stuff for sale!!

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 48 (permalink) Old 02-17-2012, 09:23 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
are you doing 50% water changes every other day?? I think that might be a little excessive.
post #3 of 48 (permalink) Old 02-17-2012, 09:51 PM
Surrounded by Blyxa

PTrader: (27/100%)
Substrate?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 48 (permalink) Old 02-17-2012, 10:33 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

No wc is once a week and the substrate is 3-4inches of ecocomplete. Wish I would've used Amazonia but its too late to reverse that. I'm just so confused and jaded at this point. Really went all out and dropped a lot of cash.
post #5 of 48 (permalink) Old 02-17-2012, 10:36 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)
Nothing wrong with Eco I've only thrown out Cabomba so far in my tank for inability to grow and that's not related to the eco complete.

What's your fertilizer regime exactly?

Sent from my BlackBerry 9650 using Tapatalk

Eheim Pimp Club - Member 468 (2217)
post #6 of 48 (permalink) Old 02-17-2012, 10:38 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)
I feel like your light level is very low considering how much you are fertilizing.... Are you testing your fert levels?

post #7 of 48 (permalink) Old 02-17-2012, 10:50 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (23/100%)
Considering your lighting has only one reflector, you are most likely not getting enough light to your plants. If you only have slight brown algae, adequate fertilization, adequate CO2, then something with the lighting is insufficient. Bring the lighting down to tank level and work your way up if need be. Or conversely, work your way down, but your plants could die off before you find the right spot. I'd rather deal with excess algae and living plants than no algae and dead plants.
post #8 of 48 (permalink) Old 02-17-2012, 11:10 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I'm following the same regiment suggested on the ei dosing thread for my size tank! How do you test for fert levels? Maybe I will try lowering the light another 6 inches and make sure the drop checker still reads green. Initially I was told my lighting was way too high and to mount it 2 feet above the tank. That's why I built mounting supports on my tank.ugh!!!
post #9 of 48 (permalink) Old 02-17-2012, 11:29 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)
None of the plants you listed are necessarily "pack the first new tank for great beginning growth" varieties. Have you tried rotala, ludwigia, Anacharis?

Sent from my BlackBerry 9650 using Tapatalk

Eheim Pimp Club - Member 468 (2217)
post #10 of 48 (permalink) Old 02-17-2012, 11:33 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (91/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Higher Thinking View Post
Considering your lighting has only one reflector, you are most likely not getting enough light to your plants. If you only have slight brown algae, adequate fertilization, adequate CO2, then something with the lighting is insufficient. Bring the lighting down to tank level and work your way up if need be. Or conversely, work your way down, but your plants could die off before you find the right spot. I'd rather deal with excess algae and living plants than no algae and dead plants.
+1 ... I don't think you have enough light in the tank. What does your erio Parkeri and downoi look like? Are crowns really small? Can you post some pictures of your plants?

post #11 of 48 (permalink) Old 02-17-2012, 11:49 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (11/100%)
I agree 6 " is high enough eco is great substrate slow down on ferts untill the plants get established and crank up that co2 when you lower the light or you might get bba
if your stem plants are melting its really is a lighting issue
post #12 of 48 (permalink) Old 02-17-2012, 11:56 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinmichael77 View Post
I'm following the same regiment suggested on the ei dosing thread for my size tank! How do you test for fert levels? Maybe I will try lowering the light another 6 inches and make sure the drop checker still reads green. Initially I was told my lighting was way too high and to mount it 2 feet above the tank. That's why I built mounting supports on my tank.ugh!!!
When you are having a problem, you should at least test for Nitrate and Phosphate. These are easy cheap test. If you don't have the API liquid test kits for these 2 tests I would suggest getting them.

Standard 10 Gallon (20 x12x12).
Low tech, Sand substrate.
Eheim 2211, and Aqueon Quietflow 10.
Finnex Stingray LED, 20" above substrate
2 Anubias Nana Petite, Christmas moss.
4 Halequin Rasborahs, 5 RCS.
post #13 of 48 (permalink) Old 02-17-2012, 11:58 PM
Wannabe Guru

What is the shape of the reflector behind the light tubes. Is it flat, Half circle shaped, or some other shape, Is it well polished. There have been some different kinds of reflectors on these units. I think some are higher light than others.

Standard 10 Gallon (20 x12x12).
Low tech, Sand substrate.
Eheim 2211, and Aqueon Quietflow 10.
Finnex Stingray LED, 20" above substrate
2 Anubias Nana Petite, Christmas moss.
4 Halequin Rasborahs, 5 RCS.
post #14 of 48 (permalink) Old 02-18-2012, 12:05 AM
Plant Clown

PTrader: (32/100%)
I don't think lighting is the issue. Yes, the reflector might not be great, but remember that it's a 33g ...which is only 12" high. So a foot off the tank is only 21" from substrate, assuming a 3" substrate. The height is equivalent to sitting directly on top of a 90g tank, which would be high lighting if the fixture had good individual reflectors (they aren't *good*, I know, but they should be adequate for low-med light at absolute minimum). It's certainly not high lighting, but my guess is that the lighting is high enough to grow 95% of what's out there.

Perhaps a thorough tapwater test, both straight out of the tap and a day or two later? I'm not seeing anything "wrong" with the parameters you've posted yet.
post #15 of 48 (permalink) Old 02-18-2012, 12:11 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (42/100%)
If I learned anything from this hobby it's to look at co2 1st!

If your fish can handle it, turn it up. You said your drop checker was a nice green. Get that sucker to a green/yellow. Your light sounds fine as kevmo pointed out and if the co2 and ferts are good, plants can focus on gathering the light.

Do you have access to a PAR meter to check your light?

Also, don't always trust the 4dkh solution. It could be off.

-

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode