Switching Tanks - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-17-2012, 03:32 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Switching Tanks

Starting today I am going to start the process of getting my new tank ready.

I am a bit nervous about the amount of work involved. The new tank going in the same location as the old one so it will require a lot of extra work.

Everything is now in for the new tank except my lights which will be in first part of next week.

This weekend I plan do several things

Drill holes in my stand for bulkeheads
Hang Light inside of stand
Cut egg crate to hold soil in place
Install electrical to stand
Plumbing for overflows
Plumbing understand to connect everything to sump
Configure sump

I need to move my CO2 reactor and UV light to the new tank, bit unsure how to plub those into the sump. UV light should be easy that external, I can just put small pump on it in the sump and connect it to the return line after the main pump, will that work?

What about the reactor?

I have the CarbonDoser EXT5000 (External Reactor 5000)

Would I have it go after the return pump for both in and out of the reactor?

Here link to the reactor
http://www.aquariumplants.com/Carbon..._p/ext5000.htm

Then next weekend I plan to empty the old tank, move everything to those big storage bins, put the new tank in place and then put everything back in. Sounds simple?

Anything I am missing? I feel tired just thinking about it, but cannot wait for my new tank to be up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-17-2012, 03:46 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)
I'd offer this thought. Do all the mechanical prep work on Sat. including your hard scape Stop. Do something with the wife Sat night.

Sunday take a long look at the hard scape & tweak it. Then fill & plant.

This is a hobby that is meant to help us reduce stress not ad more. Remember to have fun.

Last edited by DogFish; 02-17-2012 at 07:06 PM.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-17-2012, 04:00 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogFish View Post
I'd offer this thought. Do all the mechanical prep work on Sat. including you hard scape Stop. Do something with the wife Sat night.

Sunday take a long look at the hard scape & tweak it. Then fill & plant.

This is a hobby that is meant to help us reduce stress not ad more. Remember to have fun.

I do enjoy it, and wife going out of town next week, i think on purpose.

I would love to be able to do the hardscape, but I have a problem because all the stuff in the old tank still.

Substrate, need to keep it wet
Cannot move new tank in place until old tank out of the way.
Don't think I could move new tank in place filled with hard scape done?

I was thinking I could not empty the tank to soon, or can I? Would it be a problem for fish, plants to be in storage bin for 5 or so days? I did not think that would be OK, no lights mostly for the plants, the storage bin would still have my canister connected and heater.

Thoughts?

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-17-2012, 04:47 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_PA View Post
I do enjoy it, and wife going out of town next week, i think on purpose.

I would love to be able to do the hardscape, but I have a problem because all the stuff in the old tank still.

Substrate, need to keep it wet
Cannot move new tank in place until old tank out of the way.
Don't think I could move new tank in place filled with hard scape done?

I was thinking I could not empty the tank to soon, or can I? Would it be a problem for fish, plants to be in storage bin for 5 or so days? I did not think that would be OK, no lights mostly for the plants, the storage bin would still have my canister connected and heater.

Thoughts?
How bigs the bin and how many fish we talking? I dont see why it wouldnt be ok, just do some water change everyday, OR get a few cheaps or sponge filters and pick up another tub or two. Should be fine though

Sump Pimp #8
RAOK Clubber #28
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-17-2012, 04:54 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWA-Planted View Post
How bigs the bin and how many fish we talking? I dont see why it wouldnt be ok, just do some water change everyday, OR get a few cheaps or sponge filters and pick up another tub or two. Should be fine though

I have 1 25 gallon bin, and 2 18 gallon bins. About 25 fish give or take.

Don't want to let the bacteria die either that in my current tank gravel, so I know it needs to be wet, but anything else I would have to do with it?
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-17-2012, 05:00 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
for 5 days... should be fine, you could always dump a few hand fulls in your bins just to make sure a culture stays alive I think your pretty good to go.

Sump Pimp #8
RAOK Clubber #28
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-17-2012, 05:05 PM
Wannabe Guru

i literally just did this.... make sure to through an airstone in their (with a pump of course) and a heater!!! I made the mistake of forgetting to put a heater in when i moved as it took me about 3 days to get everything back to being set up. My blue angels were stark white and I couldnt figure out what was going on until i stuck my hand in their 10 gallon and the water had to of been in the high 60s! I freaked out and luckily didnt lose anyone... Just for reference, for 3 days i had 4 angels and bout 20 other fish in a 10 gallon. I changed a little bit of water every day. Its obviously not ideal conditions, but they are back in their home and thriving now

msawdey
-Just another day in paradise-
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-17-2012, 05:21 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
I need to move my CO2 reactor and UV light to the new tank, bit unsure how to plub those into the sump. UV light should be easy that external, I can just put small pump on it in the sump and connect it to the return line after the main pump, will that work?
I wouldn't do it this way. I'd just pull water from one end of the sump for the UV and then dump it to the other end. Overcomplicating the return line, while feasible, is probably a bad idea. What happens if one of the pumps goes out? Unless you have check valves (which are very unreliable) the water will just pump backwards back into the sump.

For the CO2 reactor it might be worth taking water from the sump, going through the co2 reactor, and then directly into the tank as if it were a second return line. A backup return line is not a bad thing.

Either way I would not plumb anything after the return pump unless it is *completely* inline.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-17-2012, 05:40 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (35/100%)
I put the reactor on the return and I would put the UV on its own loop just in the sump.

Just have a good plan for your new hardscape, don't take your old tank apart just for that. I draw on Paint, cut/paste old photos of the tank and cut out the hardscape from that and so on. I thought I might even make up my hardscape using crumpled paper and tape but it wasn't necessary. 5 days may be fine but less is better.

I scooted the old tank out of the way and just scooped the substrate right into the new tank, worked great. Even though the canister will have an active culture the substrate could lose some of its activity if sitting for 5 days.

You will be fine. My problem is always catching the dratted fish, the rest of the move went just fine.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

River Bank

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MOP* Nano
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-17-2012, 05:44 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Simple enough, I just need to pickup a small pump then and make the change to my UV.

So I would need to buy another pump for the CO2 reactor, if I am understand what your saying? Could I just not put it inline? For example, return pump, CO2 reactor, then return line again back into bulk head that returns water to my tank? I really hate to have to buy so many pumps.
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-17-2012, 05:48 PM
Algae Grower

You'll have to ask someone else what the proper flow rates are through the reactor, I've long since moved to low tech (but I run lots of saltwater w/ sumps too). But, if the return pump flow rate is correct, you can run the reactor inline after the pump without problem.
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-17-2012, 05:49 PM
Algae Grower

Also, if you don't want to buy pumps, you can split the return line after the pump, and run that into the UV. Just get a valve so you can choke back the flow through the UV (you don't want high flow through that). You can dump that into either the sump or the tank.
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-17-2012, 05:53 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloo View Post
You'll have to ask someone else what the proper flow rates are through the reactor, I've long since moved to low tech (but I run lots of saltwater w/ sumps too). But, if the return pump flow rate is correct, you can run the reactor inline after the pump without problem.

I have a Mag Drive, MD18, which is 1800 GPH, each of my overflows is 700 GPH, so I think that pump would work to put the recator inline after the pump.
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-17-2012, 05:54 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloo View Post
Also, if you don't want to buy pumps, you can split the return line after the pump, and run that into the UV. Just get a valve so you can choke back the flow through the UV (you don't want high flow through that). You can dump that into either the sump or the tank.
Thanks for the info. I think I will keep it simple just buy small pump for the UV, soon I confirm flow rate.
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-17-2012, 05:55 PM
Algae Grower

Sounds great! I just didn't want to give bad advice on the flow through the CO2 reactor since that's not really my thing.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode