EMERGENCY!! Cracked my Mini-M! :( :( - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-17-2012, 03:53 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
EMERGENCY!! Cracked my Mini-M! :( :(

UGHH HELP! I am super bummed right now.... OK, I need some advice on what to do here... Here is what happened: Today while I was measuring the top for a DIY glass top, I accidentally tapped the corner of the tank with the piece of glass that I am using for the build. The chip/crack is right in the front right corner of the tank, on the outside. Anyway, I am attaching a couple of pictures to show you what I mean. So far it doesn't look that bad. But I'm I am scared it will get worse. Is there anything I can do to prevent it from running. Silicone?? I spent so much time and effort on making sure everything is perfect in this tank. Because it's an ADA, I want to do it proper justice. I feel like its ruined forever now. Also, my girl got me this tank for xmas. so I feel really bad if it broke....anyway, I just needed a place to vent. I am a such a clutz sometimes!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4032.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	42.6 KB
ID:	42206  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4033.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	52.1 KB
ID:	42210  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-17-2012, 03:58 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (44/100%)
A tap shouldn't crack it... it looks like only the outside of the tank if it's not leaking, but the added pressure over time might cause it to leak. You may want to reduce the water level, then put some silicone on that right away, and brace that corner and wait to dry.

Not an expert in aquarium repair :/ maybe someone else can offer more help.

current:

| retired:

|
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-17-2012, 04:00 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by xenxes View Post
A tap shouldn't crack it... it looks like only the outside of the tank if it's not leaking, but the added pressure over time might cause it to leak. You may want to reduce the water level, then put some silicone on that right away, and brace that corner and wait to dry.

Not an expert in aquarium repair :/ maybe someone else can offer more help.
exactly what I was thinking...but I was so nervous I didn't even want to touch it...

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-17-2012, 04:07 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (44/100%)
Also, maybe time to go find that 3-year warranty card.

current:

| retired:

|
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-17-2012, 04:14 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (19/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by xenxes View Post
Also, maybe time to go find that 3-year warranty card.
And I hope you held onto your receipt just in case

Who would have thought that plants like dirt?!
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-17-2012, 04:17 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

thanks guys. i think we have the email receipt. but i'm not sure the warranty will cover this. it was an accident really.

post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-17-2012, 07:10 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
it there an actual crack starting anywhere? It looks like a surface chip right on the corner.

My GF took a plate to my mr aqua 13g, right in the exact spot as your mini, and knocked out a chip, no cracks. this was over 6 months ago. your looks a little bigger, but because its a small tank, I think it should be ok other than asthetics....if you ever rescape just turn the tank around.

still though that's a burn, i feel your pain.

edit: dont hold me to my suggestion, I take no liability! if there is an actual crack starting, it's probably toast, especially if you rent!

/
/
/ 12g rimless - not yet started / Cannon Pimp Club #009 -T3i
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-17-2012, 07:21 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (19/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by frrok View Post
but i'm not sure the warranty will cover this. it was an accident really.
Don't tell them it was an accident. Tell them you were filling up the tank and it cracked. BAM! New tank!

Take advantage while you can

Who would have thought that plants like dirt?!
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-17-2012, 07:50 PM
Surrounded by Blyxa

PTrader: (27/100%)
Tough to tell from the photos but it looks like it just chipped off the edge of the glass? No actual crack from what I am seeing.

post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-17-2012, 07:55 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by shinycard255 View Post
Don't tell them it was an accident. Tell them you were filling up the tank and it cracked. BAM! New tank!

Don't do this. It is called lying.

If you don't have to swim to 'scape, it just aint big 'nuff. - macclellan
10 Gallon Planted Tank
To all of you that own an Eheim-
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-17-2012, 08:04 PM
Honeycomb Master

PTrader: (122/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by shinycard255 View Post

Oh come on... That's really dishonest.
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-17-2012, 08:07 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Not saying I approve of the dishonesty, but... accidently tapping the edge of the glass should not have chipped / cracked it like that.... to me thats almost a manufacturing defect.

ALSO your not trying to milk extra out of them, just replacing what you have.

Sump Pimp #8
RAOK Clubber #28
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-17-2012, 08:40 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Well. Thanks everyone. I laid some silicone in the outside and a tiny bit in the inside where the tow panes meet. Its ded not cracking through the glass. I emailed the supplier and was just honest about the situation. Well see what they say... To be honest, I'm more upset over that fact that if it leaks I would have to start this layout over. Obviously, I would get a new one if I could. But if I can't it's no biggie. I guess I would have to be content with the asthethics, most people I know won't even notice anyway. It urks me tho. Hahaha

post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-17-2012, 08:54 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWA-Planted View Post
Not saying I approve of the dishonesty, but... accidently tapping the edge of the glass should not have chipped / cracked it like that.... to me thats almost a manufacturing defect.

ALSO your not trying to milk extra out of them, just replacing what you have.

Glass is a hard, brittle material. When you whack it with other hard materials, it breaks. This isn't a manufacturing defect, its a property of the material used.
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-17-2012, 08:58 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Conley View Post
Glass is a hard, brittle material. When you whack it with other hard materials, it breaks. This isn't a manufacturing defect, its a property of the material used.
I don't think he whacked it. He said he tapped it.

I am kind of surprised that ADA would have a manufacturing defect on one of their tanks. I thought they were extremely reliable when it came to making tanks

If you don't have to swim to 'scape, it just aint big 'nuff. - macclellan
10 Gallon Planted Tank
To all of you that own an Eheim-

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode