LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-16-2012, 11:57 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Sump Layout

30 Gallon Long
36.6" x 13.1" x 17"

Here what I am thinking.

Far right will have both filter sock holders, one for each drain.
They are 4 inches wide each. I as going to put them on the back, so the first section on the right will need to be around 8 inches, with the water going over the top.

The next area will go under, I am not sure what to put between this?

The next big area, no idea as well if I should break that down to more sections?

The far left will have the return pump and 2 heaters. The water will go into this area over the top. Would it be better to change that to go from under the bottom?

For the areas I don't know what should be done with, I have about 500 bioballs, and about 10 foam filters, around 3x8 I think.

Keep in mind the tape not exact or staight, the glass inserts will be correct

Thanks

36.6" x 13.1" x 17"
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0025.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	41.6 KB
ID:	42193  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-17-2012, 07:37 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

I took out my filter sock holders tonight from the box, and I was sent the wrong ones, they are 7 inches. If I use them it would take a lot of room up, but it would also really clean the water up.

Anyone have any thoughts on layout? I really want to put this together tonight.

Thanks
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-17-2012, 07:53 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
with your baffles i would go under then over and have your 2nd chamber full of bio media (scrubbies or ceramic noodles or said bio balls but would need an air stone somewhere to have them work and then the rest as return section and just use the ones you have its gunna be the only mechanical filtration your going to need (i keep discus abd thats how my sump is set up on my 120g)

boxhead.

Sent from my iPhone

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-17-2012, 12:38 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
MAN if u go back to sump pictures u had made. the CPR bio bale is awesome.. this has unequivocally become my media of choice... simple layout means easy cleaning.. the less baffles u use, IMO the better. filter sock, a few pds for mechanical if u want, bio bale and a big foam pad if u like at the end

Sump Pimp #7

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-17-2012, 12:51 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD Blazingwolf View Post
MAN if u go back to sump pictures u had made. the CPR bio bale is awesome.. this has unequivocally become my media of choice... simple layout means easy cleaning.. the less baffles u use, IMO the better. filter sock, a few pds for mechanical if u want, bio bale and a big foam pad if u like at the end

What does the CPR bio bale do? Would I put that in the same area where my drains come into the sump?

Thanks
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-17-2012, 01:00 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_PA View Post
What does the CPR bio bale do? Would I put that in the same area where my drains come into the sump?

Thanks
if u look at the layout i have a pre-mechanical filter pad for the drip pan, it cuts down on noise
the bio bale is the white stuff down below.. it has a huge amount of surface area of bacterial colonization. water clings to it very well for drip applications

i believe people put too much emphasis on mechanical filtration.. good turnover rate, good oxygen levels, and a healthy bio filtration will give u all the sparkling water u desire

Sump Pimp #7

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-17-2012, 01:15 PM
Planted Tank Guru

and now that i have one.. if i were to build my own i would have a few notches about an inch or two above the bottom, cut a piece of food crate and make a drip application for the media whether u do that for the sock side or have a baffle that overflows down to do that... its very good at aerating the water, the downside, u have to seal that section or ull burn all ur c02

Sump Pimp #7

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-17-2012, 01:24 PM
Planted Tank Guru

BLUE. --- BIO BALE
RED ---- DRIP PAN, Mechanical padding
yellowish green --- water lvl in media area. lower fom having pressure build to sealed sump
green ---- water lvl in pump area

EDITa: SORRY FORGOT PIC FIRST TIME
Attached Images

Sump Pimp #7

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-17-2012, 05:00 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Thanks for the info.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-17-2012, 08:08 PM
Algae Grower

If you use a sump, keep it mostly filled with water, and have your bio media submerged. (identify your overflow level- this is the water that returns to the sump with the pump off). Keep the water level just below that.
By having the biomedia submerged, you reduce CO2 offgassing. Water dumping into the sump already off gasses alot, and oxygenates the water, so your biobed will be fine. You won't have anaerobic spots with loose bio media. The bio activity needs is lower because the plants take care of a lot. you don't need saltwater level bio beds....

Adam
SAPS member

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-17-2012, 08:35 PM
Planted Member

I bought some Japanese filter Matt and added it to my sump and it works awesome! Definitely you should consider adding Japanese filter matting as part of your medium!

The Fraternity of Dirt #56
Just because its dirt doesn't make it low tech

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode