Best Way to Clean Old Tanks - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-16-2012, 03:25 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)
Best Way to Clean Old Tanks

So I have several tanks that have been used in a greenhouse to keep pond plants over winter. They currently have some real tough hard water stains on them as well as dead algae on them too. I tried using soap/water and a sponge but to no avail. Whats the best way to get them nice and clear again?

are you a sink or source?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-16-2012, 03:26 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (6/100%)
I have used vinegar to clear up those hard water stains and it works well.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-16-2012, 03:36 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Vinegar is your friend! Use a gallon. No really, it comes in gallon jugs. Dump the whole thing in there, fill the tank to the top, and let it sit overnight. You'll be able to wipe off the hard water stains and anything else that was in there with nothing more than a paper towel.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-16-2012, 03:48 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
yes Vinegar!!
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-16-2012, 03:51 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Vinegar is good! I use it to clean all the time My issue is these are medium size tanks (30 and 55), and that would be a lot of vinegar. So I was thinking of a stronger acid that might disassociate completely in water, and of a high molar concentration, that way i could just pour some down the sides (of course there would be water in the bottom cause you never add water to acids, you add acids to water).

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-16-2012, 04:02 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zherico View Post
Vinegar is good! I use it to clean all the time My issue is these are medium size tanks (30 and 55), and that would be a lot of vinegar. So I was thinking of a stronger acid that might disassociate completely in water, and of a high molar concentration, that way i could just pour some down the sides (of course there would be water in the bottom cause you never add water to acids, you add acids to water).
What?

ETA: This is exactly what I did to clean out my 55: Get the hose running into the tank. Dump in the gallon of vinegar. Fill up the tank the rest of the way with water. Let it sit overnight. Wipe it all down with paper towels. Siphon out the vinegar water. Use tank. Total out of pocket for vinegar was $2.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-16-2012, 04:41 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (23/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophie and Mom View Post
What?

ETA: This is exactly what I did to clean out my 55: Get the hose running into the tank. Dump in the gallon of vinegar. Fill up the tank the rest of the way with water. Let it sit overnight. Wipe it all down with paper towels. Siphon out the vinegar water. Use tank. Total out of pocket for vinegar was $2.
What to what part? Never water to acid because the acid would splash. Basically I just think zherico wanted to use a stronger acid that would clean the stains quicker as opposed to soaking it over time.

I use vinegar and baking soda to clean out gunked up filter tubing. Works like a charm. Pour some soda in, shake it around to distribute, cap one end, pour vinegar in and cap the other end. Make sure you keep it contained and rinse afterwards. Nice clean pipes.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-16-2012, 04:49 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (16/100%)
I used vinegar to get rid of hard water stains that had been on the tank for ten years, worked pretty good.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-16-2012, 07:24 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
I use vinegar and a razor blade (glass tanks only, not acrylic). I don't soak the tank, I use a 50/50 vinegar/water mix in a spray bottle.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-16-2012, 11:08 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by freph View Post
What to what part?
Quote:
a stronger acid that might disassociate completely in water, and of a high molar concentration
This what.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-17-2012, 12:27 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (28/100%)
The lazy gal way: soak some paper towels with vinegar. Lay them on the bottom or side, whatever's down. Wait 10-15 min. Turn tank over; repeat. Works like a charm. This works great on glass tops that are cakey, too. Minimal effort. Just rinse it off.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-17-2012, 12:30 AM
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (101/100%)
I use CLR then wash with soap and water. Easy peasy.

My 65g jungle October rain
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-20-2012, 10:39 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks guys, seems like vinegar wins, so I put 2 gallons in the 55 and filled the rest up with water. Thanks!!!

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-20-2012, 10:47 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophie and Mom View Post
This what.
I was just being a dork and way over thinking things. But if you want to learn a little more about "strong acids"

http://chemistry.about.com/od/acidsb...acids-list.htm

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode