Thoughts/Opinions: - Aquarium Underlayment Idea - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-15-2012, 10:39 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (29/100%)
Thoughts/Opinions: - Aquarium Underlayment Idea

I have an unused yoga mat lying around and am in need of something for under my glass tank. I dislike the option of the pink insulation foam as it will be seen when viewing the tank.

The Yoga mat is 1/4 inch thick and I was thinking of cutting it down and using it. The tank is approx 20g. (24x14)

Good Idea? Bad Idea?

thanks for your input!

Duff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-15-2012, 11:37 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
I don't know what a yoga mat looks like. I'd get a thin piece of Styrofoam, cut it to size, and use that. You can even paint it the color you want.

Hawkian

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-15-2012, 11:57 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (9/100%)
I used a yoga mat for two smaller tanks (<10 gal) and its worked just fine so far. Just put the empty tank on the mat on the workbench and use an exacto knife to cut to size. I just used a permanent marker to blacken the edges that show.

It technically was not an "unused" yoga mat, but fortunately my wife is short and hasn't missed it.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-16-2012, 12:19 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)
I've got a yoga(purple) mat under one, (black) foam that used under floating laminate floors under #2, hypo-alegectic carpet foam(silver) under #3.

Lots of options out there. I was going to use 3/4 wide window insulation but, I didn't have enough.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-16-2012, 12:30 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Hawkian - I'm not sure how to describe a yoga mat, but it's like semi soft Foam Rubber that one might use to line drawers but has no holes in it and is pretty thick. the Styrofoam seemed like a bit of a waste since I'd have to buy such a large piece and only use a small portion if it (if you mean the pink stuff?)

DRtankd - I'm still laughing - good that she is short!

Dogfish - great ideas I didn't think about.

I've got the mat so I'll try that (double it up) as the tank is pretty heavy and see how it looks.

Thanks Guys!!

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-16-2012, 12:43 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Duff - I think a 20g will be fine with a single layer.

Off all I like the Carpet foam the best. It was a scrap from when I remodeled the living room. It was the top of the line from Home Depot. It barely compressed under the 40gl tank. That one's acrylic so it supports the full bottom.

I like that window foam on the roll. It's black & 1/2" thick. It would be perfect for a rimed tank. Not expensive either maybe $5
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-16-2012, 04:15 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Dogfish, I have a small carpet center near me, I'll stop by over the weekend as see if they have any left overs or check out the window foam. I don't think I have ever noticed or have seen the window foam - I'm curious now.... Thanks!

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-16-2012, 04:25 AM
Planted Tank Guru

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-16-2012, 02:54 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
On most glass tanks, putting some sort of mat under the tank is just going to void your warantee, and make it more likely that the tank is sitting on an uneven surface (as the mat compresses over time).

There's no reason to do this, and plenty of reasons not to, on commercial glass tanks. Acrylic tanks are a whole 'nother matter.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-16-2012, 03:10 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Rich how can putting a foam gasket between a plastic rim and a stand create an uneven surface?

If anything it's going to conform to the irregularities that may be found on the stands surface. If anything they are going to aid in leveling the tank. That is the very reason gasket materials are used.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode