Melting jungle val - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-14-2012, 02:31 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
Melting jungle val

Hey! I have recently got 3 very nice jungle vals from this forum and one has been melting a bit. Not the entire plant but some of the leaves. I can see it's large cells dieing in the leaf if that makes sense to anyone? lol. Is this just from stress or could it be from a deficiency. As of now I'm only using flourish root tabs but I've ordered macro and micro to dose in my tank. I've got 2 18" T5HO over my tank, both 10,000K (I can't find 18" bulbs that I like so the 10k are going to stay). That is over a 20H. I have it sitting right on top of the tank so maybe it's too much light? Also, the Val that is melting is in a low flow area. It's put out a runner already (I think- It's a thick green thing from the base of the plant that has grown into the flourite) so I guess that is good? Thanks for the help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-14-2012, 02:39 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Oops, I meant to post this in the plant discussion. Can a mod move it for me? Thanks!
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-14-2012, 02:49 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (59/100%)
Vals are known to melt a little after you first plant them. A couple of mine are doing the same thing right now, been about a week after planting. They should shoot back up after they settle though.

"Space and light and order. Those are the things that men need just as much as they need bread or a place to sleep."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DECOMMISSIONED

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DECOMMISSIONED

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-14-2012, 02:51 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (20/100%)
Large vals do not ship very well. When I used to get them i would shear off much of the plant and watch the new leaves race to the waters edge.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-14-2012, 02:57 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Ok, thanks! I did trim the leaves when I got them and a majority of the are already back to the top of the water except for the few melting ones. Should I just trim them off?
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-14-2012, 05:26 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Are you using Excel (Glutaraldehyde) for a source of carbon in the tank? Vals need to be accustomed to Excel very slowly or they will begin to die (they may never do well with Excel), there are other plants like this as well - my lotus does not like Excel and many mosses will not do well either.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-14-2012, 05:42 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrazyFish View Post
Are you using Excel (Glutaraldehyde) for a source of carbon in the tank? Vals need to be accustomed to Excel very slowly or they will begin to die (they may never do well with Excel), there are other plants like this as well - my lotus does not like Excel and many mosses will not do well either.
This ^ , Vals can be quite sensitive to excel in high doses.

They should be ok if you already have a runner taking root. If it's just older leaves melting and the new inner leaves are ok, then it's probably just adjusting to your tank. And yes, remove the melting leaves.

I started with one last year, now I can't control them in my 55g, there's easily 40+ now

/
/
/ 12g rimless - not yet started / Cannon Pimp Club #009 -T3i
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-14-2012, 06:07 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Nope, as stated only using Flourish root tabs at the moment. I ordered micro and macro on this forum and it should be here this week but other then that, I'm not using anything. I have RO/DI water and I use RO Right by Kent to make it harder for my shrimp.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-15-2012, 01:01 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (49/100%)
The above advise is sound. Chances are a few will melt back a bit, but you shOuld get new growth quickly, especially since you'll be starting ferts soon! Don't worry, you'll soon have more than you'll ever want! They multiply real quick once they start sending runners out. I started with one 8 inch plant, and had over 20 within a month.
Feel free to pm me with any questions you have!

Matt

40B High Tech Tank - 10g Shrimp and Moss Tank

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode