LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-14-2012, 01:50 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
am i on the right track?

I have a 20 gallon long.
Fluval subtrate
Pressurized co2 (3bps)
Coralife t5 ho (1 31watt 10k, 1 18watt 6700k)
Eheim ecco 2232
Dwarf baby tears
Dwarf hair grass
Java moss on driftwood
And some plants (Idk what it is..)

Tanks been planted about 2 weeks ago, timer for co2 and lights runs from 8am to 4pm (8hrs)

I just wanna know if I'm on the right track, 25% water change once a week, and haven't doses any fertz yet.. I have tho bottles of seachem iron,phoporous(spelling) nitrogen, excel, potassium, and One that recommend to put in refrigeration after use.

When do I start dosing, etc? The lights enough for my tank?! Need help pls..

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-14-2012, 03:19 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (18/95%)
49w of HO light four inches above the water line? I'd wait for someone more knowledgeable to chime in, but I think you'll need to hang that light up higher, that's a huge amount of light so close to the substrate.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
– a 40g reef
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-14-2012, 03:47 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

About how much higher? I don't got no hanging kit, any suggestion on how to , raise it up higher?

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-14-2012, 04:17 AM
OVT
Carpe Diem

PTrader: (144/100%)
I do like the way the tank looks and I do respect the effort that already went into it. I would start fertilizing now, on the lean side. As far as the light goes, I personally do not see an issue. Obviously, different things work for different people and I might be in a minority: all my tanks are very high light tanks. If you decide that you have too much light for your needs, you can always un-screw one of the bulbs.

A great start!

Courtesy * Integrity * Perseverance * Indominable Spirit * and Self Control
Tenets of TKD
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-14-2012, 04:27 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Thanks OVT
It's my first planted tank so I'm hoping it comes out okay. I'm fairly new, and I don't know where to begin when it comes to fertz.. I do have fertz.. but what do I start with? Can I dose all fertz at once, what fertz should I dose of the following fertz that I listed that I have?
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-14-2012, 07:17 AM
OVT
Carpe Diem

PTrader: (144/100%)
There are literally TONS of post on fertilization - some confusing, some more common sense. Ferts are in two groups: NPK (primary basic fertilizers) and traces and people commonly dose them on alternate days. For pre-made fertilizers, Seachem, Kent, and ADA are good commercial brands. Start with dosing instructions on the bottles and see how your plants react. After a while, you will figure out that pre-mixed fertilizers do get expensive. That's one of the reasons people buy specific chemicals and mix their own.

Read some of the posts, give it a try with commercial pre-mixes and ask questions: we are here to help out.

Courtesy * Integrity * Perseverance * Indominable Spirit * and Self Control
Tenets of TKD

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode